·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, one of my primary criteria is that you really shouldn't rallyx a car you have a strong emotional or financial attachment to. As a result, I've been rallyxing an NA Miata this year in PR.

One huge upside to this year's Nationals was this was the first in history that all of the classes got to complete an equal amount of runs as the surface held up very well and there were no significant incidents to hold up the event. That was very nice because that's what I am used to and it made for a great 1st Nationals experience.

At our local site, it's really flat and really gravelly, drains well. We don't usually run when it's really wet around here since the dirt is actually clay and there is no traction to it, at all. Indianola: rolling hills, thick grass with deep packed rich dirt underneath and it rained Sat. morning. Our brand spanking new hard compound DMacks proved to be pretty useless Sat. morning as we were scrambling for traction going up the grassy hills. We had 1 competitor in our class with mud/dirt tires and he snagged a 40 sec lead that couldn't be recovered. The other 2 courses, not nearly so much of an issue but did leave us wondering if we should/would need to buy a set of tires just for Nationals if we want to win.

There was an 09 Ralliart that took 15th and 16th places in MA, but all of the other Evos were earlier generations and placed higher. But they may have been novices as there were a ton of those, in all the classes. I was a Nationals novice but this was my 5th season of rallyx, so I can't blame poor driving on anything but myself and possibly unfamiliarity with the surface type.

It's been confirmed that Nationals is returning to Indianola, Iowa in 2016, so another long tow across the country in late September. Time to look for similar sites to get some practice in and maybe look for more tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts