Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think the evo will be collectible and rebuilt much like the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's are today in 30 or 40 years? Customizing and putting in new engines and technology like the shows overhaulin and others do today? Was just thinking this would like some opinions or viewpoints. Thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I highly doubt it. There are way too many evos and sti/wrx's around. By way too many I mean, too many generations. It would be as valuable as a muscle car but you could always try it for your personal pleasure :D

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I think they might be. Take into account 30 years of the car either being riced out, modded to all hell, or crashed, and I think there won't be that many in good shape left.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Hmm, I think there's certainly the potential of the cars becoming semi-collectible once they are out of production and there's no direct successor (which I understand to still be up in the air in many ways). That said, I don't see them ever getting to the point where the inflation adjusted price will be much higher than what they cost new, but I think they'll always hold some of their value for *coolness* for lack of a better term.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
The big problem the EVO has vs. other muscle cars is scarcity. Very few are sold so few are exposed to them. The only people in the future that would care are guys that own them, who want to go back in time. OR some kid who dreamed about owning one and never did.

There were literally millions of muscle cars made, so millions were exposed to the cars in different ways. I just don't see people having a craving to get into an EVO with Recaro seats when they are 50-60 years old and fat with bad knees and hips.

I am not worried anyway. No way I would keep an EVO that long. There is always something better coming along that is faster etc. The other issue is styling. The 8 and 9 already look highly dated.

Finally, we won't have any oil or gas available in 30 years, so unless you are going to add that modern battery high powered drive train, forget about it. LOL

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
UNLESS this is the LAST model/generation .. it will be somewhat important

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it may be possible that these cars become collectible, but it will be to a niche market. Drive around your neighborhood and I guarantee you don't see many Evos or STIs.

Now talk to your parents about when they were growing up. I just talked to my Dad and he said you would literally be driving around and see lots of muscle cars that are worth a lot today.

I think if you keep the car bone stock and low mileage then some time in the future there will be a kid who really wants to drive an Evo X since it was the last, or a guy/gal who sold their Evo X to buy something new and then wants to mod one again before they get to old. Will they want to pay huge dollars amounts?..I don't think they will. Look at Evo XIII and IX. Even with low miles and good condition which I believe are rare, people aren't paying huge amounts of money for them. The person who originally bought it probably is barely breaking even when you calculate inflation into it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
X - no, not enough street cred
IX - maybe

Look at Evo XIII and IX. Even with low miles and good condition which I believe are rare, people aren't paying huge amounts of money for them. The person who originally bought it probably is barely breaking even when you calculate inflation into it.
Heh, a 5 year old car that bring in ~80% of its original cost isn't typical. This, before scarcity had a chance to set in.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
some of the Evos definetly will. but it will be the older rally versions, not the evo X.

Cars are built in a much bigger mass these days making them common.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
No, maybe the 6 and earlier as they didn't come out here (US) as Evos and has less of them built.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Does anyone know how may Xs were built : total production and the numbers imported into the US and Canada?

We have some data on the CT9A: ~12-14K total annual production, depending on year. The USDM saw relatively inelastic demand, selling ~4K per year from 03-07. Notice how I said 07. Mitsubishi brought in ~8200 IXs in 06, knowing there would be no 07MY. Even though the IX is a one year model, it was actually sold for 2 years.

To put the numbers in perspective, there are more than ten times as many Porsche 911s in the US as Evolutions (per the original number imported). There are more Jaguar XK couples/convertibles in the US than CT9A Evolutions (again, as per the original count).

I have little doubt that X numbers are lower.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
The evo is the definition of a collectors car. High performance and groundbreaking for its era (300hp and AWC) as well as being the top of the line model for a manufacturer. The fact that manual transmissions will be outdated doesn't hurt the chances of it becoming a classic (look at 4 speeds now-a-days). Yes the people who love the cars are usually ones who are into the import scene however it has a lot of people who love/desire it across all age groups in that scene. Anyone from kids to adults can appreciate it. I'm sure the supra will be the classic car to grab for years to come just because it dominated the mid to late 90's. You'll also see the nsx, rx7, sti, r32, gtr, etc become the muscle cars of our generation. I'm sure the evo won't be the cream of the crop but I'm sure auctions like Mecum and Barret will have evo's in the future.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The evo is the definition of a collectors car. High performance and groundbreaking for its era (300hp and AWC) as well as being the top of the line model for a manufacturer. The fact that manual transmissions will be outdated doesn't hurt the chances of it becoming a classic (look at 4 speeds now-a-days). Yes the people who love the cars are usually ones who are into the import scene however it has a lot of people who love/desire it across all age groups in that scene. Anyone from kids to adults can appreciate it. I'm sure the supra will be the classic car to grab for years to come just because it dominated the mid to late 90's. You'll also see the nsx, rx7, sti, r32, gtr, etc become the muscle cars of our generation. I'm sure the evo won't be the cream of the crop but I'm sure auctions like Mecum and Barret will have evo's in the future.
Idk bout all that as Supras, r32s and NSX are rare and difficult to get here, hence the high "value" GTRs, rx7s are not. Sti and Evos are also not in low numbers. In 30 years I just don't see them going for the same money as cars from 30 years ago get today. They simply make more cars nowadays so they are easier to get but of course I could be totally wrong.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts