Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this will be my first post on the forum as I am new into the evo game. I purchased a 2008 and just wanted to make sure the car wasn't going to blow up on my because I know the dealer I got it from had the car tuned. The lead to me getting a compression leakdown test and come to find that I have a compression of about 130 140 130 140 psi and a leakdown of 32% and 16% on the rest. The guys at Moore Automotive here in VA docked it up to being a burnt valve from faulty tuning from whoever tuned it last. Apparently the guy who tuned it advanced the timing way to much and had an e85 tune on it ( at least this is what it looks like to the guys at first glance) and it caused this problem. What do I do about this? I was quoted about $4500 for basically rebuilding the head but this isn't including the machining shops extra work or the valves. I can't just drop this kind of money right now or not for awhile. I have thought about doing the work myself which will save a lot of the costs but still parts aren't cheap. I'd love to hear thoughts on this.

BTW, car has full bolt ons and injectors not sure what fuel pump or lines are in it as I just purchased the car and only have had it about a week. Thanks in advance!:imstupid:

·
Vendor
174 Posts
Hello this will be my first post on the forum as I am new into the evo game. I purchased a 2008 and just wanted to make sure the car wasn't going to blow up on my because I know the dealer I got it from had the car tuned. The lead to me getting a compression leakdown test and come to find that I have a compression of about 130 140 130 140 psi and a leakdown of 32% and 16% on the rest. The guys at Moore Automotive here in VA docked it up to being a burnt valve from faulty tuning from whoever tuned it last. Apparently the guy who tuned it advanced the timing way to much and had an e85 tune on it ( at least this is what it looks like to the guys at first glance) and it caused this problem. What do I do about this? I was quoted about $4500 for basically rebuilding the head but this isn't including the machining shops extra work or the valves. I can't just drop this kind of money right now or not for awhile. I have thought about doing the work myself which will save a lot of the costs but still parts aren't cheap. I'd love to hear thoughts on this.

BTW, car has full bolt ons and injectors not sure what fuel pump or lines are in it as I just purchased the car and only have had it about a week. Thanks in advance!:imstupid:

Hey I'm sure that we can help you out in this situation! Shoot a PM or drop an e-mail.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Accept my apology in advance for kicking you while your down, but this is the kind of thing that should have been looked at before purchase. That said, you should be able to get the head rebuilt for less than half that cost, and with good parts. Buy the parts, pull the head and take it to the machine shop of your choice. You should have plenty of local shops familiar with the evo, VA is a well known evo modding hotspot.

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
VA is a well known evo modding hotspot.
What the what? VA is EVO Modding Hotspot?? I must be living in a cave! The only popular shop I know is Moore and possibly Ptunning. Any other I should know about?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts