Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I finally had time to play around with the 3M DI-NOC vinyl carbon fiber I've received in the mail. I took off the fugly chrome mirror caps and wrapped them in the carbon fiber vinyl stuff. It turned out decent. The rounded corners were a pain in the butt to do.

For those of you who are wondering how to remove the mirror caps, they are buckled in via 3 clips at the top and side of the inside mirror housing. There's two clips at the very top of the inside mirror housing. If you tilt the mirror down, you can see them. Use a phillip to snap them out of place. The third one is to the side of the mirror housing. This clip is very fragile and can break if you and and snap it out of place too hard. These clips are all made of plastic, so yes they will break if you don't push them out of the way gently. After you get the 3 clips pushed out, the mirror cap should easily slide out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
that.....is ugly. sorry bro
He didn't had the painted ones. He had chrome ones.

Taking that in consideration it's better like that since Chrome ones are ugly.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that.....is ugly. sorry bro
The dealership put chrome on the car. They were going to charge me $340 for a set of black mirror caps, so I decided it's cheaper to just cover the chrome with black carbon fiber vinyl. Or do you think I should have stayed with chrome?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Well done.

·
Registered
404 Posts
hey im in the same situation... mine came with the chrome mirrors and i left it alone because it reminded me of my S4 but anyways i've been wanting to try this...
1. where did you get the material???
2. how do you take off those caps???

·
Registered
888 Posts
The dealership put chrome on the car. They were going to charge me $340 for a set of black mirror caps, so I decided it's cheaper to just cover the chrome with black carbon fiber vinyl. Or do you think I should have stayed with chrome?

well that makes sense. its better than chrome for sure

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1. where did you get the material???
http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/

2. how do you take off those caps???
If you read the very first post of this thread, I've already explained it there. Take a look at the backside of the mirror caps in the photo. You can see 3 clips along the top of the caps (2 at the top and 1 at the side). The bottom clips are just there to hold the mirror caps in place on the mirror housing. They aren't really clips.

Anyways, I'll wait a while until the price of the real black painted mirror caps go down. $340 is a lot of money for a set of 2 mirror caps. That money could be allocated elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
yeah 340 is definitely money better spent elsewhere. For that much I would have done what you did or plastidipped them. Anything is better than chrome in my opinion...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Much better than chrome.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think your dealership was full of shit. Chrome is an add-on option. They're supposed to charge you if you want chrome, not the other way around.

I think it would look better if the faux cf print was straighter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts