Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when is a 4" intercooler really need? lets say my goal is about 500whp with a upgraded turbo, built block, all bolt ons and other supporting modds? i've searched and there hasnt been a direct answer for this

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
Higher surface area helps with consistency and increases oxygen density. AMS is good to 780 whp

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
our stock intercooler can support up to 500whp
The stock intercooler can support a lot of whp... the problem is it can't handle heat/heatsoak/pressure very well. All the ETS, AMS, etc... intercooler are rated for high pressure as well as prevent heat soak due to the size.

I seen this on the OEM intercooler. Go do some pulls in 35F weather. Intake air temp is cold, but the manifold temp is still pretty high since the intercooler heatsoaks quickly after the runs and transfers all the heat to the intake charge post the intercooler.

·
Registered
676 Posts
From ETS's site...

20x12x3.0 Bar & Plate Core - 700hp Direct Replacement
20x12x3.5 Bar & Plate Core - 750hp Direct Replacement
20x12x4.0 Bar & Plate Core - 820hp Direct Replacement

those aren't WHP numbers I'm sure but it gives you somewhat of an idea. Ive seen plenty of dyno sheets of cars making 500+whp on 3.5'' cores.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
realistically im never gonna see such high numbers but i am upgrading my intercooler to a 3.5 just for better flow and cooling...and looks lol.
keep in mind the stock one is only 2.5 and is already capable of hold up to 500whp

had to re-edit ...CLIPSE3GT is right

this is taken from another forum:
In terms of intercoolers, as the compressed air is compressed, it gets warmer. As it passes through the intercooler, the air gives off heat to the intercooler. And the intercooler gives off that air to the outside air that passes over the intercooler. After a while, the intercooler "heat soaks" and can't absorb as much heat from the compressed air to cool it. The temperature of the compressed air to the engine goes up and that increases the chance of detonation in the cylinder.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Stencil ftw....

3.5" is well enough for ya

it's not the size but how ya .... oh wait wrong thread

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Living in Phoenix...heat soak is a biatch.

forget it. 4" because racecar ;)

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
ets 3.5 will see you right.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.