Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Evolution X GSR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 X GSR that is haunted by demons. I will get a 4WD service required light as soon as I turn the wheel while moving, it will also disable the S-AWC, and I cant change the modes between tarmac, gravel, or snow anymore. The light will disappear when I turn the car off and then back on. The code is also able to be cleared using EcuFlash DTC clear, but it does not tell me which code has been cleared. The car does have 75k miles and this light started to appear after a cold -20 degrees Fahrenheit day in the middle of winter, which lead me to believe the pump had died. However, the AYC pump still makes adequate pressure and the electric motor still runs well, and visually looks like no corrosion on the exterior. Maybe the fluid broke down under the extreme temperatures and the system should be bled? I have been unable to pull any codes using Evoscan, using either 2.9 or 2.8. And going to a Mitsu dealership is not an option because I live in rural Montana, with the closest one being a little over 500 miles away. I have checked other things that are known to cause this issue such as steering wheel angle, uneven tire diameter, bad alignment, and none of them seem to be the issue. Any suggestion before I blow 2000$ on a new pump just to find out that its not the issue?

- Thank you :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Might be a silly answer but if it fixes the issue…
Have you messed with any wires or connectors behind the rear seat?

If you remove the upright of the rear seat you’ll notice these white loom plugs on the wheel arch. I believe these connect to wheel sensors and a whole host of other things. When I’ve been messing with my cage and disconnected them to make it easier I’ve forgot to connect them multiple times, fired up the car and had the error on my dash… gone wtf then remembered I probably didn’t connect those plugs back. Even if you’ve done any work in the area or removed and reinstalled the rear seat have a look if you’ve pinched any of those wires

·
Registered
2014 Evolution X GSR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be a silly answer but if it fixes the issue…
Have you messed with any wires or connectors behind the rear seat?

If you remove the upright of the rear seat you’ll notice these white loom plugs on the wheel arch. I believe these connect to wheel sensors and a whole host of other things. When I’ve been messing with my cage and disconnected them to make it easier I’ve forgot to connect them multiple times, fired up the car and had the error on my dash… gone wtf then remembered I probably didn’t connect those plugs back. Even if you’ve done any work in the area or removed and reinstalled the rear seat have a look if you’ve pinched any of those wires
I have never messed with the anything under or around the rear seat area. I will go check after work. You may be right about it being something regarding the wheel speed sensor, but I have no idea how to actually check them for any faults.

·
Registered
2014 Evolution X GSR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2014 X GSR that is haunted by demons. I will get a 4WD service required light as soon as I turn the wheel while moving, it will also disable the S-AWC, and I cant change the modes between tarmac, gravel, or snow anymore. The light will disappear when I turn the car off and then back on. The code is also able to be cleared using EcuFlash DTC clear, but it does not tell me which code has been cleared. The car does have 75k miles and this light started to appear after a cold -20 degrees Fahrenheit day in the middle of winter, which lead me to believe the pump had died. However, the AYC pump still makes adequate pressure and the electric motor still runs well, and visually looks like no corrosion on the exterior. Maybe the fluid broke down under the extreme temperatures and the system should be bled? I have been unable to pull any codes using Evoscan, using either 2.9 or 2.8. And going to a Mitsu dealership is not an option because I live in rural Montana, with the closest one being a little over 500 miles away. I have checked other things that are known to cause this issue such as steering wheel angle, uneven tire diameter, bad alignment, and none of them seem to be the issue. Any suggestion before I blow 2000$ on a new pump just to find out that its not the issue?

- Thank you :)
[UPDATE] Downloaded MMCodingWriter to read DTC. Managed to pull C161E, which ive heard is usually the death message of the pump. Which makes me even more confused because the pump is definitely making pressure. Maybe sensor issue? AWC ECU? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2014 Evolution X GSR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
FIXED IT YALL. Turns out 1 bar is NOT usually the pressure the pump should hold. However I figured if it's still holding pressure then the seals were still okay. The motor was not powerful enough to produce the required pressure. No joke I smacked the motor with a wrench really hard, and it actually fixed it. Getting now 20 bar of pressure. Probably the most cost efficient fix I've ever done! Even if its only temporary :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are keeping the car for a while and plan to track it you could consider going to RS rear end and just removing the AYC rear end. Pretty sure this removes the need for the pump

·
Registered
2014 Evolution X GSR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are keeping the car for a while and plan to track it you could consider going to RS rear end and just removing the AYC rear end. Pretty sure this removes the need for the pump
I saw that a lot of people got rid of the whole AYC thing because it was causing them too many problems, and to be fair when my winters get below -20 Fahrenheit I prolly should too. I still would much rather spend that money on other mods tbh. Ill see how long this motor and pump can last for and then probably just attempt to rebuild the whole unit and motor, and if that fails ill prolly go that route. Ill update this thread again when the motor dies fully :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts