Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you browse around the news section, you'll see conflicting reports about the MANUAL (the true manual, not the DSG style box) trans in the Evo X. Some sources say it will be a 5 speed manual, while others report a 6 speed.

Or perhaps, both will exist. For instance, while the evo 8 was a 5 speed, the evo 8 MR was a 6 speed. Although from what I heard, the 6 speeds broke easier and cost more.

So do you think they'll have 5 speed, 6 speed, or both? Do you think the 6 speed will be weaker? Or worth the extra money? Discuss.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Uh, I'm hoping that the manual is a 6 spd. The Mazdaspeed6 has a 6 spd. The MINI Cooper S has a 6 spd (not comparing MINI to the Evo, just saying...). The STi has a 6 spd. So the Evo X has gotsta have a 6 spd.

I do think that I may go with the dsg-like auto cause I'm in sales and will need to be talking, etc. Also, I'll never be able to clutch and shift faster than the dsg-like tranny. Is the 0-100km/h time faster with the auto???

Regards,
David

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
looks like the 6 speed is faster

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i did, and there is a HUGE variance. a slow 6speed driver is as fast as the twin clutch with a good driver. a good driver is significantly faster

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
I would rather the 6 speed. I like to have the feeling that I'm in control of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, but my point is that the SST box isn't inherently faster. It's just faster for most people. Mind you, much of that "red" area will be taken up by people who leisurely shift gears and take several seconds to do so.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
In other words, if you shift fast enough to make the synchros cry, then you're in good shape.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
6 speed it is :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
They say the automatic is more convenient, but in reality it might not be so. Consider this:

While on the phone, the two handed approach isn't very manageable, however regular driving might prove that shifting with the paddles is a huge inconvenience. When you turn the wheel, you turn the paddles, and if your hands are always in the 10o clock- 2 o clock position, the paddles will be there, but what if u drive with one hand, or in a different position, you will have to awkwardly move to shift, or constantly move back to the designed position to shift. Also, the gears will be sequential. There will be no 5-3rd gear down shifting.

I have a feeling people who can't drive stick are gonna buy the "auto" and its going to be a very nauseating, jerky ride that they will get frustrated with very quickly, while killing their engine.

I'm not a fan

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They say the automatic is more convenient, but in reality it might not be so. Consider this:

While on the phone, the two handed approach isn't very manageable, however regular driving might prove that shifting with the paddles is a huge inconvenience. When you turn the wheel, you turn the paddles,
Actually, you don't, and that's a big gripe of mine. The paddles are apparently static. :-(

and if your hands are always in the 10o clock- 2 o clock position, the paddles will be there, but what if u drive with one hand, or in a different position, you will have to awkwardly move to shift, or constantly move back to the designed position to shift.
Well, I think you can alternately use the center console shifter to move up and down gears.

Also, the gears will be sequential. There will be no 5-3rd gear down shifting.
I feel you here, but a double tap shouldn't be that bad.

What would have been cool is if they had a standard manual shifter that acted just like a standard manual shifter, only you didn't have to use the clutch.

I have a feeling people who can't drive stick are gonna buy the "auto" and its going to be a very nauseating, jerky ride that they will get frustrated with very quickly, while killing their engine.
I don't think it will be jerky. The car rev matches and such on downshifts, which is the only time it would really make it jerky.

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
If I recall correctly, on the MR-2 spyder (latest gen) when they first offered a clutchless manual it was just like that.. just a very normal looking 6-spd manual shifter.

and yeah it'll revmatch absolutely everything, supposedly perfectly every single time.

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
nvm it was just +,-

.. but it is just a true manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch

"One of the MR2's more interesting features is the clutchless manual transmission. This is a true manual, with a friction-based clutch, but the actual clutch-out-change-gear-clutch-in operation is handled by the car itself, while the driver tells it to shift up or down via steering wheel pushbuttons or a pretty chrome shifter knob in the usual place. This knob is clearly not for an automatic, because it has no Park or Drive positions - reverse, neutral, plus, and minus are the choices. You start out in neutral, move to S, and then pull to move up a gear or push to move down"

From what I've read it was very slow shifting too... but this was like.. a bunch of years ago and the first I had ever seen of a clutchless manual in a non-supercar

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.