Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 398 Posts

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to get an after-the-fact build thread started. I'm going to start with my engine bay.

Motor:

Block: MAP 2.0 L short block, new revised 2011+ OEM core
Pistons: Wiseco forged 1400HD, 2618 alloy, 86.0 mm stock bore
Rods: MAP Ultimate Duty X-beam, 7/16" ARP L19 bolts
Rod bearings: ACL Race Series, standard size
Crankshaft: new OEM unit, stock stroke
Main bearings: OEM
Main bolts: OEM
Oil: Shell Rotella T6 5W-40
Oil cooler: custom 16-row bar & plate, -8 AN lines

Cylinder head: original OEM unit
Valves: new OEM valves
Springs: Brian Crower single
Retainers: Brian Crower Ti
Camshafts: Cosworth MX1
Head studs: ARP
Head gasket: OEM
Valve cover: custom powder coated Flat Candy Red

Induction, Injection, Ignition (and Exhaust):

Turbo kit: AGP cast-manifold, twin-scroll T3
Turbo: Precision Turbo 6262 CEA journal bearing, 1.0 A/R turbine housing
Wastegate lines: custom stainless steel -4 AN
Wastegate solenoid: Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS w/ -4 AN fittings
Intake: custom 3.5" intake w/ Treadstone 3.5" MAF housing
Air metering: speed density, MAF voltage ignored
MAP sensor: Omni 4-bar
Intercooler piping: ETS 2.5" piping, custom powder coated Flat Candy Red
Intercooler: ETS 3"
After cooling: Snow Performance methanol/water injection, 625 cc/min nozzle
BOV: HKS SSQV v3

Catalytic converter: TurboXS 3" TIG-welded 100-cell metal spun HFC
Catback: Invidia 3" N1-style single-tip exhaust
Hangers: Torque Solution

Injectors: FIC 1100 cc/min high impedance
Fuel rail: Cosworth High Volume
FPR: Tomei Type S adjustable
Lines: stock
In tank pump: DeatschWerks DW65c 265 L/h, stock fuel filter bypassed, return siphon drilled
Inline pump: AMS inline kit, Walbro GSL392 255 L/h external

Ignition coils: stock
Spark plugs: factory NGK's, 0.018-0.019" gap
Coil cover: custom, machined aluminum, chrome-plated and powder coated black over top.

Drivetrain:

Transmission: Jack's Transmissions upgraded unit, modified center diff
Transmission fluid: Red Line MT90 + MT85 mix
Shifter bushings: Torque Solution
Gate selector bushing: Torque Solution
Clutch: Clutch Masters FX400 6-puck, sprung
Clutch master cylinder: stock
Flywheel: ACT Streetlite
Transfer case: stock
Transfer case fluid: Motul 90PA
Rear diff: stock
Rear diff fluid: Motul 90PA

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My first visit to the local Mustang Dyno...

3rd gear, really shitty spool:

4th gear, just as shitty spool:

Dyno boost is 2 psi high, actual boost was 32 peak, tapering to 28.5 at 8500 rpm.

Full boost is achieved on the street in 3rd at 5000 rpm, 4th before 4800 rpm. Not sure what the deal was on the dyno that day.

My original BB-X setup:

Uncorrected.

Updated progress:

Green is my initial 6262 tune, blue is the same tune where I took it to the dyno above, red is today's tune.

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reserved for more pics, videos

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in for timeslips
Me too! We only have 2 more drag events this year... and the word is they have been WAY busy :(

I might make a road trip to Vegas just to be able to run 2500 feet closer to sea level, and on a better-prepped track.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Congrats on the new build! Quick question though, who did your powder coating and what was the turn around time on the valve cover? It looks great! Im in utah county and need to get some things powder coated. Also in for timeslips, I would make the trip to Vegas' strip though MUCH better than RMR.

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the new build! Quick question though, who did your powder coating and what was the turn around time on the valve cover? It looks great! Im in utah county and need to get some things powder coated. Also in for timeslips, I would make the trip to Vegas' strip though MUCH better than RMR.
Thank you. :D

Shawn @ Vincere, previously Unknown Coatings does all of my powder coating. He's not really taking much work currently, but I can ask him if he can get some stuff done quick for an Evo guy.

Next post to contain VD pulls showing spool characteristics!

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

These first two are 3rd gear pulls, showing spool and peak power pretty well. The second pull was started earlier at 3500 rpm. As you can see, 20 psi is seen by 4800 rpm, and 30 psi at 5200.

In 4th gear, you can see 20 psi is achieved at 4500 rpm, and 30 psi by 4900.

Boost isn't holding the same up top on acceleration-type pulls vs. dyno-oriented pulls. I must have a boost leak or something.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
ok...engine bay is fucking awesome...just sayin, :D

and not to flame, but does the turbo have more in it? 600 for your setup seems a bit low. great results though...just getting worried if my 6266 will look similar to that.

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok...engine bay is fucking awesome...just sayin, :D

and not to flame, but does the turbo have more in it? 600 for your setup seems a bit low. great results though...just getting worried if my 6266 will look similar to that.
The twin scroll T3 turbine housing (1.0 A/R) is probably a bit of a restriction. I estimate I'll be able to make 650 once I turn up the boost but will be limited after that.

edit: oh, and thanks for the compliment :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
keeping my fingers crossed because if i have to research and purchase a new turbo setup i will cry, rofl! X's been in the shop for like 4 months.

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
keeping my fingers crossed because if i have to research and purchase a new turbo setup i will cry, rofl! X's been in the shop for like 4 months.
Is this your first high-powered car build? Just make sure to keep your expectations reasonable. One of the reasons I moved to the Evo platform was to keep myself from getting tempted to set any records, like with my last platform. I've learned (forced myself, is more accurate) to be happy with what I would have previously considered mediocre results.

Your 2.2 build should be peachy with the 6266 and this kit, though.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Is this your first high-powered car build? Just make sure to keep your expectations reasonable. One of the reasons I moved to the Evo platform was to keep myself from getting tempted to set any records, like with my last platform. I've learned (forced myself, is more accurate) to be happy with what I would have previously considered mediocre results.

Your 2.2 build should be peachy with the 6266 and this kit, though.
yup, had the 8, but stock turbo..this will be the 1st high power build. :wallbash:...gotta admit, it's exhausting, :D

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very clean engine bay... Looks awesome!! GL with the build:thumbup:
Thank you sir!

I have some nice results from a few tuning runs today. First of all, I was out tuning my fuel & ignition maps to build more boost on the secondary rev limiter, and some datalogging revealed ~3.8 s 0-60 and about 10.5 seconds to 115 mph, so I am predicting low 11's at the track @ 122-124-ish.

Secondly, after installing a relic catch can from my previous project car and making a few more tweaks, I think I'm seeing a bit more power under the curve!

Blue is before, red is after.

With my PCV valve confirmed leaking and issues with dipstick blowout and lots of oil seepage and small leaks from crankcase pressure, I think the catch can setup venting from both front and rear valve cover ports really is helping.

Next step is to get this thing to hold more boost up top. I suspect the SSQV I have is leaking or this wastegate isn't holding exhaust pressure well enough.

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, dont replace your PCV valve, just cut that vacuum line and put a check valve in there. The check valve wont fail nearly as easy as the PCV valve
I actually have 2 of those Kynar check valves on their way to me, but I went ahead and just eliminated my PCV system altogether, the same way the SSP catch can setup does it.

I really need the venting volume of both ports under boost, so no PCV for me.

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going through my last build's logs, I came up with this fun graph which shows my old built BB-X setup vs. my new 6262 setup, both with moderately aggressive tunes:

I think that truly illustrates how great of a value this AGP turbo kit is.

1 - 20 of 398 Posts