Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't read any reviews for the rockford sound system in the evo, so I went and checked for the one in the lancer. I am assuming it is the same system.

http://www.acarplace.com/reviews/2008/lancer.html

...Our test car had but two options: a Rockford Fosgate speaker system, and a hard-drive-based sound/navigation system. The combination cost $3,500, which is about 20% of the car’s list price, but the sound was superb; the clarity was excellent, bass was as boomy or clear as desired, and there was no shortage of power. Recording CDs on the hard drive was as easy as putting them in; any CD would be immediately recorded, with song and artist titles taken from the CDDB. They could be deleted if not desired afterwards, and if the CDDB made a mistake, it could be overridden with a virtual keyboard on the touch screen. Recording was fast and the CD was played as it was recorded.

The system looked and sounded great, but it took a while to find certain controls that should have been easy to locate, and changing setting took attention from the road. To change bass or treble, for example, the sequence is SET button; Sound Control; Audio Control; and then fiddle with various buttons. Bass, midrange, treble, and the subwoofer could all be controlled separately with a fancy display. A digital sound processor allowed for stage, live, and hall settings as well as “normal.” We did miss having a volume and tuning knob; and the system seemed to take a long time to boot and get a CD running from vehicle start. It was clever enough, at least, to fade sound in rather than blast out at full volume immediately.

The navigation system was also feature-laden, but after we finally figured out how to get to the destination entry, it was easier than most. State, city, street, and house number could be entered in any order using on-screen keyboards, and it remembered the last five cities and states, saving time. The system also allowed searches for points of interest, and had a simple “return trip” feature. Guidance seemed good and the map was clear, with the usual features like breadcrumbs and North up vs. Heading up. Choosing routes was noticeably faster than it was with DVD-based systems.

The stereo/nav system included an information section, to provide us with our height relative to sea level, a barometer reading, and outside temperature; the vehicle position with locations of the GPS satellites; detailed trip data as a table or graph; vehicle support info; a calendar and maintenance dates; and mobile phone data. The system worked with the Bluetooth telephone integration to provide information, dialing services, and hands-free operation.

Included in the navigation system was one of the best preference-setting systems we've seen, because it used the full functionality of the touch screen to provide good descriptions and an easy interface. You could set the behavior of the power locks, the wipers (intermittent operation could be speed sensitive, for example), and numerous other systems, easily and without doubt. The system was also tied into the climate control, so that it showed the status of the climate control when the knobs were turned...
Pretty cool looking system. If anyone is considering getting the MR, I think upgrading to premium is worth it.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Wow, that does seem like a nice system.

I'm also impressed by:
State, city, street, and house number could be entered in any order using on-screen keyboards
That's awesome.

That said, I'll be going aftermarket, and I'll wait a year or so to do it. I want a lower price with more features. :)

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
I'm waiting for the rockford system to hit the mmc options catalogue. ( My stock sound system is terrible).
If anyone finds the parts number for this please let me know.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.