Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO yesterday while I was cleaning my car, I took the wheels off to give them a good clean. I noticed something. The tires are severely worn on the outside. The car has a couple hundred miles short of 6k all stock everything. I haven't really driven it hard and 95% of the miles or more are highway miles. I went to the dealership today to see why the stock alignment is so bad off. I was told they could align it for $69.99 plus tax. That the stock alignment was perfect and the dealership is not responsible if the factory messed up. Then he went to say he knows the factory didn't mess up and never has. He also said that it's a sports car and it is meant to be like that for sports handling. I said no it's not, if it were, then it would be more worn in the middle to the inside. He said I was wrong because he has been working on cars for five years and knows more about cars than me. This would be the head mechanic talking. Anyways, I left because I was becoming extremely pissed at hearing him ramble on in circles. My question is, any advice?

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
if your tires were worn on the outside that means you have positive camber which is shitty for handling. Mechanic is a dumbass. My reccomendation? Get it aligned at a reputable shop.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
yup most of the cars that comes out .. are out of proper alignment.

yeah do an allignment & rotate ur tires .... as for dealership .. some may cover the alignment some may not ..

·
Registered
807 Posts
SO yesterday while I was cleaning my car, I took the wheels off to give them a good clean. I noticed something. The tires are severely worn on the outside. The car has a couple hundred miles short of 6k all stock everything. I haven't really driven it hard and 95% of the miles or more are highway miles. I went to the dealership today to see why the stock alignment is so bad off. I was told they could align it for $69.99 plus tax. That the stock alignment was perfect and the dealership is not responsible if the factory messed up. Then he went to say he knows the factory didn't mess up and never has. He also said that it's a sports car and it is meant to be like that for sports handling. I said no it's not, if it were, then it would be more worn in the middle to the inside. He said I was wrong because he has been working on cars for five years and knows more about cars than me. This would be the head mechanic talking. Anyways, I left because I was becoming extremely pissed at hearing him ramble on in circles. My question is, any advice?
The factory alignment is garbage, generally its way off like you described. Looks like you have a lot of positive camber if your tires are worn on the outside. So basically that "guy thats been working on cars for five years" is a shithead and knows absolutely nothing like most people who work in dealerships. You were right, it should be more worn on the inside edge of the tire for performance handling. You generally can't get anything out of dealerships, they'll talk your head off with excuses. Your only two options are to go back, freak out in the middle of the showroom so you lose them customers and then they might take you more seriously or take the hit, get a proper alignment and buy new tires if you have to.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
My factory alignment was perfect. You guys act like you have adjustability with your camber or something. You have a bolt you can flip. BFD. It's either -1 or -2 degrees. That's it. And if you meant toe (the only truly OEM adjustable parameter) then you should have said it.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
up front you don't have any adjustability but the rear is a different story. What makes it worse is the plate that holds the camber bolt in place is a cheap piece o crap that gets stripped very easily.

·
Registered
807 Posts
My factory alignment was perfect. You guys act like you have adjustability with your camber or something. You have a bolt you can flip. BFD. It's either -1 or -2 degrees. That's it. And if you meant toe (the only truly OEM adjustable parameter) then you should have said it.
No performance car should come with positive camber from the factory adjustable or not. You alignment may have been perfect but a lot of others has been shit including mine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. I called the number from Mitsubishi's website and talked to a rep. He said that is not right either and that they will have a case manager call me between now and tomorrow afternoon to discuss it in further detail. He also said that the alignment is covered under warranty for the first 10k miles of 6 months, whichever comes first. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get more info.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does handle like shit to be honest lol. I have hit a few curves a little hard just messing around and the car would get a little loose and wanna go side ways.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just couldn't get over the fact that he was trying to tell me that the factory makes cars perfect and never mess's up. He kept bringing up the fact that the tires are high performance tires and they are soft. I said yes, but with any tire, you have to have a little wear on them before you can notice things like this. Then he continued to try and say well they are soft and gonna wear. I was like no shit, really now.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
No performance car should come with positive camber from the factory adjustable or not. You alignment may have been perfect but a lot of others has been shit including mine.
It doesn't come with pos camber, because it's physically impossible. You'd have to have bent lower control arms to push them positive.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It doesn't come with pos camber, because it's physically impossible. You'd have to have bent lower control arms to push them positive.
I'm not arguing with you, but I haven't hit any bumps hard, no pot holes, or anything that could bend the control arms. The roads I travel 94% of the time have very few rough bumps if any that are ruff. I also slow down the a snails pace while going over speed bumps no matter what their size may be.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine was also out of wack from the factory, dealer fixed it no questions asked. Here in Canada, it's covered for the first year.

Rear is fully adjustable and front is toe only IIRC.

·
Registered
384 Posts
When I first got my car the rear was toe in/out a bit. It was blamed on how the strap the cars down for shipping; that lots of them end up that way.

It's a good theory IMO.

And the dealership wouldn't look at my car when I asked them to. That was the last time I dealt with them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Figured I'd update you guys on the situation. After speaking with a few people from Mitsubishi over the phone about the incident, I get a call today back from them. They told me I should be getting the problem resolved very soon and that I should be hearing back from the head regional manager for my area from Mitsubishi by tomorrow. Thirty minutes later the stlearship, I mean dealership gives me a call asking when I want to make an appointment about getting it realigned lol. So I'm going tomorrow at 4 to get it fixed at no cost to me. I'm guessing Mitsubishi jumped their ass.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts