Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have been reading on evo forums, graphite gray evos are more likely to get in accidents. Are GG X's the new Lightning Yellow evo VIII's? I'm not sure who's at fault in these accidents, but they always seem to be GG. I have a GG X and am getting a little paranoid. I happen to live right next to a korean market, you can get the idea... haha.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
http://www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/carcolorandsafety.pdf

Background
A frequently asked question of Foundation staff is "What is the safest car color?" Psychological studies show that color has an effect on behavior, and there are other studies about color and conspicuity, but there are very few studies examining the impact of car color on crash rates.
"Colors can create conditions that can cause fatigue, increase stress, decrease visual perception, damage eyesight, increase possible worker errors, and negatively affect orientation and safety" (www.colormatters.com). Studies examining traditional color psychology find blue is relaxing and red increases heart rate and blood pressure. Color affects mood and people make purchasing decisions based on color. However, it seems unlikely that a person who dislikes the color orange, for example, would purposely crash into an orange vehicle.
General studies have also been done to show the most visible colors for day and night; however, there are no studies directly addressing the relationship between car color (conspicuity) and crashes among passenger vehicles. The study below discusses colors for fire fighting equipment, and presumably it would have some relevance for passenger cars too:
It is noted that the color red, used for fire fighting equipment, is one of the least visible of vehicle colors. Optometrists note that, for its high visibility, lime yellow should be used by fire and rescue teams, as well as favored by trucks and car buyers. Lime yellow falls in the middle of the color spectrum (Schuman 1991).
Limeyellow evoX anyone?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a GG X and I got rear ended the 2nd day I had the car. Yeah, the 2ND DAY. Temp tags and all. I got out and said to the guy, "You realize I JUST got this car, right??" and he goes, "Uhhh, no?"

Moron.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shit, I was debating between GG and WW. Should have got the WW. I guess I never really thought of how the weather can affect what type of color car you have. Thanks for confirming my fears I guess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I used to have a Mazda6, they said a Silver mazda6 was the most prone to being rear ended since during a foggy morning it almost blends into the mist/fog. Mine was a Steel Gray and I got rear ended 3 times total in that car. after the third time I went with a White STI. Didnt have any accidents there so I went with a WW evo.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn. Living in socal, the only weather we ever have is foggy winter mornings and some light rain. I think I bought the wrong color for the type of weather I live in. People are going to think I'm crazy if I connect weather and car color.

·
Registered
381 Posts
black was accident prone and a cop magnet to me. i bought my subbie brand new in 2004. I had 4 accidents with it 3 got rear ended 3 times and side swiped once alll are minor accidents. it was vandalized twice everything was fixed and the car looked brand new all the time until last march 2010 a tree fell on the front end. still the car was drivable and the engine was not damaged at all.so i got it painted laguna seca blue and so far no accidents and never got pulled up with that new color even once.

oh i forgot when it was obsidian black i always get a ticket for equipment violation (exhaust, tints, having a in dash dvd and wing) all that stupid stuff. i average at least 2-3 a year. but with LSB nada.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Someone on here had a gg recently new and Philly a d got side swiped at night (someo e came into his lane without seeing him or looking) and the crash rolled his car.

The gg is a cool color, and while I slight prefer the apex silver and so I got one, my wife later pointed out that the gg blends in more with the concrete at night.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I have a GG and I just got it back after an accident. I was having too much fun and had too much confidence in the abilities of the car. It worked out ok though, not a major accident at least!

One nice thing about GG is that it doesn't show scratches nearly as bad as other colors.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a GG and I just got it back after an accident. I was having too much fun and had too much confidence in the abilities of the car. It worked out ok though, not a major accident at least!

One nice thing about GG is that it doesn't show scratches nearly as bad as other colors.
That is one nice thing I like about the color. Hides scratches and rock chips very well.

I guess as a consolation: If if I ever need to slip away from the pigs at night, I can just turn off my headlights and disappear. LOL jk... kind of.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Bunch of my friends are cops and I still call them pigs(^I know your just joking). Dad's an ex-cop. I think you get the picture.
Hey now, I wasn't the one who said it, but to be fair my GF works for the PD.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts