Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie on the forum looking for advice on a daily driven small 4door car to accompany a Lotus Elise. Been looking at several used Mercedes C63AMG and used 4 door BMW M3 in the market ($40,000 to $45,000 budget). Been told by several friends to check out the Mitsubishi Evo X and Subaru Impreza STI before making my decision.

The Lotus elise with exige exterior mods (wing, side scoop, front spoiler, rear diffuser + katana 2 supercharger + Larini exhaust roughly 250hp) is my dedicated weekend car. Looking for a fun 4 door compact car to drive during commute and occasional runs on the canyon.

Looking @ several Evo x on the lot. GSR (5 speed manual), MR (6speed dual clutch). Local dealers wont allow test drives on the Evo X and only allow test drive on base Lancer. Should I consider the GSR (faster and better performance) over the MR (luxury edition)?

Is the Evo X more entertaining than the C63 /M3 experience? Want a fun and reliable car to put some mileage on for the next 5 years.

Many thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Newbie on the forum looking for advice on a daily driven small 4door car to accompany a Lotus Elise. Been looking at several used Mercedes C63AMG and used 4 door BMW M3 in the market ($40,000 to $45,000 budget). Been told by several friends to check out the Mitsubishi Evo X and Subaru Impreza STI before making my decision.

The Lotus elise with exige exterior mods (wing, side scoop, front spoiler, rear diffuser + katana 2 supercharger + Larini exhaust roughly 250hp) is my dedicated weekend car. Looking for a fun 4 door compact car to drive during commute and occasional runs on the canyon.

Looking @ several Evo x on the lot. GSR (5 speed manual), MR (6speed dual clutch). Local dealers wont allow test drives on the Evo X and only allow test drive on base Lancer. Should I consider the GSR (faster and better performance) over the MR (luxury edition)?

Is the Evo X more entertaining than the C63 /M3 experience? Want a fun and reliable car to put some mileage on for the next 5 years.

Many thanks for your advice.
I don't know that I'd say the GSR is faster or performs better. Both cars are pretty capable. The real difference, other than the leather bits and such, is the transmission. Do you want a true manual or the SST?

You'll definitely have a ton of fun in the Evo, but the C63 and M3 are in a totally different class. They are luxury cars with gobs of power. The Evo is going to be a totally different kind of fun. If the dealership wont let you test drive one, I suggest you find someone near you who has one and ask for a drive. You'll either be sold, or you'll instantly know that it isn't for you. If you're looking for straight line performance out of the box, the Evo probably isn't for you. If you're looking for a car that seems to defy the laws of physics when things get twisty, look no further than the Evo.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Yes the X is more fun, can't vouch for the m3, but I drove the m6 and it's no where near as fun. A lightly modded MR would make a perfect DD. You won't have the status symbol of the other two but that's up to you. I say X and that's coming from a family of all german cars, I mean all....

·
[Local Team Member]
2,523 Posts
honestly, i would never buy an evo or sti if i had an Elise. since you already have one of the best driver's cars in the world to play with, i think that something fast AND comfy makes way more sense. an M3 or C63AMG or even an S4 will be a much better compliment to the Elise.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yes the X is more fun, can't vouch for the m3, but I drove the m6 and it's no where near as fun. A lightly modded MR would make a perfect DD. You won't have the status symbol of the other two but that's up to you. I say X and that's coming from a family of all german cars, I mean all....
A lot of truth right there. An MR is a great daily for me and still can catch looks abd haul if I want to. Its the best car I have ever owned.

As others have said test drive one abd you will expwrience it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
M3 or C63 will have more luxury as a daily driver if that's what you are looking for, plus as a bonus they will get better highway mileage. They are also much faster in real world driving. That said I do think the Evo can have a higher fun factor. While the Evo doesn't have the same amount of luxury, coming from an Elise it will probably still feel like a Bentley ;)

In terms of racking up mileage costs to maintain the BMW or Benz is something to think about. How long do you think you'll own it/how many miles are we talking about?

Test drive will be key. If you look around there are dealers who will let you test drive. Also try searching for used ones on craigslist.

Please don't test drive a base Lancer and try to make a judgement on the Evo though.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
honestly, i would never buy an evo or sti if i had an Elise. since you already have one of the best driver's cars in the world to play with, i think that something fast AND comfy makes way more sense. an M3 or C63AMG or even an S4 will be a much better compliment to the Elise.
I second that motion for the S4. I drool every chance I get over that car.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
good advise in here I'd go with a Benz, Beemer or Audi if I already had a Lotus for a weekend car. But take some cars out for a test drive. I drove some of the german options and chose the Evo because it was more fun to drive and had a more raw feeling to it but I had to pick one car for DD and weekend abuse. If I could have two I would definitely have a more luxury sedan for DD and something rwd for weekends

·
Registered
93 Posts
Like the rest said.. You'll need to test drive the car. you'll also need to decide if you want to mod the X.. if you want 400+ hp then the Gsr is your first choice. if you want a great daily driver with 330ft tq the MR will work.. if you want 400 from your mr.. you'll need to beef up the clutches in the SST =$$$

I've been driving my Evo x mr for 10 months or so now. it's Comfy, Seats are amazing.. great ride, Wayy too much fun with studded winters in any condition. Super fun on the track.. Honestly as much fun as your lotus in Auto x and i'd say More fun than the lotus on a road course. the benz and bmw are decent cars but ive noticed at track days they just arn't pulling out the "Grin factor" as the guys in the GTR's Evo's and STI's ..

Day to day i quite enjoy my MR, I still however miss my Volvo V70R.. i miss the smell of the leather and the amazing seats! the most. i don't miss the every 5 week dealership visit at about 400$ though. they build them to break i sware it.. My evo hasn't been back to the dealer once since purchase. everything works great. oil changes are uber easy DIY, everything in the engine bay is easy to get at accept for the Down pipe bolts. LOL

The Evo is for "car guys"

benz and bmw = look at me.. i drive a nice car and i spend 4000 a year on service..

Evo = guys say look at me, i drive a nice car i spend 2000 a year on mods and 1500 a year on maintenace that i'm able to do my self.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree with the person that thinks c63/m3 is in different class in comparison to an evo.
Evo is a fun car. It handles great, but it is far less luxurious than german engineered cars.
Since you are really looking for a DD, I personally vouch for a c63 if you can get a really good deal. The amount of power on that thing is obscene. I rode in it a couple times and the experience was unbelievable. You already got the elise, the best handling car out there. Why not add a car that is capable to do 12s in a quarter mile?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
:yeahthat::+1:

·
Registered
204 Posts
S4 are pigs though and any type of maintenance or modding is going to rape you. If that's not your worry then do a M3 or even a CTS-V. I've driven a S4 (B5 and B7) and a CTS-V and honestly, the cts-v would run rounds around the s4. I think an M3 would be that much more fun. You'd need to go RS4 to get m3 and c63 performance.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
S4 are pigs though and any type of maintenance or modding is going to rape you. If that's not your worry then do a M3 or even a CTS-V. I've driven a S4 (B5 and B7) and a CTS-V and honestly, the cts-v would run rounds around the s4. I think an M3 would be that much more fun. You'd need to go RS4 to get m3 and c63 performance.
Yeah, but if you want an AWD car worthy of mention, the S4 is pretty much the only choice. BMW has a silly AWD system and even though Benz has a full time AWD system, it is not available in the higher powered cars. Not to mention, you can get the S4 with the sport rear diff to counter understeer and all tests so far have been favorable to it.

You do have a point with tuning though. If AWD is not a feature you need, and you know you like to do power mods, the BMW turbo models are definitely the top contenders.

The benz ONLY wins if you dont need AWD and you are not going to mod much AND if you fancy a crazy RWD setup.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, but if you want an AWD car worthy of mention, the S4 is pretty much the only choice. BMW has a silly AWD system and even though Benz has a full time AWD system, it is not available in the higher powered cars. Not to mention, you can get the S4 with the sport rear diff to counter understeer and all tests so far have been favorable to it.

You do have a point with tuning though. If AWD is not a feature you need, and you know you like to do power mods, the BMW turbo models are definitely the top contenders.

The benz ONLY wins if you dont need AWD and you are not going to mod much AND if you fancy a crazy RWD setup.
S4 is still not a M3 or C63AMG contender though, S4 is more 335 territory. He'd need to go RS4 or S6 to get that performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the valuable advice. Getting a test drive is very tough @ dealership. The Evo X seems to have really good resale value. 2008 GSR still goes for over $25000 (new can be bought for $35000). The C63/M3 depreciates at a much faster rate. 2008 C63/M3 new @ $80,000 are now sold at half the price.

Wife drives a 2010 740LI and use it as a dedicated family car to haul two kids and to take on long trips. Leaning toward the Evo X at the moment due to reliability and cheaper maintenance cost over the next 5 years (10,000 miles / year). The computer laden C63/M3 is a maintenance night mare past the warranty period.

The mitsubishi is also good to take to work because the car is anonymous under the radar. Colleagues and patients won't take a second look at it.
Wife thinks the C63/M3 suits me better because of crash worthiness and safety issues.

May end up buying a new Evo X GSR (used ones aren't much cheaper) or a C63 AMG soon :) Figure I can't pick a bad car out of these two.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm not sure about the under the radar comment. I've got a wingless car, and I still get people giving me thumbs up all the time, and now and then attempting to race me. The GSR is worse as it has the high wing. Being relatively rare compared to BMW and Benz on the road/in parking lots - it does tend to stand out in it's own way. C63 or M3s can blend in fairly well. Also the Evo has a much more youthful/immature vibe to it, if that matters with your colleagues/patients at all.

With only 10k miles a year you might consider a lease as well. Usually BMW has good lease deals which can save you a good chunk of depreciation. With the ultimate service program you will also be fully covered on all maintenance items.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Also you don't need to beef up the clutches for above 330wtq, Im running 350wtq, Pounder has 375wtq. Also 370whp, so don't listen to that guy, plus dodson's new clutch packs has a 450 and 500wtq option.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.