Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying some AEM gauges soon (boost and wideband), but am torn between the digital and analog gauges. I like the look of the analog gauges, and how they match the OEM gauges, but feel that the digital gauges will be easier to read at a glance. Are the numbers/lighting annoying at nighttime with the digital gauges? I have this idea in my head that the digital gauges would be nicer in daytime, but more annoying at nighttime with the digital number reading constantly changing and the outside LED moving, as opposed to the analog gauges which move constantly also, but seem to be less distracting at nighttime. Any info/experience/comments/pics appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
i have the aem digital ones i think they mesh very nice pretty accurate too. I like it better over the analog cause if i wanna check something during a pull its a lil more clear cut over a needle.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Being from the same company and using the same sensors I would have to guess they are both accurate. So it comes down to personal preference.

To me its the same as shopping for a watch. Analog is a lot more elegant and classy. Digital watches are for the eldery with big easy to read font.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
^^^^ HAHAHA

I have the analogue. Thought it matched the rest of the gauge cluster better. It's god-awful easy to read at a glance. Are you reading exactly 11.2, no, but can you see that you are in the low 11's? yes. how accurate could you read anyway? if you do a pull in 3rd gear you blow through the rpms in seconds. The analogue gauge allows you to visually watch the motion of the needle.

I'm not going to say it's better then the digital. but I disagree with any comment that it's harder to read. Being able to see it move allows you to visually see that a/f ratio curve and compare it against what your tune is supposed to do.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have 3 aem digital gauges mounted on my pillar pod. They coincided with the info in the computer when the car was tuned.

When I first had them installed the numbers were tough to get used to at night, and they still drive my wife nuts, but I got used to it rather quickly and rarely notice them.

Either route you go I think you'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
^^^^ HAHAHA

I have the analogue. Thought it matched the rest of the gauge cluster better. It's god-awful easy to read at a glance. Are you reading exactly 11.2, no, but can you see that you are in the low 11's? yes. how accurate could you read anyway? if you do a pull in 3rd gear you blow through the rpms in seconds. The analogue gauge allows you to visually watch the motion of the needle.

I'm not going to say it's better then the digital. but I disagree with any comment that it's harder to read. Being able to see it move allows you to visually see that a/f ratio curve and compare it against what your tune is supposed to do.
This is the exact reason I went with analog gauges. Instead of just numbers flashing at you, you can watch how the needle sweeps through the different air/fuel ratios. Like ddawg said above, when you make a pull, you blow through the rpms so fast that it's much easier to read the analog sweeping needle since the AFRs are changing so rapidly. Plus, what's displayed on the gauge and the readings produced when datalogging through EvoScan is dead accurate.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info/comments/opinions so far. I think I will end up going with the analog gauges. Knowing that they are not that difficult to read at a glance, match the OEM gauges better, you can watch the needle sweeping as opposed to numbers changing (yes, I do know that there is an LED 'needle' on the outside of the digital gauge), and not a hassle at night, I think these are the right ones for me. Now, still waiting for the DSG a-pillar to be released :shades:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Go with analog. They look better than digital (and are easier to read with peripheral vision when driving). I personally went with Defi White Racer gauges.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the defi gauges also, but as Evo_Zero said, I don't think they have a wideband, and I want matching gauges.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.