Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2008 evo x three weeks ago and it has an aem intake installed. I heard not so great things about it so I'm trying to install a stock intake until I can get it tuned. After uninstalling the aem intake I ran into a problem with where the hoses go from the solenoid. In the image attached is what my solenoid looks like. The two white circles are the two connections from the AEM rubber inlet hose to the solenoid at the purple circle and the yellow circle. The red circle is the hose from the solenoid to one side of a "Y" splitter then to the turbo. The third opening on the "Y" splitter is just open. The green circle is not connected to anything, its just a hose dangling.

On the stock rubber inlet hose it looks like the red circle and the yellow circle are suppose to be connected to the "Y" splitter and then to the turbo. Then it looks like there is another "Y" splitter connecting the purple circle and the green circle to the one connection in the stock rubber inlet hose.

Can anyone verify this or explain if I'm missing something. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
Its suppose to be pretty self-explanatory to re-install your stock air filter box. The only variation is that there is a 2-hole area under the AEM rubber inlet hose which the stock rubber inlet hose does not have (has only 1-hole). There is a stock single hose which connects to this 1-hole and splits off into 2 different ends which connect to the solenoid. If you had some better pictures, i could try explaining in more detail specifically for your car but i figured maybe just this general idea might help too.

·
Registered
242 Posts
this thread makes me :evillaugh:... well neways.. i hope your not taking off the AEM because you think it needs to be tuned for it. the Y hose... the 1 end goes to the rubber inlet... the 2 other ends goes to the solenoid.. if you actually have a stock hose it is color marked to where it goes to the solenoid. The AEM hoses has 2 separate hoses.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, so the piece I'm missing is the single hose that comes out of the stock inlet and branches into 2 that connect into the solenoid. But right now one of the 2 hoses from the far side of the solenoid is going into the inlet, and the other is going to the wastegate actuator. One of the hoses from the closer side of the solenoid are going to the inlet hose and the other one is just chillin there not connected to anything.

It seems to me that the 2 hoses on the far side of the solenoid should be connected to the wastegate actuator, and the 2 hoses on the close side of the solenoid should be connected to the inlet hose. Is that how the stock set up is?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes, looks like my hoses from the solenoid are not going where they are suppose to be, whoever installed my intake messed up. Anyone know what kind of damage this may cause?

What I said before seems inaccurate after viewing a variety of intake install videos it looks like the hoses from the close side of the solenoid go to the actuator and the hoses from the close side go to the inlet. It's weird cause the car still runs seemingly fine, rugged ass Japanese car. Thanks for the help guys, I'm a newb to the evo and all my friends drive subarus.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Gotcha, so the piece I'm missing is the single hose that comes out of the stock inlet and branches into 2 that connect into the solenoid. But right now one of the 2 hoses from the far side of the solenoid is going into the inlet, and the other is going to the wastegate actuator. One of the hoses from the closer side of the solenoid are going to the inlet hose and the other one is just chillin there not connected to anything.

It seems to me that the 2 hoses on the far side of the solenoid should be connected to the wastegate actuator, and the 2 hoses on the close side of the solenoid should be connected to the inlet hose. Is that how the stock set up is?
Yikes, looks like my hoses from the solenoid are not going where they are suppose to be, whoever installed my intake messed up. Anyone know what kind of damage this may cause?

What I said before seems inaccurate after viewing a variety of intake install videos it looks like the hoses from the close side of the solenoid go to the actuator and the hoses from the close side go to the inlet. It's weird cause the car still runs seemingly fine, rugged ass Japanese car. Thanks for the help guys, I'm a newb to the evo and all my friends drive subarus.
Yea based on what your describing, im having a difficult time imagining what your saying ... i think you may be right, whoever previously installed the intake may have taken some short cuts instead of actually following the instruction manual and doing it correct :( sorry bro

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for trying. I'm learning more day by day. There's 2 solenoids, a black one and a brown one. Do both the hoses from the brown one go to the inlet hose? Or is it the 2 from the black one that go to the inlet?

Nevermind, after looking at the vacuum diagram under the hood(fail), I realized one hose from each solenoid goes to the inlet hose, as well as one hose from each solenoid goes to the turbo/wastegate.:imstupid:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.