Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Voltex, it looks better. Aero looks good too, just not as good. Aero will give you serious track cred tho. I don't know if its better from a functional standpoint, others may know.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Looking to buy a wing but wondering which you guys prefer and why...

Aeromotions or Voltex

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
I don't know much about the either one in terms of "performance", but I do know if you will drive with it on the street at all the Voltex is easier on the eyes in my opinion. Plus the cyber evo has been using a voltex wing for the longest time so it can't be an absolutely terrible wing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Voltex I would get is the type V 1700mm or the 1500 with v mounts...

The voltex is about $2300 where as the aeromotions is $3600

Just trying to figure if ones better than the other OR

They are equally good but just which do you prefer for looks...

I don't care about if some events don't allow 3D or active wings... Just which functions better

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
Aero is 1700......

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Just so everyone knows Aeromotion's wings were developed in a $42M, 180mph wind tunnel, http://aeromotions.com/project-cars/. It's the best tunnel in the world. Voltex, on the other hand, just blew air over the car at 55mph. No rolling road. No high-speed testing (which is where aero matters / the differences are big enough to measure).

The static wing is $1699.99
The Dynamic is $3799.99
You can also get 17"uprights for the them as well for an additional $289.99

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
If i didn't stumble upon my Varis wing for stupid cheap then i was saving for an Aero R2.
depends what you want it for....
track, i would rock an Aero any day
I'm sure the Voltex type V is great, but i think the Aero looks tougher and has more development behind it. plus you can get a static and then upgrade to a dynamic wing if the track bug bites hard.

street cred - depends on your crew i guess. but I'd say most hard parkers would grow their penises larger over a Voltex :)

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
Voltex and Cyber Evo utilized the Mie University wind tunnel to test their aero... Type 5 wing included...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Just so everyone knows Aeromotion's wings were developed in a $42M, 180mph wind tunnel, http://aeromotions.com/project-cars/. It's the best tunnel in the world. Voltex, on the other hand, just blew air over the car at 55mph. No rolling road. No high-speed testing (which is where aero matters / the differences are big enough to measure).

The static wing is $1699.99
The Dynamic is $3799.99
You can also get 17"uprights for the them as well for an additional $289.99
I'm not throwing off on the aeromotions part, hell I'd love to have it! But, did it really take a $42M, 180mph wind tunnel to make a completely flat piece of carbon with 2 generic looking end plates? The "motion" feature is awsome, but unless I'm missing something, the design of the wing doesn't look very groundbreaking.

Edit: I looked at close ups and can now see that it's not completely flat, but it still looks very basic to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Voltex and Cyber Evo utilized the Mie University wind tunnel to test their aero... Type 5 wing included...

The Voltex wind tunnel is like a lot of university wind tunnels. Good for models, and small things.
http://blog.evasivemotorsports.com/?p=257

Wind Shear is the most advanced wind tunnel in the world. Testing time is $4k/hr. It's where Nissan went to test their Delta wing, where F1 teams go, and where Aeromotions went. It's BAD FUCKING ASS.
http://www.windshearinc.com/

I'm not sure if you guys are aware but the guys behind Aeromotions have Degrees in aerodynamics from M.I.T.
Function over form guys. It may look basic but it plays the part. If you're all about aesthetics than the Voltex looks great. If your looking for the absolutely best and highly developed wing package than aeromotions is it. plain and simple

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I would like you guys to know they specifically answered the "why" question.

from Aeromotions; We were recently directed to a forum post, with a very good question:

I’m not throwing off on the aeromotions part, hell I’d love to have it! But, did it really take a $42M, 180mph wind tunnel to make a completely flat piece of carbon with 2 generic looking end plates? The “motion” feature is awsome, but unless I’m missing something, the design of the wing doesn’t look very groundbreaking.

Edit: I looked at close ups and can now see that it’s not completely flat, but it still looks very basic to me.

Aero is a subtle art.
This is why the top F1 teams are able to do a few tricks and walk away from the competition (who are also very clever, driven, competitors). In our case, the top of the wing has a very gentle curve. But the magic happens on the bottom. Our wing runs the only “concave pressure recovery” system in racing. It looks like the big dipper, and is a very counterintuitive shape. But she works marvelously. Technically, it’s optimal. A recent development in aero was the ability to use an “optimal” pressure distribution, and then have the computer reverse-solve the actual shape. So, technically, the computer figured this one out.

Why is an Accurate Wind Tunnel So Important?
Mid-level performance airfoils are very robust to manufacturing defects. Think of an American V8 compared to an F1 engine. Small imbalances in piston weight don’t matter at 6,000 RPM, but they will blow your engine at 18,000 RPM. Aero is the same way. High performance airfoils are sensitive to small manufacturing defects, which is why most companies don’t use them. We went a different way. We used a high-performance foil, and then created a manufacturing process + tooling to produce extremely accurate, high-fidelity wings.

What did you Test in The Tunnel?
No two wings are exactly the same – there is a little variation in each shape. For example, when you glue the top and bottom halves together, there can be a 0.010″ variation in thickness of the trailing edge. In high-performance aero terms, this is HUGE. How much is acceptable? Well, we know exaclty. We found out in the tunnel. Same the thing with the surface finish. We obsess over its smoothness. How much roughtnes is acceptable on that airfoil, we found out. The list goes on. The bottom line is that Aero is very complex. There are a huge number of factors that need to come together to get it right. This is why F1 is dominated by aero, and why they built $42M wind tunnels to develop exotic aero packages. I promise you, the 2D airfoil on the back of the Ferrari F1 car is one of the most advanced shapes, and best understood wings, ever made. It looks deceptively simple. But it’s not."

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I'm not throwing off on the aeromotions part, hell I'd love to have it! But, did it really take a $42M, 180mph wind tunnel to make a completely flat piece of carbon with 2 generic looking end plates? The "motion" feature is awsome, but unless I'm missing something, the design of the wing doesn't look very groundbreaking.

Edit: I looked at close ups and can now see that it's not completely flat, but it still looks very basic to me.
And this tells us you are obviously not an engineer :) If the guys at my work heard you talk like this they would have a few things to say.

You should see what we spend on developing flight hardware.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts