·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the culprit was the timing chain being stretched, not jumping a tooth?
I don't know yet, doing research under the assumption that a stretched chain might've caused timing to jump. Why else would it jump if not a stretched chain? I don't have a shiny crank pulley to throw an aluminum tab into my chain :innocent:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I dont think there are any after market timing chains available for the X yet.

form the video you posted, I hear crank but no spark.

Have you unscrewed a coil pack and plug, leave the plug in the coil pack ly it on the cam cover and then fire up the ignition to see if there is a spark? because if theres a spark then you know its not ECM etc......

If theres no spark.. then your first ECM diagnosis is probably correct.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you unscrewed a coil pack and plug, leave the plug in the coil pack ly it on the cam cover and then fire up the ignition to see if there is a spark? because if theres a spark then you know its not ECM etc......

If theres no spark.. then your first ECM diagnosis is probably correct.
I did this and no spark, *but* if the sensor data coming to the ECM is funky due to the timing being off, this may explain the lack of spark and the code I'm getting.

Also, I figured there's no aftermarket chain, just wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
He's covered 73k miles already. I dont know many X's that have covered that much mileage, also the chain has been known to stretch. Especially when the motor has been turned off and comes to a sudden stop.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I did this and no spark, *but* if the sensor data coming to the ECM is funky due to the timing being off, this may explain the lack of spark and the code I'm getting.

Also, I figured there's no aftermarket chain, just wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything.
No spark? i'll ask back on MLR, one guy (very respectable) suggested that it does sound like the timing chain problem, but low voltage has also been known to trigger that code on an X.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
whats been said from my post on MLR.. "Ive heard of low voltage throwing that code, but other than that unless the chain has jumped some how or its stretched. There's marks on the cam gears that line up with the casting to see if the chain has stretched. If the cam is out of sync it wont fire and throw that code".

so its sounds like if it has jumped then it wont fire as you just said.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
low voltage eh? well, I put a new battery in it, but maybe the starter circuit has an issue and it sucking too much current and/or cranking too slowly. I took some time last night to compare the cranking sound of my car to the cranking sound of another X and while it sounds different, it seems like it might just be going too slowly vs not having compression. I guess when I go see the car Saturday, I'll try to push start the thing in the parking lot right after I do the compression test. muahahaha.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Out of curiosity, how old is your battery / when was it last replaced?
I bought a new one when the car wouldn't start because it sounded like it was cranking too slowly, and the stock battery tested BAD at Autozone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.