Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filed under: Motorsports, Minivan/Van, Europe, Renault, Racing

A minivan is not what you'd expect to see winning a racing series. Nor would a budget brand like Dacia. That's where Alain Prost comes into the picture.

The three-time Formula One world champion isn't quite retired: he's still competing in the Andros Trophy, a French ice-racing series. After hoisting the trophy twice in a row with a snow-spec Toyota Auris rally machine, Prost switched over to Dacia, for which he has now claimed his third personal title and the first for Renault's Hungarian budget brand.

The title fight came down to the last race in Auvergne, France, where the natural snow and best efforts of race organizers could not separate Prost (or his son Nicolas) from the bare tarmac. The vehicle with which he did it was a new racer (loosely) based on the new Lodgy, an MPV that doesn't make its production debut until theupcoming Geneva Motor Show.

Check out the high-res photos in the gallery for a closer look and follow the jump for the full press release.Continue reading Alain Prost wins ice-racing series in Dacia Lodgy Glace MPV

Alain Prost wins ice-racing series in Dacia Lodgy Glace MPV originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 05 Feb 2012 08:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
It really is. I'm usually a stickler on Netflix and give 1-3 stars, with an occasional 4. Senna is one of very few to get 5 stars from moi.

Throughout the entire documentary, although I knew he was dead, I felt like he was alive and there... not sure how else to explain it. It had an eerie auto-biography feel.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It really is. I'm usually a stickler on Netflix and give 1-3 stars, with an occasional 4. Senna is one of very few to get 5 stars from moi.

Throughout the entire documentary, although I knew he was dead, I felt like he was alive and there... not sure how else to explain it. It had an eerie auto-biography feel.
:+1: The Senna movie was one of the best movies I've ever seen

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
Prost is a great guy. I don't think people should judge him by the politicking in F1. He wouldn't have become involved in the Senna trust if he was such a bad guy. Rivalries bring out the best and worst in everybody, it is what it is.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
yea, that's the one thing i didn't like about the movie. They needed a villain to make the movie appealing. It would have been more accurate if they would have made Balestre the 'bad guy', because he was. Prost befitted from him trying to rig the series to put a frenchman on the podium. But since Balestre was voted out in 1991 and Senna died in 1994. They could have transitioned the bad-guy role to his replacement, Mosley, who nearly killed F1, but that's a whole mess outside the point of the movie. Theres only so much you can cover in 90 mins :)

bottom line is Prost isn't a bad guy. He's a competitor, and he unfortunately did benefit from the acts of bad guys, but not by choice. The dude won the f1 championship 4 times! gotta respect that. And now he's almost 60 yrs old and still winning ice racing championships? wow

·
Registered
807 Posts
yea, that's the one thing i didn't like about the movie. They needed a villain to make the movie appealing. It would have been more accurate if they would have made Balestre the 'bad guy', because he was. Prost befitted from him trying to rig the series to put a frenchman on the podium. But since Balestre was voted out in 1991 and Senna died in 1994. They could have transitioned the bad-guy role to his replacement, Mosley, who nearly killed F1, but that's a whole mess outside the point of the movie. Theres only so much you can cover in 90 mins :)

bottom line is Prost isn't a bad guy. He's a competitor, and he unfortunately did benefit from the acts of bad guys, but not by choice. The dude won the f1 championship 4 times! gotta respect that. And now he's almost 60 yrs old and still winning ice racing championships? wow
Really?? I interpreted Balestre as the "bad guy" in the movie, then again I watched it with commentary and interviews so Prost always cut in and explained exactly what was happening from his point of view, the interview/commentary with Prost in that movie was really really good

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Balestre was the bad guy in the movie but Prost was almost as guilty for letting the favors that were bestowed upon him by F1 and Balestre to go on without standing up for Senna. Prost had to have known that Senna could outdrive him with his eyes closed. I am sure that he has some guilt issues that he is harboring about the situation with Senna and decided to try to cleanse his soul by being a part of Senna's foundation.

On a side note - I was in my twenties wen this rivalry was going on and I was (and am) a huge fan of F1. I would have loved to see Senna in whatever ride he would have been in yrs 2000-2001 run against Schumacher in the Ferrari.

Hopefully the GP in NYC isn't more than wishful thinking.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
Really! So, as unpractical as it may seem, extrapolating the situation to an office environment, if your boss is more favorable to you than to your team member, are you going to stand up to him and say "Hey! you have to be nice to him too or else......"? I'm just curious to know.

Or, if Senna hadn't died, would so many of us still be so opinionated about the situation?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Really! So, as unpractical as it may seem, extrapolating the situation to an office environment, if your boss is more favorable to you than to your team member, are you going to stand up to him and say "Hey! you have to be nice to him too or else......"? I'm just curious to know.

Or, if Senna hadn't died, would so many of us still be so opinionated about the situation?
Ok, I see your point but if that said office situation gets aired out in public in front of all your peers (and the rest of the world) and you know for a fact that your boss has favored you what would you do? You could keep quiet and walk the hallways not paying attention to all the office cooler talk. Or you could step up and let your peers know that you really didn't deserve it but what's done is done. Never mind the possibility that he might have kissed the bosses arse to earn his favoritism which would make him what I think he is.

I do agree on your second point -

The sad part is that the drama was great for the sport at the time and that might have fueled Balestre even more.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
In NJ you mean? It isn't, work has already begun on the paddock area. With a signed contract, so long as the organizers complete the requirements it will go forward.
It's in NJ but the world will know it as the NY GP. There are a couple of videos showing the route but you never know. Money tends to dry up for these things.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
"I" simply do not know what I would do because its a hypothetical situation. I've never been in a situation like that. I can preach all I want, but I have my flaws......just like anybody else.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Look at Hamilton and Schumacher this past season. Lewis got the shit kick out of him by the stewards. Sometimes he was mostly to blame, but it's racing. Accidents happen, but they seemed to be especially hard on him. You could tell he was jadded by mid-season and started looking for trouble, but then got his bearing and actually had a pretty great finish. I don't see anyone standing up for him

Then Schumacher would do the same exact stuff and never even get a warning. I don't think many people think Lewis is a hero like Senna was, but if he wins next year and dies the following year, I bet a decade later people will forget the bad and remember the new

My favorite driver interview of the year

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.