Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the weirdest issue i have ever dealt with... So i was in the process of tuning my car via E-tune. I was going back and fourth with my tuner for a dual map tune still on 93 though as we haven't gotten to the e85 yet. We got through all the idle and cruise logs and were now in the process of turning the boost up on wide open throttle pulls. This is the 7th revision of the WOT pulls. I have been Sending a log each day with the new tune revisions. Car is running on 93 pump gas and has been working great until this. When all of a sudden i parked the car one night after I got home from work ( literally did a wide open throttle log on the way home and sent it when i got inside) and then went to bed. The next day i hop in to go to work... So I warm the car letting it idle 5 min before even moving and then pull out to stop-go/cruise driving for 15 min. (easily up to full operating temp even 5 min into this. I then get to the highway and this is usually the first time each morning when I get on it enough to get the wastegate to open... except this time as soon as i got to 4-5k and boost to about 10psi or so during acceleration.... TOTAL loss of power and insane stuttering.

Obviously, i tried it a few more times wondering what the heck was going on and same thing.... CEL would quickly flash a few times during the insane power cut/stutter. So I then get to work, work the day and go to drive home. Same problem so i pull over and for the hell of it I reflash the car to the same tune again.

First pull, wastegate opens up and ALMOST a perfect pull. I then tried it again hoping it "fixed itself", but the problem was fully back and i let off. Then, I decided to reflash the revision 6 tune for the hell of it that was perfectly fine for 2 full days. I flashed it and AGAIN... the first pull I did was perfect!!! Then, every single time after that the problem was back again! Keep in mind that the car is already warmed up. The other weird thing is that the car drives and idles PERFECT. If you don't get on it hard enough to go over 10psi of boost and open the wastegate you would never notice an issue... I can rev the car in neutral the whole way to rev limiter with no issue.

I have a datalog of the issue for you guys to check out, but it wont let me attach it! Keeps a saying the attachment does not have an allowed extension! So please help me with that too lol...

MODS ON THE CAR:

Turbo Parts Canada Gt Spec Turbo (comes with a 22psi wastegate, but I've been told they are weak by my tuner)
  • Walbro 450 fuel pump
  • ID1300 (1340CC) injectors
  • AEM wideband afr gauge
  • ethanol content gauge
  • boost gauge
  • 3.5 MAP short ram intake
  • MAP cast manifold
  • Fuel lab Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
  • Manzo turbo back dual exhaust (only two small resonators right before tips, no cats on car)
  • Grimmspeed electronic boost
  • MAPerformance open dump downpipe
  • Russell Inline 40 micron Fuel filter
  • 4” Sheepey Intercooler
  • ETS Intercoooler Piping
  • AGP oil catch pan
  • Driven fab flex fuel kit

MY GUESS'S OF THE PROBLEM'

I have done alot of reading and i have come to the conclusion that i think the issue is either in the wastegate, wastegate actuator, boost leak (10psi and over only), or an ignition issue.

I put brand new plugs in and gapped them just a month ago.
I put brand new coil packs on a month ago.
I have visually inspected under the hood for vacuum lines being popped off way too many times.
I am planning on doing a boost leak test as soon as my new tester comes in. I made one but it kept popping off in my face. i could only get it to 25psi before it'd blow apart so i ordered a real one. This was done before this issue arised though just for the hell of it.

I'm going to switch out the plugs and coils back to the ones I took off to cross that out.
I'm thinking it could also be that the wastegate not opening or closing the entire way? or i read on these forums that sometimes the plugs will work fine until higher boost is introduced and then they can mess up? I don't know how true that is. they are brg8 oem iridium plugs from MAP. From looking at the logs i cant see like a crazy obvious issue. I'm not an expert on these cars yet as i just got it 2 months ago and the last owner literally let it go to shit... the guy before him built it and from IG posts of it i can tell he took great care of it and i have talked to him a bunch. this last kid was clueless college kid that sold it to me with soooo many things wrong with it that i had to fix. He couldn't even tell me when he changed the oil last... and he had the dealership do it... "oh its been a while" he said...

I've never owned an Evo before this one, but i am very familiar with tuner cars. i had a scion frs and wrx sti that i modified alot as well among the other vehicles ive had which is the same story for all them too. (powerstroke, ram hemi, Kawasaki z900, k5 blazer, ect...)

If anyone has ever had anything even remotely like this happen or has read anywhere like this i would appreciate any advice or info! thanks so much guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I do not believe so because the numbers my tuner has in there for "minimum rpm required for NLTS" is set higher than my rev limiter. And the "minimum speed required for NLTS" is set to 10km/h but that seems okay. I can't even rev to 9500rpm though, so I'd say no.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I do not believe so because the numbers my tuner has in there for "minimum rpm required for NLTS" is set higher than my rev limiter. And the "minimum speed required for NLTS" is set to 10km/h but that seems okay. I can't even rev to 9500rpm though, so I'd say no.
Ok, since this pops up around the same boost level, I would start taking a closer look at the boost system. This is happening almost right on the wastegate spring pressure. The EBC could be failing/something stuck or clogging the ebc tubing. Make sure nothing popped off up there I guess.?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem was that the FPR hose had popped off. I just secured it with a zip tie and its been good since. I have no idea why it would let me boost normally on the first pull after a restart, but that's what happened.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts