Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I feel like its time to upgrade my d40. Its just old, out dated, and lacking. I have my decision narrowed down to these two cameras:

Nikon D5100

Canon Rebel T3i

Each camera has their own pros and cons, but I just can't decide. I've watched countless numbers of comparison videos on YouTube, and still can't make up my mind. I'm pulling for the D5100, simply because is had a more affordable lens selection, and it has full time auto focus while shooting videos. It also has some pretty cool effects. But at the same time, I think the CMOS sensor on the Canon just takes a better quality picture. Its also 2mp better.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Whats your budget?

·
Registered
367 Posts
T3i....Newegg has had some good deals lately.

T3i w/ 18-55mm IS II Lens for $711.99

or T3i(Body Only) for $669.95

Both w/ free shipping.
They have great customer service! I bought my wife a 50D and 70-300mm tele lens a few years ago and couldn't be happier.

Tamron makes great lenses and sell them at great prices!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have always been a Canon fan, they just take great pics, i just bought my wife a 5D for christmas. Shes a photographer, mostly portraits but she is awesome at editing pics. Canon lenses are pretty expensive though...... Either way i think you are going to be happy with it. You probably wouldnt even notice the 2 mp difference. I would go with whatever one is cheaper so you can spend your money on accesories

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A good friend of mine has the d7000, and I love it. But its far too expensive. I also don't like that it shoots in 24fps in 1080p while the d5100 can shoot in a full 30fps. I'm also getting it for video, because my camcorder is older than Mother Teresa. However, the autofocus sensor is built into the d7000 body which makes the lens options greater and are also a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I'm a Nikon guy, but just can't stand the whole focus-motorless entry level models they have been offering. The D7000 is a phenomenal camera and over a year after it's release can still be tricky to find in stock at some places, but most likely out of your price range. I'd go with the T3i if I were you.
I know SLRs pretty well and have been shooting with them for about 16-17 years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Personally, I would chose Nikon. I have a D3100, with a small collection of lenses. I have the kit lens (18-55 3.5-5.6 with VR). The kit lens is simply amazing, good for all around general photography. The Aperture is a decent size, not amazing for night shots though. The second lens I have is a telephoto zoom lens (55-200 4-5.6 with VR). This is good for shots at the track with about 10 m of distance away to get a decent shot, I don't have enough money for a 70-300. Finally I have a fully manual lens (50mm 1.8). I have two purposes for this lens, it gives a really nice effect to brake shots, focusing on the calliper with the wheel out of focus. The other purpose is for night shots. The aperture on this lens is huge (1.8!) making night shots almost as clear as day. All I need is a wide angle lens. other then that, this is a really good set up for photography. And I got it all for under 1100$ (buying lenses off of friends and what not) with out all of the other lenses, it was about 800 for the d3100 with the kit lens

1 - 13 of 13 Posts