Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in over a month ago because it was popping out of 2nd gear on downshifts. First of all they have been really nice including corporate. They decided to do a rebuild on the tranny and cannot get it right. The last thing they told me now was that when the car is in neutral it is somehow still engaged in a gear. They keep giving me the "It will be done tomorrow" thing and that started a few days after I took it in. Should I demand a new transmission? I am kind of worried now that it has been torn apart so many times just trying to get it right. The good thing is that they are paying for my rental. Seems as though they could have saved time and money by just putting a new one in the car. Getting sick of driving the Old model Hyundai wrecked a million times Elantra.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I'm surprised Mitsu is rebuilding it. They don't really know how to work on cars. I'm shocked a unit replacement wasn't the first thing they tried. Lol.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
Ask if the shifter cables are still attached.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ask if the shifter cables are still attached.
I drove to the dealer to check on my car last week and they had 4 techs under it trying to figure it out. I live an hour away since all the dealers around here shut down. Ill ask them when I call tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
If the unit has already been out for the issue, the cables have already been removed and reinstalled. The cables cannot make the gear disengage, period. The problem is internal to the trans.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
Yeah tell them you want a replacement

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Dealership techs are just average joe workers. Just because they're at a Mitsu dealership doesn't make them experts.

my ralliart trade-in had the LICP pop off the coupler on a customer test drive - took 5 minutes to diagnose while service couldn't figure out what's wrong with it (hell it still has a boost gauge on it, so f-ing easy to troubleshoot). Only ONE guy in service (who is off for the holidays conveniently) knew what to do when I said "connect Lower Intercooler Pipe"...................................................

they're literally calling me to take time off my primary job to come fix it. sorry, not my car anymore, I diagnosed the problem for you, and I'm obviously not getting paid for it

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
How difficult can a manual 5-speed gearbox be?

Just imagine if Getrag and Mitsu reached a service agreement and started supplying parts for the TC-SST box. I can already think of sooo many ways a medium-skilled tech - with NO experience in the TC-SST internals - can screw things up.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
Getrag's name would be in the shitter.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
How difficult can a manual 5-speed gearbox be?

Just imagine if Getrag and Mitsu reached a service agreement and started supplying parts for the TC-SST box. I can already think of sooo many ways a medium-skilled tech - with NO experience in the TC-SST internals - can screw things up.
This is why Getrag doesn't authorize them to do any any service on the SST :bowlol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts