Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my cracked welded DP with the AMS piece. I know that AMS DP uses OEM brackets and shield and for that it has some holes in the section between the flex pipe and the turbo flange. Since I'm replacing the aftermarket DP I don't already have the stock pieces, so I'm going to get them as spare parts.
I figured I need two brackets and the heat shield with the following part numbers:
1555A320 - bracket
1555A370 - protector bracket
1555A424 - protector (heat shield)
What I'd like to know is which bracket shoudl be used for the hole that is close to the flex pipe. Is it the 1555A320 one, or there is another bracket which I have not listed?
Here's the picture with the bracket attached:

· Registered
364 Posts
As far as I know the only stock stuff that bolts to the AMS piece is the exh. mani. heatshield. The other threaded bungs on the AMS piece were for a heatshield that they were planning to make, but they scrapped that idea.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that helps!

· Registered
4,060 Posts
That threaded bolt on the stock downpipe in the picture came with my AMS Downpipe. Anyone recommend replacing the stock bolts? Anyone know the part number? tHx

· Registered
4,060 Posts
I have one more bolt on stock downpipe before I install my AMS one. Anyone heat wrap the AMS downpipe?

· Registered
3,198 Posts
I had mine high heat ceramic coated. Its a silver coat thats good for 1600 degrees.

So the 2 threaded holes on the back are for a heatshield that was never made. Whats the story with the hole at the mouth that doesnt get a bolt?

Here are some pictures of my downpipe after a few months or so. Still looking brand new.

· Registered
5,623 Posts
Yea theres a black bracket that bolts to the block and dp. I havent installed mine, i tried but i bought the dp used and i think the threads are screwed up. Nor did i install that heatshield in the picture. No signs of damage either.

· Registered
14,255 Posts
Because heat shields are totally there for show.

· Registered
14,255 Posts
You're right, the grease inside that rubber boot isn't flammable, what was I thinking.

Also, you're right man I'm a complete dumbass-- radiant heat from a glowing hot piece of metal at 1300 degrees WON'T heatsoak the shit out of the surrounding hardware.

· [E-Tuner]
16,079 Posts
You're right, the grease inside that rubber boot isn't flammable, what was I thinking.

Also, you're right man I'm a complete dumbass-- radiant heat from a glowing hot piece of metal at 1300 degrees WON'T heatsoak the shit out of the surrounding hardware.
Nuh uh :bowlol::bowlol::bowlol:

· Registered
14,255 Posts
Sorry lol, the shit annoys me to no end. It's like the people who go...

"YO DOG TAKE OUT YOUR FRONT AIR GUIDES FOR MOAR AIR TO THE INTERCOOLER FOR MOAR POWER YO."***

***: Caution, removal of air dams STOPS AIRFLOW TO YOUR OIL COOLER AND TRANS COOLER.

· Registered
4,060 Posts
There's a small L shaped bracket that bolts to the block and the stock O2 housing (or that spot on the AMS piece)
Yup. A small bracket mounts there. In my opinion, it looks like it's there as a backup in case the downpipe got loose for some crazy reason, and it's there to keep it in place. Not sure.

· Registered
6 Posts
Yup. A small bracket mounts there. In my opinion, it looks like it's there as a backup in case the downpipe got loose for some crazy reason, and it's there to keep it in place. Not sure.
it was a PITA to get it back after getting the DP installed. should i go back install that black bracket? I have this fear of the DP shifting and pulling my turbo etc. or am i just overexaggerating

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.