Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car is a 2008 gsr with 13,000 miles on the odo. i installed downpipe, HFC, cat back, aem intake and accesport, the oem clutch only lasted about 2000 more miles after i installed the parts. so i went with an exedy cerametalic clutch, oem flywheel but didnt have it turned, I installed it and everything was fine, for about 3000 miles, the it started slipping and grinding, so i took it out and it was burnt, like if you put a torch on the surface and it started turning blue in spots, so was the flywheel, so i took a friends advice and bought clutchmaster sateg 3 clutch and matching flywheel. again everythign was fine for the first 3000 miles, but recentlly it started to chatter when any kind of boost after 10 psi was present, really hard chatter, now i get hard chatter, low chatter, slip you name it.

Is it possible that with my mods the car can be chewing up clutches every 3000 miles, i mean i am hardlly modded, but i think there can be a bigger issue thats making the car eat up clutches.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
So my car is a 2008 gsr with 13,000 miles on the odo. i installed downpipe, HFC, cat back, aem intake and accesport, the oem clutch only lasted about 2000 more miles after i installed the parts. so i went with an exedy clutch, oem flywheel but didnt have it turned, I installed it and everything was fine, for about 3000 miles, the it started slipping and grinding, so i took it out and it was burnt, like if you put a torch on the surface and it started turning blue in spots, so was the flywheel, so i took a friends advice and bought clutchmaster sateg 3 clutch and matching flywheel. again everythign was fine for the first 3000 miles, but recentlly it started to chatter when any kind of boost after 10 psi was present, really hard chatter, now i get hard chatter, low chatter, slip you name it.

Is it possible that with my mods the car can be chewing up clutches every 3000 miles, i mean i am hardlly modded, but i think there can be a bigger issue thats making the car eat up clutches.
that exact thing happened to me after i had an exeddy fitted. i driven 1000miles max, And the thing also scorched my flywheel to death. Its probably been fitted badly.

im also on my 3rd clutch, fitted the last one when my car had just reached 19k miles.

yes the OEM clutch is crap. and in my opinion the exeddy cerametalic is even worse. Im running exeddy stage 2 which is so far holding up.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
So my car is a 2008 gsr with 13,000 miles on the odo. i installed downpipe, HFC, cat back, aem intake and accesport, the oem clutch only lasted about 2000 more miles after i installed the parts. so i went with an exedy cerametalic clutch, oem flywheel but didnt have it turned, I installed it and everything was fine, for about 3000 miles, the it started slipping and grinding, so i took it out and it was burnt, like if you put a torch on the surface and it started turning blue in spots, so was the flywheel, so i took a friends advice and bought clutchmaster sateg 3 clutch and matching flywheel. again everythign was fine for the first 3000 miles, but recentlly it started to chatter when any kind of boost after 10 psi was present, really hard chatter, now i get hard chatter, low chatter, slip you name it.

I've seen this twice now, the first replacement was your mistake for not turning the flywheel. ALWAYS have the fly wheel turned to match!
Now start checking out your CMC for leaks and signs of failure because if it is slowly dying out then it's bleeding off while your at lights and stop signs causing it to start rubbing a little and glazing like a newb who slips the clutch too much.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I've seen this twice now, the first replacement was your mistake for not turning the flywheel. ALWAYS have the fly wheel turned to match!
Now start checking out your CMC for leaks and signs of failure because if it is slowly dying out then it's bleeding off while your at lights and stop signs causing it to start rubbing a little and glazing like a newb who slips the clutch too much.
hollywood x, i had a mechanic fit my exeddy, after 500miles or so my CMC exploded. Also i was amazed at how hard it was to push the clutch pedal in.

When Mitsi fitted my new CMC the clutch pedal felt totally normal just like OEM?? after circa 500 miles i give it some, only to feel like something was braking the engine, and i could hear a grinding noise. The clutch was stinking!!

what do you think the mechanic did wrong? cos i want my money back.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
hollywood x, i had a mechanic fit my exeddy, after 500miles or so my CMC exploded. Also i was amazed at how hard it was to push the clutch pedal in.

When Mitsi fitted my new CMC the clutch pedal felt totally normal just like OEM?? after circa 500 miles i give it some, only to feel like something was braking the engine, and i could hear a grinding noise. The clutch was stinking!!

what do you think the mechanic did wrong? cos i want my money back.
Thats a sure fire sign of "Misalignment" on your pressure plate. If you look at the pressure plate you will see the TOB is wearing off center and causing the stiff pedal feel.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thats a sure fire sign of "Misalignment" on your pressure plate. If you look at the pressure plate you will see the TOB is wearing off center and causing the stiff pedal feel.
:thumbup: many thanks.

So this guy didnt know what he was doing.

Next time i need to change my clutch ill remember what you just said and give it a go myself. Clutch and fitting cost me nearly a grand!! GRRR!!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
do you mean getting the flywheel balanced?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive always owned a manual. my next guess was the CMC. and since the problem is intermittent i guess its very possible this is the issue. but i didnt know that the CMC could cause the clutch to not engage completelly

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
ive always owned a manual. my next guess was the CMC. and since the problem is intermittent i guess its very possible this is the issue. but i didnt know that the CMC could cause the clutch to not engage completelly
I didnt know this either?? is that true? that the CMC could cause the clutch to not engage fully?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts