Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the longest time this rattle has made me feel ashamed to drive the evo when there are passengers/guesses in my car. The rattle sounds as if it comes from inside the glove box. It sometimes sound like plastic hitting plastic while other times squeaks as if the passenger's suspension side is rusted as hell and about to break off any time.

The culprit is between the dash and the passenger's pillar. To get to it, all you need is to take off the passenger's A-pillar. You'll have to look between and below the dash and pillar to see it. With the pillar at an angle it'll be hard to try sticking your head in between to see it. What’s causing the noise is a short metal rod from the car's chassis rubbing against a metal plate that is part of the dash(See pictures, I suck at describing). Road vibration will cause both to rub.

To fix it, I use J-B weld bought at Wal-Mart for about $5. Comes with two little paste bottles that you'll have to mix( Follow instructions on product). I applied it onto both sides where the metal rod and plate make contact.

Dunno how to put pix on text field :duh:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Sweet will do this to mine tomorrow!

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
that's crazy! Rattlebox Mitsu

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Nice Going to do that this weekend.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Could this be what my rattle is? I have a rattle coming from the glove box that sounds like a squeaky wheel. That is the best way I could describe it....Do you think its the same?

·
Evos before hoes
2,599 Posts
LOL my car didnt rattle at all until this winter now it sounds like a 1980's gmc pickup.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For the longest time this rattle has made me feel ashamed to drive the evo when there are passengers/guesses in my car. The rattle sounds as if it comes from inside the glove box. It sometimes sound like plastic hitting plastic while other times squeaks as if the passenger's suspension side is rusted as hell and about to break off any time.

The culprit is between the dash and the passenger's pillar. To get to it, all you need is to take off the passenger's A-pillar. You'll have to look between and below the dash and pillar to see it. With the pillar at an angle it'll be hard to try sticking your head in between to see it. What’s causing the noise is a short metal rod from the car's chassis rubbing against a metal plate that is part of the dash(See pictures, I suck at describing). Road vibration will cause both to rub.

To fix it, I use J-B weld bought at Wal-Mart for about $5. Comes with two little paste bottles that you'll have to mix( Follow instructions on product). I applied it onto both sides where the metal rod and plate make contact.

Dunno how to put pix on text field :duh:
Nice that might be the source of my rattle!!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
PERFECT. Thank you!

·
[NEEvo President]
15,153 Posts
Could this be what my rattle is? I have a rattle coming from the glove box that sounds like a squeaky wheel. That is the best way I could describe it....Do you think its the same?
So far I've seen three types of rattle. The Pillar one here, the glove box hinge/lock, and in the shifter assembly.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/399325-5th-gear-vibration-shifter-rattling.html

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-how-tos-installations/510891-how-remove-glove-box-rattle.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a rattle coming from the glove box that sounds like a squeaky wheel. That is the best way I could describe it....Do you think its the same?

When I decided to track down this rattle/squeak, the person helping me thought it was coming from outside the car from the wheel. So it could be it.

This rattle/squeak was temperature related. I didn't get it as much during the summer versus winter. In the winter, if I had driven the car for 1+hours the rattle occurs less that day. What got me off at first is that big pot holes didn't trigger the rattle as much as an old and worn out road. I think it is the minuscule vibrations generated on worn out roads to the car's chassis is the main cause of this rattle.

I decided to use J-B weld but I am sure there are many other products out there to bond metal. This is the first time I use this product or anything like it. Only if it was welded from the factory, this squeak/rattle would never have happened.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have been hunting a rattle since 2 weeks coming from the same area. It might be temp related too. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
This thread is one part of the answer to the question "How to (un)Ruin A $40k Car", in that the answer is that the car comes so-to-say "ruined" from Mitsubishi by having worse NVR insulation than most cars half its price, so this is one part of how to address that and make it better. Well done!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts