Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Been away from my 2011 EVO X GSR for over 7yrs. Been stationed in Japan. Wanted to ask the experts in the forum on what I need to do.
First of all it took me forever to get this car started. I have this messages on my dash and trying figure out how to get rid of them. I know I definitely need a new transfer case. I drained it and metal shards came flushing out.
Would I need a return or relash to try to get rid of the CEL messages on my dash or is it more than that? Any advice would help. I can't decide if I should fix it or sell it as is. Clean title. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Is your 12v battery dead? If you jumped it but it's completely dead, the low voltage could make everything crazy. If it's a fresh battery, use a code reader to clear those codes and see what comes back.
How much metal are we talking on that T-Case? Chunks of gear or just sparkles? Was it magnetic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your 12v battery dead? If you jumped it but it's completely dead, the low voltage could make everything crazy. If it's a fresh battery, use a code reader to clear those codes and see what comes back.
How much metal are we talking on that T-Case? Chunks of gear or just sparkles? Was it magnetic?
Ive bought a new battery. Don't have a code reader. When I came back stateside and took it to Mitsubishi. They couldn't even clear out my codes or tell me what exactly was wrong. They gave me a price quote of a new T-case with labor for over $6K. They also said my ECU/ECM was tuned and I had a MR ETACS instead of a GSR one and thats why its giving the error codes.. Is there a difference between ETACS? Can you run with a MR ETACS and remap it? Just wandering. The T-case fluids are like metal chunks. Don't know why. The car hasn't been driven for over 6yrs.Login • Instagram

·
Registered
516 Posts
Why was the ETACS ECU swapped? Yes, they can be re-coded with a MUT tool at the dealer but it sounds like your dealership sucks and I know these days they seem to be increasingly hard to find. Buy a smartphone OBDII reader and see if you can clear the codes. If it's the ECU mismatch causing your problem, you'll need to find a way to get it re-coded. No affiliation or experience but: Check This Out

That is a lot of shavings on the drain plug! Does the T-case whine or make other terrible noises? If not, you can probably run it for a while or look into a rebuilt TRE or Shep unit. I've also seen them for ~$1,000-$1,200 used on Facebook

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your GSR is a manual correct? It’s giving you transmission messages for the SST. So something is definitely not right lol
You know? After reading and trying to figure out the codes to my car, I had thought it might have been it as well. I wasn't quite too sure. I feel like my mechanic or "family" member may have screwed it up. I was thinking about getting a new-used ECM. An actual GSR one. Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you buy the car new? Who threw a new ECU in it?
I bought it uses from a Mitsubishi dealership and it had no issues back then. When I had orders to Japan, I left my ride with a family member. So it was not used for 6 years. It eventually wouldn't start. Even buying a new battery didn't work. So I couldn't tell you exactly what went wrong to begin with. So I'm thinking getting a new used ECM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts