Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah...this is my idea of relaxing over Christmas...

Anyone have any ideas on how to relate HP to anything that can eventually help me determine a Load at a given RPM? I've been trying all sorts of math shennanigans and gotten...NOWHERE!!! :p I know Load is based on ingested air but there's got to be a way to relate that to HP, maybe a very lengthy mathematics calculation, but still...

Thanks!
verkion

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Well I mean HP is going to be based up on a number of factors, largely the AFR coming in. If you have the same air ingested but are running 10.0 AFRs you're not going to make the same power as say 11.5 AFRs. Leaner is meaner. So you'll HAVE to factor in AFRs to get anywhere in the ballpark of the expected HP output. Secondly, you can't make this distinction easily since timing has such a huge impact on hp/tq. Although more timing leaves more time for the burner to more thoroughly occur (thus leaning out AFRs), I'm sure there will be many exceptions to this rule.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
You will have an easier path to relate HP (indicated) to airflow (more specifically torque as HP is a function of RPM and torque). Where LOAD is air mass PER CYLINDER, not total input.

The more difficult part with boosted engines is to keep load high as the RPM increases while not exceeding a given value in the lower RPM range. For example reaching 300 load at 3000 RPM and holding 280+ load to 7000. To do that requires more than double the airflow at 7K than at 3K.

Don't forget that all of your calculations regarding airflow and load are going to be related to IHP, NOT BHP or WHP.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Load is Airflow.

You could relate Load to Torque. Engines make Torque at certain RPM's. HorsePower is just the product of those 2.

Load would have to be correct to use it as a TQ measure. i.e. Your Actual AFR needs to match your AFR in your Fuel Table.

Virtual Dyno is a much easier way to determine HP and TQ.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah...load and airflow. How would you mathematically relate that to TQ? It doesn't matter if there are a whole string of other variables in there, but I haven't yet managed to relate the two. I'd like to be able to determine "ballpark" figures i.e. 235 Load in x-gear roughly equals y-ft.lbs. of TQ.

Thanks!
verkion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts