Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
[Bone Closet Mod], [Marketplace Mod]
1,851 Posts
Yes that is called chumming the waters... a bit prematurely. Anyone that pre-orders is going to pay a hell of a premium and the salesman can't wait to get his commission.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Do you really think you are going to pay less than MSRP for the EVO X by waiting? This is the only thing in the Mitsu showroom that the salespeople know will be gone in 60 seconds, so good luck getting a discount. Canada will likely be sold out of them before the first one hits the Port of Vancouver.

I sold cars for a short time (~20 months) and sometimes a pre-order is the only way to get one. Also, it doesn't keep you from bargaining once the car is in stock. However, market factors will preclude the dealer from discounting it.

In Canada I was told we should expect a little more than 600 of the EVO X, so about 6-7 cars per dealer. I put a deposit down on one, supposedly #6 in line at Vancouver Mitsubishi (one of the bigger Canadian Mitsu dealers). Once they have ordering information, arrival times, colours, package details, pricing, then I can say to continue to hold the deposit and make it non-refundable, or back out at that time.

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Do you really think you are going to pay less than MSRP for the EVO X by waiting?
Sure, once the hype dies down a bit.

This is the only thing in the Mitsu showroom that the salespeople know will be gone in 60 seconds, so good luck getting a discount. Canada will likely be sold out of them before the first one hits the Port of Vancouver.
While I agree with you, you gotta realize it's a supply and demand thing. So while they'll be hard to get for awhile, eventually they'll be just like the evo 8 and 9 in terms of availability. And by then, they'll be much more negotiable.

The art of the whole game is to not wait too long to get the thing while still waiting just long enough to not overpay for it.

Just don't overpay for yours. Some dealers charged $45K for evo 8s when they first made it to the US. I suspect that some may pull the same stunt with the X.

I sold cars for a short time (~20 months) and sometimes a pre-order is the only way to get one. Also, it doesn't keep you from bargaining once the car is in stock. However, market factors will preclude the dealer from discounting it.

Good point.

In Canada I was told we should expect a little more than 600 of the EVO X, so about 6-7 cars per dealer. I put a deposit down on one, supposedly #6 in line at Vancouver Mitsubishi (one of the bigger Canadian Mitsu dealers). Once they have ordering information, arrival times, colours, package details, pricing, then I can say to continue to hold the deposit and make it non-refundable, or back out at that time.
Wow, only 600? Yeah, I can see why you're preordering. Wise move.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't put money down on one, but start calling around to any mitsu dealer within 50 miles of you or so and start talking to them about it and put your name down on the "call list." Trust me, even if they only have 1 in the dealership, you will get a call without money up front.

(this is for the U.S) I am not very familiar with Canada but business is business.

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
Even if I was in the market.. and wanted to order one, I sure as hell wouldn't do it from a dealership with a myspace page.. gross

I love that thread on evom though.. everyone asking for specs or ANY information about the car and the dealership (as usual) is dumber than any enthusiast and has no clue what is going on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here in Australia, I know of 3 people who've pre-ordered one, despite it still not being available for up to another 6-12 months time....

2 are company execs and one guy is a member of our local forums.

There is another small group of people on our local forum trying to organize a 'group buy' for as soon as they're released, apparently they've done this before with some success on getting a good discount per person.

Speaking for myself however, I would rather wait till they're released, I want to know exactly what I'm getting and full and accurate specifications on everything about the car and it would be good to review some thorough tests and reviews done on the car first.

Even if there's an agreement of a refund, I'd rather not deposit at all, unless 100% convinced and decided it's what I want :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is a good idea, usually we and other people have only done it for various car components and bits, but for the whole car is something else.... :)

You need to contact Mitsu dealers and see if anyone of them are willing to participate.

The biggest problem with this, is getting 'firm' or definite buyers, alot of people will say "yes I'm in" but be verbal only about it, for a dealer to take it seriously you need 100% committed people, so as soon as a price is established and deposits asked for, it can all proceed smoothly...

As for the 'group buy' on our local Aust. forum, I'll have to check where it's at, last I read it wasn't proceeding, because of the situation I mentioned above - hopefully it will happen and alot of people benifit from it :)

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
It is a good idea, usually we and other people have only done it for various car components and bits, but for the whole car is something else.... :)

You need to contact Mitsu dealers and see if anyone of them are willing to participate.

The biggest problem with this, is getting 'firm' or definite buyers, alot of people will say "yes I'm in" but be verbal only about it, for a dealer to take it seriously you need 100% committed people, so as soon as a price is established and deposits asked for, it can all proceed smoothly...

As for the 'group buy' on our local Aust. forum, I'll have to check where it's at, last I read it wasn't proceeding, because of the situation I mentioned above - hopefully it will happen and alot of people benifit from it :)

Maybe once an official price is agreed on, someone could collect $1000 per person, non refundable. If they fall through, then everyone splits that $1k.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe once an official price is agreed on, someone could collect $1000 per person, non refundable. If they fall through, then everyone splits that $1k.
That's an idea that could work, but maybe people will be reluctant if there is a no refund available clause attached to the deal.

With the group buy being organised here in Aust. from what I know there would be an initial deposit, even before final pricing/specs are known, then down the track when final pricing/specs are established, there is a small time frame window for people involced to make a final decision to go ahead or not, at which time you would recieve a refund if you pull out.

Once again, the problem here is that if too many pull out, the dealer may then not be able to offer a good saving...

This whole group buy idea is a very good one (provided you find a dealer who's willing to play ball) but the most important factor to make it all work, will be to get totally committed buyers and I'd say you would need at least 5-10 people to make it worth while for a dealer to take it onboard and be able to offer a good saving/reduction on the purchase price of the car :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.