Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lemme start off by saying I was ultra excited about the EVO X. The more I hear about it though, the more I understand Mitsubishi is departing from the market you would find here on the forum, and is appealing to the older people/ some female drivers/ "less performance driven buyers."

When you see an EVO IX you expect it to be driven by a person who is into raw performance. Mistu has decided to expand that to regular buyers who want a fancier trim... That isn't what the EVO is. I LIKE Navi, and LEATHER, and comfort, but I won't sacrifice serious performance and a 6 speed transmission for that.

The more I hear about the new evo, with only the base model having the 5speed manual gearbox, and no availability of a 6 speed in an MR makes me wonder if Mistu has forgotten about us as a market? Despite the ugliness of the STI it is becoming more and more of an option...

I also considered buying an new old stock 06.. but I won't pay sticker or even invoice for it... to me its aged inventory. Plus I want the new body styling...

Its really getting slim pickins... Mitsu is de-evolving with this car... Don't call it an evo... call it a Lancer LIMITED with some performance features... the evo was a raw beast... sure refine it, but dont take away the performance.

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Lemme start off by saying I was ultra excited about the EVO X. The more I hear about it though, the more I understand Mitsubishi is departing from the market you would find here on the forum, and is appealing to the older people/ some female drivers/ "less performance driven buyers."

When you see an EVO IX you expect it to be driven by a person who is into raw performance. Mistu has decided to expand that to regular buyers who want a fancier trim... That isn't what the EVO is. I LIKE Navi, and LEATHER, and comfort, but I won't sacrifice serious performance and a 6 speed transmission for that.

The more I hear about the new evo, with only the base model having the 5speed manual gearbox, and no availability of a 6 speed in an MR makes me wonder if Mistu has forgotten about us as a market? Despite the ugliness of the STI it is becoming more and more of an option...

I also considered buying an new old stock 06.. but I won't pay sticker or even invoice for it... to me its aged inventory. Plus I want the new body styling...

Its really getting slim pickins... Mitsu is de-evolving with this car... Don't call it an evo... call it a Lancer LIMITED with some performance features... the evo was a raw beast... sure refine it, but dont take away the performance.

While there things that I'm disappointed in and share your pain in, on other fronts, I just think you're wrong. Is the X designed to appeal to a broader audience? You bet. Is it trying to appeal to "less performance oriented buyers?" Not so much. Let's not forget the fact that overall, it outperforms every one of it's predecessors.

I also don't see how the inclusion of navi and leather has a negative impact in performance. They add no real weight to the car, and they're great features to have in a car. The evo X is evolving, despite what you think.

So for those reasons, I think you're being nitpicky and blowing things out of proportion.

With that said, yes, I have my gripes about it too. I preferred the styling of the concept much more than I like the final product. I too, am really bummed that there will be no MT in the MR.

But let's stop for a moment and consider what we really are...enthusiasts. Modifiers. We're going to buy these cars, and we're going to tinker with them and molest them until we reach whatever our personal goal happens to be. It's pretty plain to see that the X is a better platform to build a good car off of overall than the IX was.

You want the MR, but don't want the SST trans? I'm with ya. But you know what? Maybe if we bought a GSR, or even an RS (esp in your case since you seem to dislike the creature comforts in the evo) you could modify it into the car you want it to be. Tougher suspension, drop a few pounds, and a power modification or ten and viola! You have the car that you wished for.

We're always going to be a tough group to satisfy, since we're so picky. Could mitsu have done better? Definitely. Did they completely drop the ball? No way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
While there things that I'm disappointed in and share your pain in, on other fronts, I just think you're wrong. Is the X designed to appeal to a broader audience? You bet. Is it trying to appeal to "less performance oriented buyers?" Not so much. Let's not forget the fact that overall, it outperforms every one of it's predecessors.

I also don't see how the inclusion of navi and leather has a negative impact in performance. They add no real weight to the car, and they're great features to have in a car. The evo X is evolving, despite what you think.

So for those reasons, I think you're being nitpicky and blowing things out of proportion.

With that said, yes, I have my gripes about it too. I preferred the styling of the concept much more than I like the final product. I too, am really bummed that there will be no MT in the MR.

But let's stop for a moment and consider what we really are...enthusiasts. Modifiers. We're going to buy these cars, and we're going to tinker with them and molest them until we reach whatever our personal goal happens to be. It's pretty plain to see that the X is a better platform to build a good car off of overall than the IX was.

You want the MR, but don't want the SST trans? I'm with ya. But you know what? Maybe if we bought a GSR, or even an RS (esp in your case since you seem to dislike the creature comforts in the evo) you could modify it into the car you want it to be. Tougher suspension, drop a few pounds, and a power modification or ten and viola! You have the car that you wished for.

We're always going to be a tough group to satisfy, since we're so picky. Could mitsu have done better? Definitely. Did they completely drop the ball? No way.

^^^Kudo's... mitsu is adapting to a growing markets' needs.

and for the record.. i dont care if the new subbie's come hand dipped in choclate with sprinkles in the engine bay -those things are NOT sweet.

·
Registered
847 Posts
As someone who works for Mitsubishi on a day-in day-out basis, let me give you the overview of the aspects that Mitsubishi weighs in the production of vehicles such as the Lancer Evolution:

The acronym PACERS-T is very significant in the build of a car. Each letter stands for an aspect of a car that Mitsubishi recognizes as a consumer driven want.

Performance
Appearance
Comfort & Convenience
Economy & Value
Reliability
Safety
Technology (Recently Added)

Performance - The all-new Lancer Evolution X's power, torque, handling, body rigidity and lap times around the Hokkaido proving grounds have all bested the previous Lancer Evolution IX. The 4B11 engine no longer utilizes balance shafts or rocker arms on the camshafts. The 86 x 86 bore to stroke ratio improves the active rev range. The MIVEC system is now on both the intake and exhaust camshafts. The traditional timing belt has been replaced by the timing chain. Wouldn't you say these are performance enhancing features?

Appearance - While some may argue, till they are blue in the face, that the looks and styling of the new Lancer Evolution X revolt them, the undeniable fact of the matter is this: Base Lancer sales are up over 300% what they were in 2006 and a majority of survey responses show that the upscale appearance of the new Lancer is what caught their eye first and foremost. Appealing to a larger market and drawing more attention is good business, wouldn't you agree? In Mitsubishi's eyes, and in good business sense, that is a success.

Comfort & Convenience - The prior model Lancer Evolution IX did not have features like cruise control, bluetooth, SIRIUS satellite radio, 30GB hard disk drive MMCS navigation, FAST Key entry system, AYC (Active Yaw Control) or ASC (Active Stability Control). This was also an improvement in Mitsubishi's eyes.

Economy & Value - The Lancer Evolution has always been a model that prided itself on being able to compete with cars of a much higher pricetag. The current pricing on the vehicle is still way under what would be paid for those other supercars, even with all the extra ammenities that have been added to the car. For everything that it has and everything that has been improved since the IX, the Lancer Evolution is still, pound for pound, dollar for dollar one of the best valued performance cars out there, bar none.

Reliability - Since the 2003 introduction to the U.S. market of the Lancer Evolution, there have been talks of reliability issues and concerns regarding the build of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. But on the flip side of the coin, the Lancer Evolution was never engineered to be a drag racing monstrosity, which a hefty majority of U.S. Evo owners tend to do, be it legally on the track or illegally on the street. The Lancer Evolution has always been a car known for it's incredible handling ability, it's ballerina-like grace in taking turns and it's amazing display of power and acceleration in the low-to-mid range powerband. The new Lancer Evolution was created for the World Market, not just for the U.S. market. World-wide, drivers are much more in-tune with the Evo's true roots in road race motorsporting events and rally - things that are just taking a budding emergance here in the U.S. But let's not forget the main point... this car will be a car that is meant for the daily drive as a production model vehicle.

Safety - The last generation of Lancer Evolution only had 2 airbags to speak of. This new Lancer Evolution X has 7 standard airbags, a standard tire pressure monitoring system, the ASC (Active Stability Control) and the RISE (Reinforced Innovative Safety Evolution) chassis. All of these combine into one of the safest road-going vehicles in the market. No other vehicle in it's class offers the standard driver's knee airbag.

Technology - We've come a long way from a watered down U.S. version to having hard drive touch screen navigation at our fingertips. The new Lancer Evolution has truly evolved in the technology department and savvy owners will appreciate all the ammenities that Mitsubishi has added to close the gap on many of it's luxury cousins. Fact of the matter is that the all new Lancer Evolution is the most technologically advanced car in Mitsubishi's whole line-up here in the U.S.

All of these aspects, Mitsubishi has truly improved on and made a better car for all of us to drive. There will always be the handful that resists change or doubts advancements, but just as with any Evolution, those that do not 'get with the times' are left behind to face extinction. The same holds true for this model. And while Mitsubishi might not have been able to cater to the Mitsubishi 'hardcore' market, that segment does not make up a large percentage of the population. Many of these 'hardcore' folks are also making comments about how they will jump ship to other brands such as BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc... But here is the funny thing: Mitsubishi has been making believers of BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc. owners since it's debut over 10 years ago. With all the advancements and refinements that have gone into this car, don't you think it would be logical to think that more of those higher end car owners would think even more seriously about getting into a Lancer Evolution?

This is all just food for though and I do not mean to offend. It's just that with this recent Evolution and it's price hike, many current Evo owners are quick to downtalk the new Evo X and say, "I'll just get 'brand X' for that money" instead of just saying, "Wow, that's out of my price range." There is nothing shameful about that. We all earn what we earn and are entitled to get our money's worth. The same can be said of an auto manufacturer and their entitlement to get their money's worth. Mitsubishi spent a lot of hard time and money developing this car to Evolve to the next stage. Progress costs and this car has improved by leaps and bounds. The price just reflects that improvement.

It is also an obvious truth that some dealers will mark up their allotments when the vehicles go on sale to the public, but that is their right as a Mitsubishi franchisee. Just as people will negotiate down the Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price, becuase it is just a SUGGESTION, the retailer has the right to up the selling price by the same token. In a supply and demand driven market that the U.S. is, and with the scarcity that the Lancer Evolution will have in the U.S., due to the car shipping out to over 150 different countries now, when a dealer tells you that they are only getting 1, 2 or maybe even NO Evos, don't be surprised. Each dealer was only allotted a maximum of 2 Lancer Evolutions based on prior year's sale of the 2006 Lancer Evolution IX and current year's sales of the 2008 Lancer. Those who have excelled in their sales goals are rewarded with an allotment of two cars. Those who have just met the passing quota amount are given one. Those who did not meet the amounts required were not allotted any.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I apologize for mis communicating what I meant to say. I mentioned Navi/ Leather as I believe that is what Mitsu put it and sacrificed some of its other features to appeal to the older market. I love navi and leather is good too (I think most people like that). I love creature comforts, but if that is what I'm looking for Id go with an audi a4... I want the evo for the PERFORMANCE aspect. Are we sure the new evo outperforms every one of its predecessors? I heard the evo IX was faster down the line and had better handling... Is this not true?

I am not opposed to change... when I saw the new evo I thought it looked great, but in all the reviews ive heard I hear that the handling / turning is not as sublime as it used to be. Also do we have an exact on the hp yet? Its possible it will be slower in the production run no?

My biggest gripe is the penalty for having a manual transmission. When I first heard about the EVO I planned to get the MR with Navi and a 6 speed... That is not available, though most CURRENT evo owners would want a 6 speed right? (Unless your drag'ing it).

Also, if the price point is 40k.. i think you are losing out on a big market as well.... Are we saying that mommy and daddy are buying most of these cars for kids? If not how many 40+ year old people want to drive this car? How many 18-30 year olds do you know that can afford this car with the 5-10k price bump?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Itsallmuscle i will buy this car and i m 40+ years old

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well it looks like it will 35K for the GSR and 40K for the MR and I'm 30 and have the money and will be buying the MR. People keep saying the Evo is 40K and they don't want a automatic. First the SST isn't an auto it's a clutchless manual just cause it CAN shift for you doesn't make it a automatic, second the GSR isn't 40K I believe it starts at 35K and is a it's a manual with a clutch. The price jump isn't 5 to 10K it's 2 to 3K at most 7K for a fully loaded MR with options never avalible before.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi i m from Europe can anyone tell me how much cost EVO IX in USA.In my country EVO IX cost 52k to 55k Dolars.

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
I apologize for mis communicating what I meant to say. I mentioned Navi/ Leather as I believe that is what Mitsu put it and sacrificed some of its other features to appeal to the older market.
That's where I disagree with you. They really didn't sacrifice anything. The new chassis is a little heavier, so it's a tad slower in a straight up drag race as a result, but that can easily be fixed.

Are we sure the new evo outperforms every one of its predecessors? I heard the evo IX was faster down the line and had better handling... Is this not true?
That's not true. The IX is quicker in acceleration (by a few tenths of a second in the quarter mile), but nothing major. However, the X is significantly faster around a track, despite the fact that it's not quite as quick during acceleration (but it's very close). Don't believe me? Read one of the 30 reviews done by car magazines posted around the forums.

I am not opposed to change... when I saw the new evo I thought it looked great, but in all the reviews ive heard I hear that the handling / turning is not as sublime as it used to be.
On the contrary, it handles much better, especially compared to our USDM evos, which aren't as good as the J-Spec Evo IX.

So in a nutshell...

USDM IX < JDM IX < EVO X (which is the same everywhere)

I think you may be misreading the articles. The car doesn't have the insane 12:1 steering ratio that the IX did (which I loved), but that's just steering response, not actual handling.

Also do we have an exact on the hp yet? Its possible it will be slower in the production run no?
295hp is the official number. However, it's pretty well accepted that the number is underrated.

My biggest gripe is the penalty for having a manual transmission. When I first heard about the EVO I planned to get the MR with Navi and a 6 speed... That is not available, though most CURRENT evo owners would want a 6 speed right?
I concur. I want my classic manual MR.

Also, if the price point is 40k.. i think you are losing out on a big market as well.... Are we saying that mommy and daddy are buying most of these cars for kids?
Well, the GSR will be mid-30s.

·
Registered
847 Posts
^

Leave a deposit and you'll be first in line. I've guaranteed MSRP for anyone who leaves a deposit at my dealership. It's an agreement that I have with the owner on the incoming Evo Xs. He's stated to me that walk-in customers will be hit for $5k over sticker, as allotments are very scarce.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.