Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In September I purchased my second evo x. My first I bought in 2009 and it was a MR which I loved but I decided to trade it in and buy a 2011 gsr. Since the time I bought it I have noticed a click or grind noise almost every time I shift from 2nd to 3rd. It only happens going from 2nd to 3rd and it does not happen while down shifting from 4th to 3rd. Has this or does this happen to anyone else?? If so what did u do to correct it?

I plan on taking it over to Mitsubishi tomorrow so at least I can have them make a note of it and to look at it. The only thing i can even think of is a bad synchro or as some have said, it needs better trans fluid then what comes stock

·
Registered
440 Posts
I too get a sort of grind sound/vibration in the shifter when shifting into third gear. Once my tranny warms up it does go away though. I got so used to it I over look it I guess. I do believe you can install shifter bushings, better fluid and such to help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even when my car is warmed up it will still happen. Should I just drain the current stock trans fluid or let it run out and then change it. I am just fearful that there is something wrong with the gear box and or the synchro and then will require typical long Mitsubishi repair time

·
aka DolEvoX
1,554 Posts
nah it just sucks breaking it in. I think I changed mine around 5000 miles... I have about 8400 now and that crunch is gone. The AMS bushing almost pulls the shifter from second to third but then 4th is pretty tight. Better than getting hung up and feeling that grind though.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Even when my car is warmed up it will still happen. Should I just drain the current stock trans fluid or let it run out and then change it. I am just fearful that there is something wrong with the gear box and or the synchro and then will require typical long Mitsubishi repair time
After warmed up it shouldn't do it at all or very, very rarely. Is it happening each and every time?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know if it is a synchro issue I am just guessing. Everyone keeps saying its normal and it's what happens until its broke in. I just can't believe it's true. I'm taking it over tomorrow to get checked out and if it's normal Ill change the trans fluid and replace the bushings

·
Registered
955 Posts
It depends on how many miles you have on your car. If you have less then 3,000 miles it's normal, more than that it could be a problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I said in the beginning, this one is brand new in sept. it currently has about 2,750 miles on it. With that being said does that make it normal?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
As I said in the beginning, this one is brand new in sept. it currently has about 2,750 miles on it. With that being said does that make it normal?
If it happens everytime you shift...it is not normal. The normal issue is when the transfer/transaxle case are cold. i.e., within the first 5 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It only occurs when shifting from 2nd to 3rd no matter if it's cold or been running for 40min. If I shift from 2nd to 3rd slowly I can feel it engaging and it won't make the noise but when I shift normaly it happens

·
Registered
509 Posts
The grinding noise can also be due to improper driving. Since you switched over from an automatic to a manual transmission car, it may take some time to get used to it.

Make sure the clutch is fully disengaged and the shifter is fully in gear.

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
MT85 didn't work as well as the MTL for me.
:+1: I'm in the same camp. Only fluid that worked in my case was the AMSOIL. It fixed even the cold issue to a large extent, like almost 60% better now. But once its warmed up, I usually never have issues. Sad thing is that the solution is not the same for everyone. My SS and base bushings from TWM actually magnified the problem while everyone else was claiming it fixed their issues. :duh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts