Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
You talking about the rear bumper cover? The thing that is painted?

Read the svc manual - it has step-by-step instructions. Takes about 15 minutes for one person to remove it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You talking about the rear bumper cover? The thing that is painted?

Read the svc manual - it has step-by-step instructions. Takes about 15 minutes for one person to remove it.

No...it's a 08 Canadian model...other than the "painted" rear bumper, the flat black diffuser, mine also came with a thing called the "rear bumper protector"....It sits kind of in between the bumper and the diffuser....

Finally I decided to give that a try...and boy oh boy....I think our cars are little "over designed"...didn't time myself, but it took me awhile as I had no instrutions....

If I remember right, to take the rear bumper off, 2 bolts in the trunk opening area, 2 bolts in the wheel arches, 1 bolt behind license plate, had to completely remove the rear mud flaps, 2 clips to release the rear fender liner,4 clips to hold in the diffuser from the bottom

Then I finally was getting close to remove the rear bumper proctector (not). That little thing was held on by 10 bolts! Got them all removed, was thinking that must be it...nope! 12 more weired looking clips in the bottom...at that point I was thinking in my head 'OMFG...10 bolts and 12 clips to hold this thing in...., no wonder they need 10 bolts to hold the oil change cover....."

Anyhow, in the middle of repairing the protector....hope when that thing is ready to put back on, I will have an easier time

·
Registered
134 Posts
That thing looks hideous. Why do the Canadian Evos have them anyway?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Something about our crash test ratings. I think only our 08/09 have them. I don't mind it. The look has grown on me. Besides, it keeps my trunk clean from my exhaust

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something about our crash test ratings. I think only our 08/09 have them. I don't mind it. The look has grown on me. Besides, it keeps my trunk clean from my exhaust
Agree

Also less chance of scratching the bumper when moving golf clubs / bigger objects in and out of the trunk...

It does have a thick piece of foam between that thing and the rear bumper, so it does serve as a protector I guess...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.