Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up the Dodson filter just because it is in the OEM canister vs SSP's inline one. I have NOTHING against SSP's, I just like the OEM location one because of the dealership now hassling me over everything on my car when I have to take it in. I would just toss an OEM filter in if I had to take my car in for a tranny related issue. I know SSP said they are coming out with an OEM location one but I am needing one now.

Also would the Large capacity one be worth it? or just stick to the OEM sized one?

So in short, should I pick one up? or no?

Evo X SST Large Filter

·
Vendor
12,645 Posts
There is currently two different options - PM me if your need more info or would like to get one on order!

EVO X TL SST oil filter - $178.00
EVO X TLF SST large capacity oil filter - $238.00

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
I am looking to pick up the Dodson filter just because it is in the OEM canister vs SSP's inline one. I have NOTHING against SSP's, I just like the OEM location one because of the dealership now hassling me over everything on my car when I have to take it in. I would just toss an OEM filter in if I had to take my car in for a tranny related issue. I know SSP said they are coming out with an OEM location one but I am needing one now.

Also would the Large capacity one be worth it? or just stick to the OEM sized one?

So in short, should I pick one up? or no?

Evo X SST Large Filter
I dont think we need the Large capacity. You just need to pass that oil to that filter.

·
Registered
462 Posts
damn pricy for a filter

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's like $60 more then OEM and you can reuse it. I don't think it's bad at all when you look at it that way.
^This. I'll be closing in on 10k soon and would like to change my transmission fluid before the first event of the season anyway- still on the factory fill.

Might pick one of these up.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Yeah i would be going the Dodson filter assy for sure. shame i just changed my OEM one.

Keen to start hearing reports on how the exedy clutches drive.
I've got the SSP 500 set and i have to say they drive just like stock (well they did when the software tables were stock).
Might do some research on how the Dodson clutches drive in the GTRs ; i guess it will be a similar swap.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So word on the street is Dodson is a reliable company and you guys would trust their parts?

I am on the fence as to the OEM or the Regular sized Dodson one just because I do my transmission oil changes so far apart that I wouldn't really notice the price of buying the OEM one each time Vs. a reusable one. I don't ever track the Evo (no track here) and other than the odd hard pull here and there it doesn't get driven all that hard so I am just going to do my changes every 25,000km (15,500miles) which is about every 2 years... Currently coming up to 75,000km (46,600miles)

Freebs if you do order one, you mind ordering one for me too? I just want the normal sized one to replace the shitty OEM, can paypal u.
If I end up ordering one I will pick up two. Are you in a rush to get one? I might not order it for another week or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
just ordered the dodson SST filter...

just had my '08 MR serviced at mitsubishi dealer here in san diego [i need to find a good indie]; ask my service advisor to please KEEP all parts that will be replaced [expressively indicate the transmission filter] + to please show me a sample of all 4x oils [SST/transfer case, and 2x from rear diff], allowing me to take a look at their condition: advisors assures me to "consider it done!".
- fast forward -
service is done: no oils to inspect, no old [and presumably very dirty] trans filter. advisor's comment: "oh sorry, tech forgot to blot your oils, and by the way your SST transmission does NOT have a filter!" wow - who is training these 'mitsubishi EVO certified' technicians + service advisors? i had distinctly discussed the service process [including the naturally expected SST filter change/replacement] with her, before the car was released for the big oil change service. she gave me the impression that the EVO-X drive train multi-oil-change service procedure had been done by their service department many times in the past, including my request for the 'old parts'...

totally perplexed and after making numerous phone calls and consulting with some of her colleagues, did she, to her own amazement inform me, that indeed the getrag SST has a replaceable oil filter; cost $160.00 + extra for some more dia-queen SSTF-1; but, filter is not a stocked item: special order only. her quote: $160.00+tax - for a paper filter! i could not believe it...

long story short: ended up finding a perfect REuseable filter made by dodson motorsports, new zealand [known for their GTR trans bits] - hence me finding this forum thread.
also discover shepherd transmission [reseller in USA - $180.00+ship] and ordered one from them yesterday [thanx john shepherd - http://sheptrans.com/products/evo-x-sst-driveline-parts/transmission-filter-reusable/ ]. for just $20 more than the quoted OEM price this will be the LAST filter ever bought/installed for my SST transmission.

now i have to source either just a small amount [maybe 0.5-1.0 Liter] of dia-queen SSTF-1 [dealer/online only sell by 4 Liter can for something like $115.00 - $158.00].
or, it seems the consensus is that pentosin FFL-2 is the direct equivalent to the OEM dia-queen SSTF-1. is this correct? can anybody confirm this? thanx + and sorry for the long rant...

·
Registered
183 Posts
now i have to source either just a small amount [maybe 0.5-1.0 Liter] of dia-queen SSTF-1 [dealer/online only sell by 4 Liter can for something like $115.00 - $158.00].
or, it seems the consensus is that pentosin FFL-2 is the direct equivalent to the OEM dia-queen SSTF-1. is this correct? can anybody confirm this? thanx + and sorry for the long rant...
You'll love this thread to answer your question about equivalents.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/mitsub...uipped-models/590515-all-about-sst-fluid.html

·
Registered
214 Posts
just had my '08 MR serviced at mitsubishi dealer here in san diego [i need to find a good indie]; ask my service advisor to please KEEP all parts that will be replaced [expressively indicate the transmission filter] + to please show me a sample of all 4x oils [SST/transfer case, and 2x from rear diff], allowing me to take a look at their condition: advisors assures me to "consider it done!".
- fast forward -
service is done: no oils to inspect, no old [and presumably very dirty] trans filter. advisor's comment: "oh sorry, tech forgot to blot your oils, and by the way your SST transmission does NOT have a filter!" wow - who is training these 'mitsubishi EVO certified' technicians + service advisors? i had distinctly discussed the service process [including the naturally expected SST filter change/replacement] with her, before the car was released for the big oil change service. she gave me the impression that the EVO-X drive train multi-oil-change service procedure had been done by their service department many times in the past, including my request for the 'old parts'...

totally perplexed and after making numerous phone calls and consulting with some of her colleagues, did she, to her own amazement inform me, that indeed the getrag SST has a replaceable oil filter; cost $160.00 + extra for some more dia-queen SSTF-1; but, filter is not a stocked item: special order only. her quote: $160.00+tax - for a paper filter! i could not believe it...

long story short: ended up finding a perfect REuseable filter made by dodson motorsports, new zealand [known for their GTR trans bits] - hence me finding this forum thread.
also discover shepherd transmission [reseller in USA - $180.00+ship] and ordered one from them yesterday [thanx john shepherd - http://sheptrans.com/products/evo-x-sst-driveline-parts/transmission-filter-reusable/ ]. for just $20 more than the quoted OEM price this will be the LAST filter ever bought/installed for my SST transmission.

Pm me...I can help with indie mira mesa area

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
mmhm...

Paper filters are 5-10 micron (5 in the EVOX transmission I believe).
Metal gauze filters are around 100 micron or greater.
The filter might last forever, but the transmission life will be reduced as will fluid service interval.
hi martin, found this over at evolutionM.net: http://forums.evolutionm.net/mitsub...s/599438-dodson-replaceable-stock-filter.html

scroll down to the 4th post: 'joshster' posts an eMail he has received from Dodson mentioning that their stainless steel mesh filter for our SST, filters down to 30 microns, if i understand dodson response correctly, or?

5,221 Posts
hi martin, found this over at evolutionM.net: http://forums.evolutionm.net/mitsub...s/599438-dodson-replaceable-stock-filter.html

scroll down to the 4th post: 'joshster' posts an eMail he has received from Dodson mentioning that their stainless steel mesh filter for our SST, filters down to 30 microns, if i understand dodson response correctly, or?
Martin is just posting average filtering from some internet search, and not actual info about the dodson filter itself. SS filters are usually 100 to 10 micron and everywhere in between.

I would take his replies with a grain of salt, like usual.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.