Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I imagine 3M double sided tape would work, assuming the surface on the license plate holder is dead smooth. Stuff can hold alot.
Just make sure the 2 surfaces are cleaned of any debris.

course when and if you decide to remove the plate holder, you'd rip some of the paint with it.

I say just do a very neat job of drilling the holes

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I imagine 3M double sided tape would work, assuming the surface on the license plate holder is dead smooth. Stuff can hold alot.
Just make sure the 2 surfaces are cleaned of any debris.

course when and if you decide to remove the plate holder, you'd rip some of the paint with it.

I say just do a very neat job of drilling the holes
Maybe if I were to heat up the tape first?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I ziptie mine to the lower grille but I don't have the Aero package so I don't know if it would work on those. Granted, I lose some air to my IC, I take it off when I go to the track/dyno.

It fits, and doesn't scratch.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Jacky, the way the factory bracket is set-up, when it goes on, there is a template that the techs use to drill the holes. Once the holes are drilled, these rubber threaded expansion grommets go into the holes. The factory bracket is then placed over and the screws are threaded through the bracket and into each of the 3 expansion grommets.

The double sided tape idea is a good one, but I do not believe it will hold onto the bracket at higher speeds, as wind will get caught between the space between the bracket and the actual bumper. Once that wind goes in there, it will exert the same amount of pressure force on the back of the plate frame and I can see a plate fram coming off like that in no time.

Rather than do that and mar the front of your bumper, I have been custom fitting firm gauge steel brackets onto the foglight portion of the front bumper and securing it with bolts, nuts, washers and crush washers. The plate can bolt up right to that, extending upwards. No need to drill through the urethane bumper that way.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have heard about that too, but wouldn't you need a pretty strong magnet tho? And isn't the front bumper not metal? Excuse my newbienesssss :p
Well you would use two rare-earth magnets, one on either side of the bumper. It doesn't matter what material the bumper is.
But my google skills stink and I can't find any examples. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is it illegal to get a convincing replica of your plate printed onto stick vinyl? If not then you could simply stick that directly to the bumper and have no issues with wind. And with vinyl you know you could take it off with a heat gun.

Any modern sign shop should be able to make you a small, full color, vinyl sicker like that for $20-$30. :)

Dan

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm happy that Mitsubishi put it off to the side so as not to block the IC.

I would definitely worry about the longevity of the sticky tape/magnet route, especially at high speed

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm happy that Mitsubishi put it off to the side so as not to block the IC.

I would definitely worry about the longevity of the sticky tape/magnet route, especially at high speed
I guess I will just let the dealer drill the hole thing. I don't want the license plate to fly off when I am driving and hurt anyone...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I guess I will just let the dealer drill the hole thing. I don't want the license plate to fly off when I am driving and hurt anyone...
I know my idea is like throwing poo on the car and kills the look of the front end, but just zip tie it to the lower grille. I figure if you're going to keep your car, you could drill and it doesn't look too bad, but I'd feel bad knowing I had a choice with this car and still said "git 'R done".

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Is it illegal to get a convincing replica of your plate printed onto stick vinyl? If not then you could simply stick that directly to the bumper and have no issues with wind. And with vinyl you know you could take it off with a heat gun.

Any modern sign shop should be able to make you a small, full color, vinyl sicker like that for $20-$30. :)

Dan
Dunno about the US, but here in NZ there are a couple of cars around using a large sticker same size as the plate as a license plate.. not sure if its legal though. I think it has to be reflective and easy to photograph with a speed camera :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
i've been reading and seeing a lot of evo X owners not only here but other forums how to deal with the front plate. i dont think it looks that bad having your plate on the side. i let my dealer did the drilling and looks pretty good IMO!!! especially here its mandatory to have front plates and other parts of canada.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I went for a center mount on the black bumper. Then I use black plugs to hold the plate on, so if I ever remove it, the black plugs fill the holes, and its not really noticeable. Wish we didnt need front plates, but I dont get to make the rules.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mine is off toi the side, I had no choice the dealer had already drilled all the EVO's on the lot. It is required here, so I probably would have just had them drill it there anyways. I think it looks pretty cool. Total Japanese style.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.