Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I have heard considerable amounts of bashing of less expensive Japanese and Chinese made turbos and I have taken heed to this. However, yesterday my 20G Arashi (Japanese made) TD06H turbo arrived and I am going to install this and a new tubular manifold when I get home from working away. It will take me at least a couple of weeks from now to get it installed and tuned (Accesstuner Race) but I am determined to be driving this before the new year. Anyone who is on the fence regarding these turbos stay tuned for initial thoughts and updates after I log some km's...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Oh no, well I hope this is not the case!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I never owned much of chinese anything that wasn't garbage!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's Japanese so hopefully it doesn't go the way of its Chinese counterparts lol. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I never owned much of chinese anything that wasn't garbage!
Half of your car is made in china... just saying. In fact most of your close is made in china, most of the furniture, and certainly most of the electronics :)

I think made in china can be different.

I would rather say the usual: "you get what you pay for"...

·
[Global Mod], [Local Team Member]
2,511 Posts
Yeah I would not install that on my car. But hey good luck.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I wouldn't call them that bad turbos. I did the 20G Arashi housing and wheel up grade. I pulled 409 WHP (93 0ct, built block and GS2 Cams) on my current set up and pulled 377.7 WHP/381.4 TQ (93 0ct, Stock Block). I had the shop balanced mine after I received it, I can't say I have ever had any issue with it. I put a bunch of miles on it it with my old set up.

I would say that most people just end up going with what ever the hype is or what ever turbo everyone else is using (there is nothing wrong with that). If you looking for a turbo that will be a lot like a FP Green for a lot less, then you picked a good turbo. If you wanting around 500 WHP I would go FP Black, if you want 600+ most people buy something like a ETS PT 6262. For me when I get board I will probably just drop in a FP Black and a ETS Exhaust Manifold (tune on 93 oct & E85).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Most people don't even know that there are parts in their American made cars that are made in china. Don't knock it until you try it. Just depends on the quality. Good comment bro :rock:

Half of your car is made in china... just saying. In fact most of your close is made in china, most of the furniture, and certainly most of the electronics :)

I think made in china can be different.

I would rather say the usual: "you get what you pay for"...

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Fair point

Also, there's a reason why most go with the "popular/hyped" turbos...

better to be safe than sorry
Also the price of the bad turbo is potentially $15k on a new engine... if compressor wheel explodes.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Probably half of the items in your house are made in China.
Yes and most of it is garbage also. When appliances were made here they lasted way longer than they do today. I always try to buy american when possible but alot of times its not possible! I can tell you none of my hand tools than I use at home or at work are made in China and are way better quality than Chinese.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Yes and most of it is garbage also. When appliances were made here they lasted way longer than they do today. I always try to buy american when possible but alot of times its not possible! I can tell you none of my hand tools than I use at home or at work are made in China and are way better quality than Chinese.
Again, you somehow don't get it - most of the materials, parts and whatever else comes from China. So your tools say they are made in US, but assembled from most of the parts that come from China.

The only crappy things are the ones that are meant to be cheap. I also don't believe in domestic car quality(mostly cars as I rarely deal with US made appliances). They got better recently(as most of the parts are outsourced now to China ad other countries), but in 90s US cars were a complete garbage.

Regardless of this, I would still let others do a research at their expense for me and install parts that are knows to work well and safe. Don't have $15k laying around.

OP, good job on taking this fun project, I am tuned for the results.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The Arashi turbo's are Japanese made so you should be fine, after all, that is where the Evo was originally from! :innocent:

I've run just the 20g compressor for the last 30k miles and even pushing it into the red zone for boost & flow it's still going strong so I can't complain. Generally if you are tearing into the turbo system you are probably best off going with an MHI or larger but if you don't mind the labor and want better response versus all out power the 20g is a nice compromise.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts