Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
[Playstation fanatic]
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of these relays need to be replaced?

Attachments

·
Banned
4,212 Posts
Get a full kit from SSP or somebody and replace them all. The fuel pump relay there is the original often-faulty NAIS one.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The fuel pump is the main one that can cause serious damage if it goes bad. The others are more for peace of mind but still a good idea to replace.

·
[Playstation fanatic]
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a full kit from SSP or somebody and replace them all. The fuel pump relay there is the original often-faulty NAIS one.
Will do. Thanks UT! I have one relay from SSP 0810A32A are they all the same? Can I use one for now?

Yeh just replace them all with the kit from SSP.
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58941

I had originally left my starter relay as a green relay. It broke on me a month or so ago and I couldn't start the car. Better to just replace them all.
Maybe thats why my car sometimes wouldnt start at first time.

The fuel pump is the main one that can cause serious damage if it goes bad. The others are more for peace of mind but still a good idea to replace.
Thanks for all the input guys. Shouldve did this long time ago.

·
[Playstation fanatic]
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
[Playstation fanatic]
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure its not the case but to double check is a must. Will a tune get effected after replacing relays?

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
^normally no. Unless you had a faulty one for your tune.

·
[Playstation fanatic]
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Is this recommended to do for 2014 model years or do they have better relays?
All relays can fail. Just depends on how soon. I believe the 2014 still need the relays. There is a type of test you can do which is the "salt shaker" test. Not 100% accurate but it helps lol.

Or you can actually switch it with another relay and see if it affects anything, then you know if its bad.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
As an evo owner, i feel it is important to ALWAYS have the following extras on hand in the glovebox.

1) Sparkplug
2) A few Relay's

As far as the fuel pump relay goes, i've heard recommendations being tossed around to replace every other oil change (i'd also reccomend it). As far as the other relay's are concerned, replace as they fail. They're not too terribly important.

There have been two instances where i've needed my extra spark plug, and one of them left me stranded away from my family for thanksgiving weekend. I was pissed and depressed all at the same time. Moral of the story: always have these on hand. Autoparts stores don't stock evo x plugs, and their database references normal Lancer plugs. Ceramics breaking on evo x's are too common.

·
[Playstation fanatic]
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got the SSP fuel relay package friday, installed it the same day. I noticed these new fuel relays are made in Italy this time around. My one SSP fuel relay that I bought last year was made in USA. Any reason why the new relays made in Italy?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If you're ever in doubt, replace with new. Cheap insurance.
- Isn't there another way to check the relay, something about tossing it in the headlight relay < Sorry for my lack of nomenclature ^ and if your headlights don't come on you know the relay is bad. Vice versa, you know it's good. This is how they tested it when this problem 1st came out and are pictures and threads on it.

- Just like another poster said, I always hear people say check with the salt shaker test. This will not always tell you if the relay is bad. I work on aircraft and use the same relays. It's a good way if the relay is all jacked up right off the bat. Otherwise if it is not rattling the there is no way to tell other then testing it in another position or multimeter battery jump approach. The relay could still be bad. The relays don't always break in the same way.

·
[Playstation fanatic]
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should I reflash my tune after installing new fuel relay package? Will my tune be effected by any means after installing new relays?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts