Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently bought a GSR Evo X and love the thing to death.

My concern is when im really pushing it in 2nd or 3rd gear, every once in a while I will here a pop noise at about 5k RPM's then followed by the ASC service light that comes on. This happens in second mostly, but happened once in third this evening.

The car will have a slight slowdown but then pick right back up...almost like a hi-cup or something. I am really unsure to what it is and it sounds like its more on the drivers side coming from the engine? possibly? its hard to tell. The pop sound sorta sounds like a weird misfire but I dont think that, thats what it is at all.

The car is fairly new and I have done tasteful modifications with good parts such as Injen intake and ICP, and a turbosmart bov, also a 3inch CNT exhaust. I really didnt notice it until recently and the car has not yet been tuned...does this sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sounds like you're overboosting and the car is going into lite limp mode. I'd guess the pop is from fuel cut or hitting the rev limiter. I'd get a good tune. I run the same intake and when I was untuned it did similar behaviour but I was spiking to 29psi and running a lot of knock.

Go do a log and report back. Best way to help you mang ;)

So i recently bought a GSR Evo X and love the thing to death.

My concern is when im really pushing it in 2nd or 3rd gear, every once in a while I will here a pop noise at about 5k RPM's then followed by the ASC service light that comes on. This happens in second mostly, but happened once in third this evening.

The car will have a slight slowdown but then pick right back up...almost like a hi-cup or something. I am really unsure to what it is and it sounds like its more on the drivers side coming from the engine? possibly? its hard to tell. The pop sound sorta sounds like a weird misfire but I dont think that, thats what it is at all.

The car is fairly new and I have done tasteful modifications with good parts such as Injen intake and ICP, and a turbosmart bov, also a 3inch CNT exhaust. I really didnt notice it until recently and the car has not yet been tuned...does this sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, im hoping that is all. I dont believe its anything too serious cause the car will keep its power afterwards, but its happened about 7 times in the past 2 months which is starting to become aggravating, Ill let it warm up and make sure im not beating each gear, let it start to spool up in 2nd and then when I put my foot down it will get to 5100 rpm and then pop...slight loss of power and asc light.

I looked around and didnt see anything on it...on this forum and Evolutionm too
Best bet save up for a tune I guess.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that makes perfect sense, do you have any Idea what the pop noise could be? wastegaste maybe?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Get it looked at by a reputable tuner in your area. You'll love how it drives after.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive checked the hoses I can see and looked around and cant seem to find anything broken or popped off. But then again the Evo is new to me, coming from an STi to an Evo is like an all new learning experience.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ive checked the hoses I can see and looked around and cant seem to find anything broken or popped off. But then again the Evo is new to me, coming from an STi to an Evo is like an all new learning experience.
:rock:

Welcome to the real world!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so far shes been awesome and beats the look of the 08 sti anyday...just need to work out the small issues before I keep pushing her

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
You will need to go to a tuner. You may even be able to fix these issues with an AP. You can try out an OTS map and see if that helps if you decide to get one

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Kaizen tuning today and asked about it, basically theres not enough gas getting to the cylinder and it causes a pop noise cause its a dry fire... this can happen when driving stock ECU and having parts, or happen to just about any car. It can be fixed easy but if it was super redlined and over heated there a possibly of melted parts:wtfsign:

Luckily she sounds fine and Idles well, and hasn't been acting weird at all, im just driving her like a baby until thursday this week. There going to check it out and then do an Open source tune.

Wish me luck.:duh:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixed!!

so I went to Kaizen and we tried many things when we found out that the codes where getting thrown cause the turbo was pushing 30 psi (stock turbo) and it was making the car go into limp mode and the pop was the fuel line cut off to save the engine. So we turned it down to 24-25 psi and everything seems back to normal. Did and open source tune and she works like a champ.

·
Registered
678 Posts
so I went to Kaizen and we tried many things when we found out that the codes where getting thrown cause the turbo was pushing 30 psi (stock turbo) and it was making the car go into limp mode and the pop was the fuel line cut off to save the engine. So we turned it down to 24-25 psi and everything seems back to normal. Did and open source tune and she works like a champ.
I do believe that is what I said in the very first post ;) I bet it feels way better now that its tuned.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
glad to hear its fixed i am still waiting to get my first pro tune should be soon :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah your so right man, she is a totally different ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts