Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wonder .. if anyone has experienced the third gear clunking or the erratic idle and stalling issues ..

I also want to know how many miles are on your car now .. and if you still continue to experience these issues ..

The dealership hasn't been much help so I'm looking to you guys ..

Thank you very much!

~Danielle

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
I've experienced the erratic idling, got almost 1k miles on it and the idling has only happened twice as far as I'm aware. The car died on me and while at mitsu the service tech said he experienced the idling and he called mitsu support line and they said they weren't aware of any problems. He basically couldn't find anything wrong with the car.

And what exactly do you mean by 3rd gear clunking?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have about 600 mi and my 2nd gear sometimes it clunks kinda like the syncros don't catch 100%. Its only when the car is cold though, after its warmed up and I've been driving for a little bit it doesn't happen anymore.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes many people are having both of your issues. I'm not having many idling problems but the 3rd gear grinding I do have until it warms up. Some people have it in both 2nd and 3rd gear. Do a quick search on this forum and evolutionm.net you'll see that its very very common. Supposedly there is a reflash in the works to fix the idling issue as well as the high rpm hesitation. As for the notchiness in the gear I haven't heard anything.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes many people are having both of your issues. I'm not having many idling problems but the 3rd gear grinding I do have until it warms up. Some people have it in both 2nd and 3rd gear. Do a quick search on this forum and evolutionm.net you'll see that its very very common. Supposedly there is a reflash in the works to fix the idling issue as well as the high rpm hesitation. As for the notchiness in the gear I haven't heard anything.

Yea I've read many threads on these issues .. what I am wondering is does it go away? My mitsu dealer just wants me to "monitor" the problems .. but I don't want to, I want it fixed .. My 03 evo 8 has NO problems ..

My car's clunk doesn't go away after it warms up ..

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
AH... the grinding sound when shifting into third!! yes, I've definetly experienced that. It actually has been bothering me for some time cause I feel like its f-ing up my gears! wtf...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Over 2k miles, and 3rd gear is pretty much always kinda notchy, even after it has warmed up. It isnt really causing any issues, just feels weird.

·
Registered
81 Posts
okay im bout 900km and i only experienced once the idling thing and yes the 2nd and 3rd gear i got but now is slowly going away i dont feel much of 2nd anymore but 3rd when its cold eventually goes away when it get warm enough.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, I spoke with Ken at mitsu corporate, and he checked with the techs and they are aware of the notchy problem. Thing is that they say it's not a problem, but just how the tranny is designed. That feeling and noise isn't the gears grinding, as a grind usually lets out a high pitch screech. That feeling/noise is actually the synchros engaging. The tranny is designed to sift smoothly at high rpms and prefers to be speed shifted. The tranny is built for race/heavy duty use and as a result is extremely notchy around town. It will smooth out a little bit eventually, as mine has a tiny bit, but it will always be there to an extent. What's funny is that the car is notchy when shifted slowly, and gets worse with a slightly quicker shift, making people think that doing a full on speed shift is going to be that much worse. However, doing a very quick full on speed shift results in a shift that's as smooth as can be. It's strange, but again it's just how the car is designed. Don't be timid when speed shifting. Quickly and precisely shift gears and it will drop in cleanly and smoothly. DO NOT DO THIS WHEN THE TRANNY IS STILL COLD OR THE NOTCHY=INESS WILL BE EVEN WORSE. Once warmed up though, it's fine. Again, this is both based off of my own experiences with my X, and confirmed by a mitsu corporate. If they come out with a minor adjustment or fix down the road that helps this then great, but it's really nothing to be worried about in the mean time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
600 miles no grinding no notchness, none. It shifts like butter and better than my civic si which had 3rd gear problem so bad that their are forums over the internet all over.

However car is at 1-2k RPM when sitting idle but i don't see any problem with that.

Is any body having weired sounds like (door opens in horror movies) while taking turn at very slow speed, sounds like its from the leather steering wheel????

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I spoke with Ken at mitsu corporate, and he checked with the techs and they are aware of the notchy problem. Thing is that they say it's not a problem, but just how the tranny is designed. That feeling and noise isn't the gears grinding, as a grind usually lets out a high pitch screech. That feeling/noise is actually the synchros engaging. The tranny is designed to sift smoothly at high rpms and prefers to be speed shifted. The tranny is built for race/heavy duty use and as a result is extremely notchy around town. It will smooth out a little bit eventually, as mine has a tiny bit, but it will always be there to an extent. What's funny is that the car is notchy when shifted slowly, and gets worse with a slightly quicker shift, making people think that doing a full on speed shift is going to be that much worse. However, doing a very quick full on speed shift results in a shift that's as smooth as can be. It's strange, but again it's just how the car is designed. Don't be timid when speed shifting. Quickly and precisely shift gears and it will drop in cleanly and smoothly. DO NOT DO THIS WHEN THE TRANNY IS STILL COLD OR THE NOTCHY=INESS WILL BE EVEN WORSE. Once warmed up though, it's fine. Again, this is both based off of my own experiences with my X, and confirmed by a mitsu corporate. If they come out with a minor adjustment or fix down the road that helps this then great, but it's really nothing to be worried about in the mean time.
Thank you .. I'm a drag racer and that is one thing I'm worried about .. I'm gonna give it a whirl ..

·
Registered
586 Posts
i had it too then it went away.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.