Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for reccomendations. not looking to race. looking for rugged terrain, boulder climbing, log and bush tracks. mates have got Polaris 850 xp's, looking for comparable but cheaper options.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I hear the mid 80's honda 4trax was/is a bullet proof atv. Even on forums they say the same thing. They will go forever I hear. But if you want more fun. Get a dirt bike. Plus no need for a trailer if you have a few of them.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.ah cool yep thought about a trialls bike. test driving a Polaris 550xp tomorrow, that should be an interesting quad. needing a trailer doesn't faze me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used to race ATV,s back in the day, and have been around them and mx bikes most of my life. You can go wrong with Honda for Utility Quads in regards to reliability, However alot of guys have moved over to CanAm They have some bad ass 4x4 quads on the market.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Honda's will always be reliable. So I'm sure he meant can't go wrong.

But the CanAm utilites are some pretty tough machines to beat right now.

The side by sides are pretty cool as well since you can carry to people. But they are 50" wide so it depends on the trails you are going on.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
There's nothing wrong with needing a trailer. Its easy to drive with one. But for me, its always a lot more convenient and easier to be able to get three dirt bikes and all the gear in my standard silverado bed and go. I did the trailer thing a couple of times when we would take 4-6 bikes but gas mileage became a lot worse plus it sucked when we would go to local places with it once we were at our destination and have to pull it everywhere also.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Plus with a dirt bike, you don't have to use training wheels like quads :p lol As long as you don't go crazy on it, they are safer then quads. I've seen quads and atvs roll on people or fall on them. It wasn't good. I just use my dirt bike for trail riding. No tracks or crazy usage.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ive got a yamaha grizzly 700 with the power steering and love it. I only buy yamaha's. I have 4 yamaha dirtbikes, the grizzly, and 2 yamaha snowmobiles and i have had countless other yamaha's in the past IMO they are the most reliable well built machines around.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Getting dirt bikes into a truck is much easier than an atv. If you fall it's 200 versus 600+ if you got a big utility. Plus you can only carry one atv.

I really liked having the trailer. It was nice because you would have a place to go if it rained or if you need wanted to change. You could leave all your gear in the trailer and be ready to go. As opposed to having to load everything the night before or morning of. Plus you could carry a lot more stuff that you might not take if you didn't have the trailer.

I think it also depends on how close your riding spots are. Mine were far so it was an all day thing for us. We had a 16*8 trailer so it cut the gas mileage in 1/2, so that is something to think consider.

It's an expensive sport to get into. But what isn't. Between gas, entry fees to ride, parts to break, upgrading parts.

I miss it, though.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Getting dirt bikes into a truck is much easier than an atv. If you fall it's 200 versus 600+ if you got a big utility. Plus you can only carry one atv.

I really liked having the trailer. It was nice because you would have a place to go if it rained or if you need wanted to change. You could leave all your gear in the trailer and be ready to go. As opposed to having to load everything the night before or morning of. Plus you could carry a lot more stuff that you might not take if you didn't have the trailer.

I think it also depends on how close your riding spots are. Mine were far so it was an all day thing for us. We had a 16*8 trailer so it cut the gas mileage in 1/2, so that is something to think consider.

It's an expensive sport to get into. But what isn't. Between gas, entry fees to ride, parts to break, upgrading parts.

I miss it, though.
Yeah, it cuts gas mileage in half. And loading and off loading isn't too bad. But riding areas for me are less then an hour away. Farthest is like 2 hours. Which isn't to bad either. And its cool if you have a toy hauler or a rv trailer. But a normal trailer just load stuff isn't always worth the hassle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.