Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you all know, I'm a fucking noob when it comes to any kind of racing. On that note, I'm sure a lot of you guys have done auto cross. Any tips for me before I do my first event?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Some of the clubs have a autox school the saturday before their first event. It's a good way to get your feet wet. If not just show up with a Snell aproved helmet and be sure to catch the novice meeting. Usually at the begining of the season there are lots of first timers so don't get freaked out. Ask for a instructor for your first couple of runs to so you get the hang of it.

Also when your working talk to the guy holding the flag and the radio as much as you can without distracting him from watching and calling in cones. Chances are he has done plenty of events or he wouldn't be in charge of the flag and radio. Get advice.

See if you can get a vet to walk the course with you and explain the lines. Chances are you will forget everything you are told about the propper line your first run, but once you get past looking at cones and actually see the line at speed it will all make sense.

I suggest for your first even run your car in "off" instead of "off off" until you get used to it.

Most important just have fun. Autox is really laid back and I've never met a ******* at a even yet. Everyone is super cool and all there for the same reason. Also get ready to spend some cash. Once you get one event in you will be hooked. Next thing you know you have 3 sets of wheels and tires and every penny you make will go to shaving that last 10th of a second lol

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
You're here in KC region right?

You going to a local KC region scca event?

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm in Manhattan KS right now, but I'm moving to SC next week.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice Justin

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
check my sig for my auto-x experiences and what to expect (every region varies though)

best thing to do first run is literally put-put around at slowww speeds. everybody is different, but some people spend 3-4 events just getting used to reading cones. there's no shame in scooting a long slowly - just focus and imagine going through it quickly

everytime I'm at an event and I see a rookie slowly moving about the track, I listen for times each run to see how much he/she improves. I've never seen a rookie that went all-out improve much at all through the day

most important is to think how you can improve as a driver - not what handling mod you need next. it's almost always driver error (or inexperience is a better way to put it)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Last year I attended the Solo Level 1 school through the SCCA, and you really get your money's worth. You are immersed in autocross all day, it's such a great learning experience if you can go.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome guys, I don't know where I will be able to do autocross in SC but I'm sure I will find a place. I will go to the school if there is one for sure

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Slow in, fast out. Focus on that in the corners.

Most importantly! Don't be a pussy! If you don't spin your first few times out you aren't pushing it hard enough :D. Obviously though, more importantly, don't go beyond your comfort zone too much, be safe!

When you get there your first time you'll feel pressure most likely. So you'll try *too* hard and go too fast and spin. Thats ok though. It's best to find the limit earlier so you know where it is :)

ASC OFF or OFF OFF. If you leave it on you will be face palming in regret :(

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slow in, fast out. Focus on that in the corners.

Most importantly! Don't be a pussy! If you don't spin your first few times out you aren't pushing it hard enough :D. Obviously though, more importantly, don't go beyond your comfort zone too much, be safe!

When you get there your first time you'll feel pressure most likely. So you'll try *too* hard and go too fast and spin. Thats ok though. It's best to find the limit earlier so you know where it is :)

ASC OFF or OFF OFF. If you leave it on you will be face palming in regret :(
Haha, thanks. Just as long as i have fun!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im so excited right now, I'll be going to my first event on Monday! Everything should be good, I did all my checks and had my oil changed. I will be using my stock wheels until they are worn down, so I will see the difference with better tires next go around. I bought an HJC Snell approved helmet today as well, I hope it will be ok!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Im so excited right now, I'll be going to my first event on Monday! Everything should be good, I did all my checks and had my oil changed. I will be using my stock wheels until they are worn down, so I will see the difference with better tires next go around. I bought an HJC Snell approved helmet today as well, I hope it will be ok!
what AutoX your headed to bud. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's at Carolina Motorsports park in Kershaw. You should go man, you have Monday off right?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes sir! I understand man, get that family time in before you hit the trail!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.