Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my turbo is royally fucked and the season is just starting. I'm looking to get my car back in the game in under 2 months time so I can still qualify for full season points. I've looked at a lot of the more popular turbo options out there but most people are only interested in boasting about how much WHP their dyno-queen, hard-park machine can make. I'd much rather get advice from those of you that run upgraded turbos for auto-cross. With that in mind:

• What turbos have you guys had success with in auto-cross?
  • Did you have to change anything in your driving style to account for the delayed spool?
  • What class are you running?
Thanks,
-Loc

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If it was me, since we both have MR's, I would look no further than the MHI. It makes perfect sense. Your engine won't mind, and neither will your SST. You'll be able to make 400 DJ WHP, and it will spool almost like stock and be a blast to drive.

If I ever decide to upgrade my turbo it will 100% be an MHI.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was me, since we both have MR's, I would look no further than the MHI. It makes perfect sense. Your engine won't mind, and neither will your SST. You'll be able to make 400 DJ WHP, and it will spool almost like stock and be a blast to drive.

If I ever decide to upgrade my turbo it will 100% be an MHI.
That's at the top of my list right now and the only reasonable option I've heard of so far. But I just want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence on this because this is going to be a very sudden purchase that I'll have to live with for years.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
That's at the top of my list right now and the only reasonable option I've heard of so far. But I just want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence on this because this is going to be a very sudden purchase that I'll have to live with for years.
I don't think I've heard anyone say they aren't happy with their MHI. Especially someone who's primary interest is auto-x. I know if I had to pick a turbo in the next 5 minutes I wouldn't hesitate. Think of it as a stock turbo that is capable of 50WHP+ over stock on the top-end.

What happened to your OEM turbo?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I've heard anyone say they aren't happy with their MHI. Especially someone who's primary interest is auto-x. I know if I had to pick a turbo in the next 5 minutes I wouldn't hesitate. Think of it as a stock turbo that is capable of 50WHP+ over stock on the top-end.
Thanks; definitely still top of the list. My ultimate goal is just over 400whp anyways so that fits within the future plans.

What happened to your OEM turbo?
Good question! It's not holding boost, there's a fuck ton of smoke coming out of the exhaust, and it's making weird noises. It's got a shitload of blow-by and shaft play so I'm yanking it soon before it explodes and damages more than just itself.

For ease of the swap is say MHI is really the best choice.

I think the best overall solution would be a small EFR set up like Morricus is doing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks Rik.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
For ease of the swap is say MHI is really the best choice.

I think the best overall solution would be a small EFR set up like Morricus is doing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Agreed. I loved the MHI. I think I'll love the EFR more, but there is of course a considerable price difference between the two.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
I'd stay stock frame and simple.. EF2 or MHI.

Keep stock-like spool with a little better high end power, and a better torque curve.

·
Banned
1,664 Posts
Yeah I would look at either the MHI or an EFR 7163 or 7670. I know the 7670's are currently in stock but not sure about the 7163.

My personal choice for those goals would be the EFR 7670 and have BakaUnchi drop it in and tuen it for you quickly. If you have the cashflow you could get the Evo up and running in about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sad panda...I saw your car out there on saturday, so i assume this happened during sundays race?

I've got an MHI sitting in box still, waiting for the stars to align...so i wish i could give you a honest opinion on it. .. I mean, it looks good.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sad panda...I saw your car out there on saturday, so i assume this happened during sundays race?

I've got an MHI sitting in box still, waiting for the stars to align...so i wish i could give you a honest opinion on it. .. I mean, it looks good.
Happened at Bremerton event #1 the Sunday before. We looked into it Saturday night and that was the result.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does the MHI require upgraded injectors and fuel pump as well?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've been reading that you might be able to get away without a fuel pump on 92.

I think you're going to need injectors however.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
That looks extremely customizable and I have no idea what half the numbers/options mean...
Well there was a typo in there that didnt help. 58/58 is the size of th turbo i opted for the .64 housing. Small by most metrics, with a bored and stroked 2.4. Gives me 5000 rpm power band with full boost coming in around 32-3400 and pulling up to the 8800 redline. I run street modified street tire class.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I forget if you told me/us if you're in ASP now?

to play devil's advocate

don't look at this from a turbo perspective

look at this from a classing perspective

How dedicated are you to the competition/classing?
Do you really want to be competitive and build to fight in a particular class? How competitive?
Local/Regional? Is local/regional competition worth it for you?
National level? Is national level competition worth it for you?

Then you answer if this is a turbo question vs a classing question

upping the turbo from ASP goes into SM - which is a whole different ball park. You're not just allowed upgraded turbo's in SM, you're allowed full motor builds and stripping the interior.

Pretty much - "what turbo would be fun in autox?" vs "what turbo would be the most competitive in SM?"

ASP Car: (shameless plug ;))

SM Car:

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I forget if you told me/us if you're in ASP now?

to play devil's advocate

don't look at this from a turbo perspective

look at this from a classing perspective

How dedicated are you to the competition/classing?
Do you really want to be competitive and build to fight in a particular class? How competitive?
Local/Regional? Is local/regional competition worth it for you?
National level? Is national level competition worth it for you?

Then you answer if this is a turbo question vs a classing question

upping the turbo from ASP goes into SM - which is a whole different ball park. You're not just allowed upgraded turbo's in SM, you're allowed full motor builds and stripping the interior.

Pretty much - "what turbo would be fun in autox?" vs "what turbo would be the most competitive in SM?"

ASP Car: (shameless plug ;))

SM Car:

I'm already in SM due to carbon fiber hood. I won't be building the engine and I'm not really concerned with being super competitive so I'm not necessarily looking for the absolute 100% best turbo for auto-cross. I want to have fun so I'm running in OPAX with an SM index on street tires.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Im did some reseach on this also. I was looking at the MHI, the EF2, the 71hta, but decided to max out the stocker with e85/bolt on's this year. What kinda fuel do you use?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts