Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Quick question re the AYC / ATF fluid reservoir in the boot ( trunk! ) as mine is all over the place!
Only had my car 2 weeks, low mileage (6500 miles ) lady owner, never been thrashed 330 SST model, and noticed the level was above the 'full' mark. Used a clean tube & drained it off to the full level & all seemed ok. Checked it yesterday & the level was below minimum!!!!! Topped back up with the fluid I removed, back to max .... heavy traffic drive to work this evening ( approx 7 miles ) checked again & level was minimum! I have no signs of leakage etc under the car etc.
I am aware this is a non-pressurised system but not happy with these differing levels! Should I be concerned or is this normal and if it is normal, what should I look out for when things might go wrong!
Fluid is silky clean ( pink colour ) with no smell etc. Car still has 10 months left of the warranty.
Thanks
Mark

·
aka DolEvoX
1,547 Posts
when you checked it in the first place was your car "cold"? I would imagine the SST (I drive a GSR) is similar to the engine oil and having it "full or above full" would be an ok thing when cold since the turbo/engine and in this case the trans would be gulping it from the resivoir.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The level changes a LOT. Check the reservoir after driving the car for a while as you need to check the level when it's warm.

Just monitor it, but it'll fluctuate a bit between min and max.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes, the levels will change depending on when it's checked. It takes the fluid some time to make it's way back into the reservoir after driving the car. Check it when it's cold, and hasn't been driven in a while. It should be at max. After driving it, check again, it will likely be at or below min. In short, you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Careful adding fluid. Lots of stories about checking it at the min level, then adding and fluid and having it spill into the trunk.

Check it cold, drive it, then check it again. If it's between the lines let it be. I would avoid filling it if it is at or above the min line at any time.

FYI the system is highly pressurized, just not on the reservoir side. It's alot like a brake master cylinder, it sucks in fluid when it needs it can pushes excess out so the level is always up and down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.