Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am at the end of my wits with this one. My belt keeps falling off. It only happens at cold starts, and not all cold starts. Only certain ones, when the stars align, it will slip off. I once caught it because I was wary that it might fall off, so I had a second person look at the belt while I turned the engine (without starting it) and the belt wanders off the pulley pretty quickly. Within 6-7 turns, the belt falls off. When it happens upon startup, the belt falls off within the first .5 seconds of starting. I have replaced my pullies with hyundai metal pullies. I have replaced my tensioner assembly. The belt still falls off. I have a gates belt and a gates water pump, the rest of the system is completely OEM. Here's one interesting detail:
The belt issue started happening when I replaced the water pump. I replaced it with the gates unit 42144 purchased from MAP. The pump came with all three parts; the pump, the pulley, and the part that connects the pump to the block. I installed it as it was but I had the above issues with the belt start happening. So I removed it, I took some measurements, and I ensured that the Gates PUMP itself was the same dimensions as the OEM one. I installed the Gates PUMP on the OEM pulley and OEM piece that connects to the block. The belt still falls off.

I'd say this issue happens once every 3-4 days and it's super annoying. Any thoughts as to why it could happen? :wtfsign:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I would start with checking for the alignment of all the pulleys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean use some kind of level to check if any pulley is sticking out or too far in? Can't really fit much between the pulleys, maybe some sort of string? But, if there was a difference in pulley alignment, wouldn't this throw my belt off all the time, or when I'm at high revs? I can do pulls with no issue and the belt doesn't fall off. Only during cold starts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any updates on this? I'm having an issue with my belt riding off center on my tensioner idler pulley. I thought it may have been the pulley itself, replaced it and it is still off center. So I'm also looking for a way to ensure all the pulleys are lined up correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts