Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
boiled my brake fluid over the weekend so interested in hearing what people have had good success with at the track.

for my last service my mechanic filled in a generic brand which he said was made by the same manufacturer as motul... the bottle looked similar but not sure about the contents... either way has made me lose confidence in motul...

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I use ATE Super Blue Racing and like it a lot. You cannot beat the price and it is only a few degrees off on boiling from Amsoil and Motul.

ATE Super Blue Racing: (~$12-$20 per liter)
Boiling Point: 536F
Wet Boiling: 388F

Amsoil Dot 4: (~$13.60-$16 per pint)
Boiling Point: 580F
Wet Boiling: 410F

Motul RBF600: (~$14.99-$20 per pint)
Boiling Point: 593F
Wet Boiling: 420F

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
i use Brakeman Xtreme6 5.1 when I have it, or RBF600 when I need to get something locally. both are great and cheap, but I have to order the brakeman stuff

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I would stick with the Motul RBF600. It is widely available and not very expensive. The problem with the ATE is when it boils over, it turns into a thick gel that sticks and is hard to bleed out. It also stains the resevoir blue colored.

Also, Motul 5.1 is not RBF600 (Racing Brake Fluid). Make sure to get the right one for the track.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I would stick with the Motul RBF600. It is widely available and not very expensive. The problem with the ATE is when it boils over, it turns into a thick gel that sticks and is hard to bleed out. It also stains the resevoir blue colored.
You can get ATE in amber as well, same rating, makes bleeding a snap when swapping blue to gold.

The problem with Motul RBF600 is that it is simply too hygroscopic as a long term solution (absorbs water). It is one of the BEST fluids for performance applications, but I wouldn't use it unless on a dedicated track car or unless you plan on changing it more often.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I am more concerned with the ATE fluid turning into the gel. It is really hard to remove and gunks up the whole system. Of course if the fluid never reaches the overheat point, you are fine. I used to run ATE and I would have to flush the system every track day, it overheats a lot and fast. Believe me, this stuff is hard to get out once it solidifies.

I run RBF600 all year round with no issues and it lasts many track days before I have to change it. Even when RBF600 overheats, it maintains its fluid characteristics - the color just changes to black.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Never heard that about the ATE before...glad mine hasn't done that!

Thanks for the advice, Z K. I'm going to flush it out and pick up some RBF soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love the ATE stuff, never had a problem. Most of the guys out here at MMP use ATE from what I've seen and have good experiences with it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I can also suggest the Endless or Project Mu brake fluid.. very good stuff but a bit pricey. It may be cheaper or easier to find in your country.

Heat ratings are higher than RBF600 and closer to RBF660 but with very good wet boiling points and long lasting.

Project Mu G-Four
Dry 335C (635F)
Wet 221C (430F)

Endless RF-650
Dry 323C
Wet 218C

·
Registered
34 Posts
Castrol SRF has long been the industry standard as the best. Their exclusive rights to the formula expired several years ago so there are more companies marketing that fluid at better prices.
Gulf Competition from the UK is one of those.
That said, most people don't have to spend this money on BF.

ATE super blue is a great start, but if you exceed it abilities, RBF600 is the most widely available racing fluid right now and does the job 95% of the time.
Alternatives are PBR BF600 Racing Fluid- Identical to RBF600 but way less expensive.
RBF660 works real well too.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The problem with Motul RBF600 is that it is simply too hygroscopic as a long term solution (absorbs water). It is one of the BEST fluids for performance applications, but I wouldn't use it unless on a dedicated track car or unless you plan on changing it more often.
I made that statement and fell into the "I have read that this is how it is" crowd without having any personal experience with it. In 2011 I am resolving to break the tradition of "I read this is the best/worst" and be a little more subjective. I got a great deal on some Motul RBF600 and decided it was time that I give it a try. I don't like trying to sell something that I haven't tried and after many positive reviews from cycles to off-road vehicles, I am going to give it a shot. I change my fluid regularly anyhow, I am going to run it through the summer and then see how it is holding up. So far I have ran the ATE Super Blue Racing and OEM, hard to tell color change on the blue stuff but also never had any gunking issues.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
+1 Definitely try out different things.

I've found that regardless of whatever fluid it is, I change it every other track day. Everything overheats - just depends how hard you push it. I used to burned up ATE fluid in my CIVIC on the track. I can only imagine it would boil over a lot quicker in an Evo. The RBF600 overheats as well but the overhead is higher.

The Evo is extremely hard on brakes and it is one of the weak points to having a heavy car with lots of power - you need some heavy duty stuff to reduce speed quickly.

Having used the ATE and RBF600, next on my list is the Endless or Project Mu stuff. Project Mu pads are now the pads of choice for me, maybe their fluid is good as well.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Having used the ATE and RBF600, next on my list is the Endless or Project Mu stuff. Project Mu pads are now the pads of choice for me, maybe their fluid is good as well.
I looked at the Endless stuff but it is pretty spendy!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Alright, I just ordered the Project Mu G Four brake fluid. I found a place to get it for a decent price. It is nearly 1/2 the price of the Endless but with higher heat ratings. Seems cool that it is green but will turn clear when it overheats. Makes it really easy to tell when you need a flush.

I usually go through brake fluid very fast. I buy RBF600 by the CASE. If I can change fluid less often, this is well worth it.

Now I just need a track day to try it out. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Alright, I just ordered the Project Mu G Four brake fluid. I found a place to get it for a decent price. It is nearly 1/2 the price of the Endless but with higher heat ratings. Seems cool that it is green but will turn clear when it overheats. Makes it really easy to tell when you need a flush.

I usually go through brake fluid very fast. I buy RBF600 by the CASE. If I can change fluid less often, this is well worth it.

Now I just need a track day to try it out. :)

so when's the next trackday?:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts