Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the form but I have owned my evo x for 5 months it's a 2.0L with a gtx3576r. I wondering about what clutch is good for some hard pulls but drives like stock? thanks, guys

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to the form but I have owned my evo x for 5 months it's a 2.0L with a gtx3576r. I wondering about what clutch is good for some hard pulls but drives like stock? thanks, guys

FWIW I went with the setup below and have been happy:

Clutch Masters FX400 - 6-Puck / HR Pressure Plate
Clutch Masters Aluminum Flywheel
MAP Clutch Master Cylinder Upgrade (New OEM Evo9)
STM Clutch Fork Stop

Pedal feels close to stock, but doesn't slip at all dropping it with launch control pushing 540hp/380tq dynojet.
No chatter with the aluminum flywheel, but how light it is takes some getting use to.

·
Registered
179 Posts
X-Puck clutches are only a real issue if they are un-sprung. A solid puck-style clutch is like a lightswitch and is not fun on the street in an AWD car. They're also torture on the drivetrain!

How much torque do you need to hold? Exedy's stage 1 (available in 322/382tq holding specs) is a great street clutch.

If you want to make crazy torque, I'd strongly suggest a twin disc option of some sort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your input. I want to keep my Torque under 400 should I go with a Competition stage 2?

·
Registered
179 Posts
A lot of the guys like the Comp ST2. Do note there are different part numbers for sprung and solid discs for the Competition setup. Both the Exedy and the Comp have a heavier than stock pedal effort and a smaller/tighter engagement point. You'll probably be where you want to be with either setup.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Yeah, I have the seedy twin disk HD. And get tired of it quick in traffic. Stiff. And more like an on/off switch engagement wise.

Holds plenty of power though. And had It for over two years lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
People are all over the place on comp clutches on how good kr bas they are. I would personally recommend the ACT HDSS. Drives just as easy as stock and pedal pressure isnt bad at all. It also comes with the monoloc so no tob pop out issues. Dont forget to upgrade your CMC with any clutch you go with though as last thing you want is to get stranded with a busted CMC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an Exedy stage 2 HD, I’m pushing 530 HP/400 TQ on Mustang dyno and it’s holding up pretty good. It’s a bit heavy, takes some getting used to. But it’s been great so far. However, like the one guy said, if you do a lot of city driving it can be frustrating in heavy traffic. I live in the sticks, so typically it doesn’t bother me.

·
Registered
884 Posts
People are all over the place on comp clutches on how good kr bas they are. I would personally recommend the ACT HDSS. Drives just as easy as stock and pedal pressure isnt bad at all. It also comes with the monoloc so no tob pop out issues. Dont forget to upgrade your CMC with any clutch you go with though as last thing you want is to get stranded with a busted CMC.
Another vote for the ACT ME3-HDSS. Feels almost exactly like stock, and is supposedly rated to the tune of 500 tq or close to it.

Regardless, its arguably hands down the best clutch for a stock block car.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Another vote for the ACT HDSS street clutch. I've that with the ACT street lyte flywheel installed as my replacement clutch over the OEM that worn out. In the 8K miles on it now, It's broken in and drives pretty damn good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll be sure to look into getting a ACT HDSS when my OE clutch goes. I had a bully stage 3 clutch on my lightly modified subaru legacy gt and it was a chore getting the car moving from a standstill.
The factory clutch on these cars gets a lot of hate and I dont see why. Its perfectly adequate on my lightly modded evo.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The factory clutch on these cars gets a lot of hate and I dont see why. Its perfectly adequate on my lightly modded evo.
On your lightly modded Evo maybe. This guy is on a big turbo setup.

The ACT HDSS gets lots of love and rightfully so, its a great choice for a single plate clutch. If you're a big baller the Exedy twin disc is probably the best for what you want but it's substantially more money. The twin disc does also have the side effect of chatter when disengaged. Whether that is cool or an annoyance is up to your taste.

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 For ACT HDSS with Streetlyte flywheel grab combo. I'm coming from the Comp Clutch stage 3 which was a huge let down, only ran it for 18k miles as a DD, never launched and the TOB sheared off the wedge collar from Comp.

·
Registered
884 Posts
On your lightly modded Evo maybe. This guy is on a big turbo setup.

The ACT HDSS gets lots of love and rightfully so, its a great choice for a single plate clutch. If you're a big baller the Exedy twin disc is probably the best for what you want but it's substantially more money. The twin disc does also have the side effect of chatter when disengaged. Whether that is cool or an annoyance is up to your taste.
It doesn't matter what turbo he is on if he is still on the stock block.

The HDSS is rated to somewhere around 520 TQ, stock block isn't usually tuned for more than ~400.

If he was on a built block, I would recommend a twin for a weekend warrior. Daily driver I would still go HDSS or HDG6 (6 puck sprung single)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts