Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm looking to get my airbag light cleared after doing a seat swap. Can anyone recommend a dealership (and/or specific technician) to see for this work? It's not warranty work, I know it will cost me a little. I'm mostly concerned about finding someone that is willing to work on a modified car, and won't try to screw me on the price.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Hi - I'm looking to get my airbag light cleared after doing a seat swap. Can anyone recommend a dealership (and/or specific technician) to see for this work? It's not warranty work, I know it will cost me a little. I'm mostly concerned about finding someone that is willing to work on a modified car, and won't try to screw me on the price.

Thanks.
I have never been there, but contiunally hear good things about the Aurora Max Madsen dealership. I think I'll be using them to do the teach in on my new Dodson clutches. I have zero concerns about warranty, since my car has reached the point of no return!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chad. Let me know how they treat you. Aurora is a bit of a haul for me, but if that's the right place to go then I guess I'll be cruising southwest in the near future.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If you are just looking to get the light cleared, autozone or any of those places will let you use a code reader and I think those will clear the light.

Or you can buy a bluetooth obdII reader off of amazon or ebay and use the android app called torque, it will let you clear the codes as well.

But if you want to go to a place, go to Touge Factory or AMS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure that the places you listed can clear an airbag light? That would be great if they could, I just assumed a proprietary, non-OBD code like that would need to be cleared by the dealership.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Are you sure that the places you listed can clear an airbag light? That would be great if they could, I just assumed a proprietary, non-OBD code like that would need to be cleared by the dealership.
If you have non oem seats, you can't get that removed. There is a kit to fool the system into thinking the OEM seats are still there...includes a resister ect.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If you have non oem seats, you can't get that removed. There is a kit to fool the system into thinking the OEM seats are still there...includes a resister ect.
Link please

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes - I used resistors, and re-installed the factory weight sensors on the passenger side. I should be good to go. Unfortunately, I didn't have the battery disconnected during the swap so I got the light.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
I have never been there, but contiunally hear good things about the Aurora Max Madsen dealership. I think I'll be using them to do the teach in on my new Dodson clutches. I have zero concerns about warranty, since my car has reached the point of no return!
YES. aurora is the only good mitsu dealership in chicago area. not all max madsen's are created equal...

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
have you tried just disconnecting the battery for a while. If all you're doing is trying to clear the code?

if that doesn't work, then a trip to autozone to have them clear it.

if it comes back after that then your resistor probably isn't the right resistance or isn't installed properly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, haven't done an extended batt disconnect.

I'm still skeptical on the autozone airbag light disable. But if you fellas say they can do it, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
533 Posts
^^Any luck yet.

And, you're right. Don't waste your time going to local parts stores. The scanner they use is basic (like mine, basic matco). It'll only clear ses/check engine lights. They won't clear abs, airbag, etc. etc. Try the battery first and go from there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I dont think OBD tools can clear airbag lights because airbag lights are controlled via SRS control units. OBD tools are usually for ECU related issues. Plus, I don't think any dealership would help you clearing this because they would not want to be liable if you got into a collision and hurt/killed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
^^Depends on the car. Some require abs/srs scanner (option) and some don't. Meaning you can clear the code with a basic scanner. BUT most of the newer vehicles need that option (abs/srs) in order to clear it. Some scanners do come with all the options. For example.....

http://matco.carscan.com/Support/TroubleshootDetail/58d1d906-3f6a-40e4-a6f0-922fea24400a

But even that isn't a for sure thing (depending on car make). Have to wait and see what "worked" for the OP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It may take me a few weeks to get through this. I will provide an update when all is said and done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts