Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a gopro hd2 motorsports version and am looking for the bare minimum needed to hook it up to a traqmate (including the traqmate itself). Which places have the best deals for these things? If any of the vendors see this, please send a quote my way.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I think this kind of stuff is pretty low volume sales, so prices are pretty much what is advertised, unfortunately. I don't think any vendors here sell traqmate. Let me know what you think of the system when you get it. The GT3 guys don't seem to like it for some reason. IIRC, something to do with reliability and difficulty to use.

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hmmm.....what do they recommend then, Racepak?

I actually heard the opposite argument for traqmate vs racepak. Apparently Traqmate is the easier one to use.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Im pretty sure Forged performance sells traqmate

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Why do you want Traqmate? What specific features do you need?

There are many GPS-based recorders that will give similar results - although not with engine RPM - for a much lower cost. And software is readily available to combine camera data with track layout.

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you want Traqmate? What specific features do you need?

There are many GPS-based recorders that will give similar results - although not with engine RPM - for a much lower cost. And software is readily available to combine camera data with track layout.
I'm all ears. I won't spend the money if I do not have to. My main driver towards traqmate is laziness. I don't wanna spend time after an event putting everything together on a computer. I have too little time as it is.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
hmmm.....what do they recommend then, Racepak?

I actually heard the opposite argument for traqmate vs racepak. Apparently Traqmate is the easier one to use.
Good question. The truth is, there hasn't been one defacto 'go to' datalogger that everybody loves. This is probably why there are so many options out there currently. My experience:

1) racechrono pro: works ok, but can be unreliable (will stop logging in the middle of a session for no reason). Also, the software to analyze the data is very rudimentary and difficult to navigate. Data output at 10hz
2) Harry's laptimer: software is great, but the data resolution is poor. 5hz is the best you can do with gps data, and I'm only getting 3hz output from the obd output. Also, exporting data on HLT is TERRIBLE. You can only do one lap at a time, and the resolution is bad, so the data overlay is jagged. The video looks fine if you use HLT to overlay video taken from your phone, but that's because the data is interpolated/averaged out to make it look smoother than it really is.

I'm currently considering:
http://www.rlcracing.com/products.htm

20hz gps, and a very nice/unique feature in which the gps data is so accurate, the software can actually trace out your driving line on the track. Very useful info. Also has obd linkup. Also has option to link to your gopro and sync video automatically.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I haven't done enough research yet, but from what I've seen, I've been really leaning towards AiM Sports' DaVid data acq system. It does a great job integrating it's built-in sensors (G loads, GPS, etc), CAN-based ECU logging (configurable using any CAN address from EvoScan), and multiple cameras. It'll let you create really cool overlays with all that data, even multiple camera angles. And it comes with a decent analytics tool called Race Studio to actually use the data to help you improve.

The hardware:
http://aimsports.com/products/david/index.html

The software:
http://aimsports.com/products/race-studio/index.html

I dunno if it'll work with the GoPro, but you can probably resell it for near retail. I'd shop for the best system, not the one that works with the camera. And whatever you end up getting, you know you're gonna have to let me play with it, right? ;)

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Qstarz bt-1000ex lap timer (retails for $225/US)
5 Hz and 10Hz versions.
users guide:
http://www.qstarz.com/download/BT-Q1000eX-Users Manual.pdf

Totally needs a computer to define where the track is andwhat sector time markers you want. Comes with software that can "merge" video with the track layout images. Has lots of split time data and lap time logging avialable. Easily movable from car to car - no electrical connections to car required other than a secure mounting system. Smaller than a cell phone. Get one slow lap on the outside of the track followed by one slow lap on the inside to define the track (pavement) boundaries. Than it will show all the racing lines between the two (assuming no off-road excursions). Has no display - only on/off switch. Claims 40+ hour battery life.

10hz version:
http://www.qstarz.com/download/BT-Q1000eX 10Hz-Quick Start to QRacing Experience-Eng.pdf

qstarz lt-q6000 lap timer, retails for $449/US

Has a small display screen that will show lap times, split (sector) times, etc. Personally I don't think I will be able to view the data screen while on-track as it's kinda small and I like to pay attention to where I'm going and it's difficult enough to read on the street.

Has 3-axis internal G-sensors in addition to 10hz GPS logging. Does different things that the one above without a computer/software to interpret, but it's not everything. Again no elec connection to the car is needed. Comes with windscreen suction cup mount and brackets and software (same as SW unit above). Claims 7+ hour battery life depending on amount of time with screen lit.

users guide (PDF):
http://www.qstarz.com/download/LT-Q6000 User Guide.pdf

The software says it will coordinate up to seven (or was it nine?) video files with the track layout movement. I will know more next week after I track test them this weekend. All of this combining requires a computer. There are no provisions for adding more vehicle data such as RPM inputs.

All units have blue tooth connectivity to other devices for sharing the GPS signal.

Just some lower cost options.

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good question. The truth is, there hasn't been one defacto 'go to' datalogger that everybody loves. This is probably why there are so many options out there currently. My experience:

1) racechrono pro: works ok, but can be unreliable (will stop logging in the middle of a session for no reason). Also, the software to analyze the data is very rudimentary and difficult to navigate. Data output at 10hz
2) Harry's laptimer: software is great, but the data resolution is poor. 5hz is the best you can do with gps data, and I'm only getting 3hz output from the obd output. Also, exporting data on HLT is TERRIBLE. You can only do one lap at a time, and the resolution is bad, so the data overlay is jagged. The video looks fine if you use HLT to overlay video taken from your phone, but that's because the data is interpolated/averaged out to make it look smoother than it really is.

I'm currently considering:
http://www.rlcracing.com/products.htm

20hz gps, and a very nice/unique feature in which the gps data is so accurate, the software can actually trace out your driving line on the track. Very useful info. Also has obd linkup. Also has option to link to your gopro and sync video automatically.
Traqmate does this too and is capable of 10, 20 and 40 HZ sampling rates. :shades:

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man! most of these options seem to cost just as much or involve more work after the event. I guess Traqmate is only marginally overpriced for what it offers.

As far as standards are concerned, I think Traqmate is what most race events use to do their inspections. It is definitely the more popular one of the brands out in the market right now. If only I can score a great deal......a used one wouldn't bother me as much either.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Which traqmate are you thinking of getting? I've been surfing their website, and I don't see any ability to log through OBD, and I don't see any mention that their software has ability to map out your 'exact' location on the track (width of the track) so you can see your driving line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpmTGvbawWM&feature=youtu.be

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which traqmate are you thinking of getting? I've been surfing their website, and I don't see any ability to log through OBD, and I don't see any mention that their software has ability to map out your 'exact' location on the track (width of the track) so you can see your driving line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpmTGvbawWM&feature=youtu.be
I am looking for Traqmate basic and Traqmate HD video interface. or just the traqmate complete.

There is no OBD, but the other two features are available according to the following user manual, unless I am missing something.

http://www.traqmate.com/downloads/usermanual/TraqmateUserManualLatest.pdf

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I am looking for Traqmate basic and Traqmate HD video interface. or just the traqmate complete.

There is no OBD, but the other two features are available according to the following user manual, unless I am missing something.

http://www.traqmate.com/downloads/usermanual/TraqmateUserManualLatest.pdf
So are you planning on hardwiring to get rpm/throttle position/etc data since there is no obd/can bus option?

Yes, I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying regarding the driving line. It's hard to describe. Watch the full video of the youtube video I posted. Nobody else I know of can do this. Traqmate only shows your position on the track if track is only the width of your car. RLC will show your position in regards to the width of the track, so you can see your driving line, not just your position on the track... As I read this, it still seems unclear... just watch the whole video link. Pay attention to the part featuring 'exact track map' :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The more I read about the RLC the more I like it. I see no need for their pro and lite pod versions. Track Commander seems to offer everything I want with gopro integration. hmm.....

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Is GoPro2 more set up for this application whereas original GoPro HD Hero won't work so well unless you want to slap a rear-view angle or something?

I talked in great detail with ol' Joe about these setups and after pricing it out I quickly saw I was in over my head :duh: Bought a set of wheels and tires instead...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.