Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions and experience-based observations requested :clap:

What do ya'll reckon is the best oil to run in your Evo? I changed my oil @ 1,000 mi. and installed Mobil 1 simply because that was the OEM recommendation. I know it's pretty good oil and that I should stay with a synthetic, but I want the absolute best protection, performance and efficiency possible. So what's the prevailing wisdom: Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, etc., etc.??
:amen:

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
No best oil really. You can probably find an article online for everything single brand of oil as to why they are the "best". There are reputable ones like Amsoil, as hollywood have already commented, Mobil 1 extended performance, motul...etc. Look for group 4 synthetic as they are the "true" synthetics. Rumor has it that mobil one we have in our cars are group 3, so it is a blend of very refined mineral oil + synthetic, but no one can really prove it. Stick with whatever you think it is the "best".

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
I will have to say in addition to my post a couple of things.

1. In the chart above I posted it has Pennzoil as #3. Yet I would still put any of those other oils in the car over it. So like Jacky said everyone has some "Independent lab" that shows their results and can make themselves look good in one way or another. Also the reason I wouldn't use Pennzoil is because everycar I have ever pulled apart thats ran it for any ammount of time has (Varnished) internals. Simply put it actually burns into the pores in the metal bonding with it. Yeah it may give more protection that way but it also builds up over time. I have actually seen it so bad that it added to the engines compression ratio, and had valves too thick to move anymore. That kind of build up on parts with tight tolerances at firsts robs power, then turns into stress that leads to failure.

2. I used to work for an environmental company that cleaned tanks for refineries. Everything from gas, oil, methanol, or whatever. Shit they used to lower me through 12" openings 20' underground to clean out old bunker C tanks. Anyways to get to my point I got to see the insides of where a lot of todays oil is stored before its packaged up and sent to market. Some of the places would have all kinds of crap in their tanks you sure as hell wouldn't want in your car. So Im selective on who I use for products. Shell, Amsoil, and Quaker state.

Edit; Also Kendall (I completely forgot about) is a damn good product

·
Registered
361 Posts
I use Royal Purple, cuz it's purple! :rock:
Not really, it's just my personal preference in the list of performance motor oils.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts

·
Grumpy young man
10,629 Posts
hmmmm, a 5-qt bottle of mobil 1 is $24 at walmart, i get k&n filters online for $10 a piece, that seems to work pretty well. if Grand Am racecars use off the shelf mobil one for 24 hr endurance races, that sounds like good enough reason for me. im sure Amsoil would be better but whatever.....

·
Registered
383 Posts
My next oil change is going to be with AMSoil. I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference while driving. This is a thing that can only be proven by the test of time.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Can't go wrong with oem oil. If you would really like to change it up mobil 1 ep is a good oil, As is amsoil.

I use Eneos Fwiw.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Can't go wrong with oem oil. If you would really like to change it up mobil 1 ep is a good oil, As is amsoil.

I use Eneos Fwiw.
I use peanut oil.... :godance:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts