Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Im going to be purchasing a new laptop during black Friday sales and would like to know what all of you prefer to tune with or think would be the best laptop for tuning with Cobb's ATR software? This will be the main use of the laptop as i already have a home computer for all other uses. I appreciate all of your input!! :dancebanana:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Honestly I would just get something cheap with a good battery life. It only needs 2 USB ports (one for accessport cable, one for wideband if you have it and since you're tuning I hope you do)

I have an older laptop setup w/ 64bit Windows 7 and it works great. Maybe even consider a netbook since it would be smaller and easier to bring along lol.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
something light with good battery life. Make sure the software is compatable with your OS. Some wont run on 64bit.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok perfect, this is great info thanks guys! And yes i do have a wideband no way id be tuning w/o it! So do i need a specific software to tune with cobbs atr? Or a specific one to make it easier? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I have a macbook pro cause I'm into photography and such and I dual boot to windows 7 for tuning. Its a pain in the ass since this is a larger computer but like they said any computer will work. I preferred my old POS computer since I didn't care if it got damaged or anything and I could leave it in the car. Just get a cheap computer from walmart and call it a day. Something small.

As for tablet tuning...EvoScan is coming out with a program that runs on tablets. No clue when that'll be out...

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I use a Core i7 laptop. Logging surprisingly drains resources a lot. Especially if you are logging a lot of parameters. Not only that but get something with a lot of Ram 4GB or 8GB. Since for logging that is crucial.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I was going to suggest a lot of RAM but that can be upgraded later. The processor...not so much. You can get a nice i5 or i7 with no ram to make it a cheaper buy and then upgrade the ram later whenever you have the money if that's the issue. If not then go for the good processor and high ram. ACER has the smallest computers and they have some great processors in them too. If you upgrade your ram later make sure the motherboard can support at least an upgrade to 4Gigs of ram. It'll be in the system specs. If the motherboard can't support it then you're just wasting your time. Yeah it'll have 2-4 slots and you CAN put 2gig sticks in each slot but like I said...the mother board can't support more than 4 gigs it won't use more than 4 gigs. Okay...off my soapbox now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If your budget permits, I would recommend an Ultrabook. Much better battery life, fast resume, SSD and fantastic portability.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome guys! Thanks for the info. I don't really want to spend more than $700 on it since ill be using it mainly for tuning and travel here and there. I've had my eye on the new HP pavilion dv6t and dv7ts with the 9 cell battery. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Get a car charger for what ever you get and never worry about battery life while flashing again. We had a few near misses where the lap top went dead moments after flashing with it still showing 15 minutes or better of battery life.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I just got an Alienware M17x R3. It would not be considered the best laptop for tuning. :)
But... it does work just fine for tuning.

Having an SSD drive works really well, because normal hard drives like to shut off when you hit a bump.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I just got an Alienware M17x R3. It would not be considered the best laptop for tuning. :)

Having an SSD drive works really well, because normal hard drives like to shut off when you hit a bump.
:shades:

I remember the feeling of my sudden realization of what was causing my evoscan logs to be missing portions of the log, usually around where I expected my peaks to be and wanted the best resolution. I felt like a moron, and promptly turned that feature off. It did make me feel good to realize that my car accelerating made my laptop think it was in free fall.

·
Registered
351 Posts

Nice pick up Golden - those are hefty laptops. Is this the secret to your tuning, haha?

Just get 4GB of RAM as mentioned, and you can go with an AMD processor to save some money. I think SSD is probably out of your price range. And of course run Win 7 x64 to take advantage of the 4GB of RAM (normally with a non-x64 you will only be able to access around 3.2GB). In general 4GB is fine. I have 16GB in a desktop computer and normal applications, etc. use only around 2-3GB.

Honestly, you should EASILY be able to get something under $500. Check out Dell's refurb's on their website - usually some great deals there if you spend a week or so checking.

Oh, and one other thing - maybe grab a DC to AC power inverter so you can plug the laptop in when tuning. Saves the hassle of worrying about charging if you are out doing a road tune. I installed a 2500 watt power inverter (you only need a cheap 150 watt or so one; check Amazon) and it's probably the best thing I did to the car :)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Not a PC guy, but can't go wrong with a T-Series Thinkpad. Have a buddy who uses one for tuning Hondas and those things are workhorses and have been around for a while with tones of aftermarket support.

I know they can be a little on the expensive side, but there is always...

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts