Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As there are plenty of turbo kit options available now for our platform. I would like to hear what you guys recommend or would like to see on my MR.

I have ran FP Green, HKS 7460R, HKS 7460 Kai turbo in my X before, this one will be my 4th turbo in past 2 years.

I wanted something that would be reliable, has good warranty backup, and preferably ease of installation.

I am thinking to go bigger this time, and run a conservative low boost tune safely on stock block/tranny.

Your opinion will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
what was wrong with all the other turbos? Sorry if i missed the threads...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hollywood: that kit is for GSR I believe, the GT3240 has a SST specific kit. Just gone through two HKS GTII turbos failures I don't know if I should go back to the brand again....although this turbo is totally different animal...

Demon X: I haven't seen enough data of the AMS kit, especially on SST. Steel is now having SST issues and I'm not sure if it was due to the turbo kit...

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
The Kai failed? Wow.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Hollywood: that kit is for GSR I believe, the GT3240 has a SST specific kit. Just gone through two HKS GTII turbos failures I don't know if I should go back to the brand again....although this turbo is totally different animal...

Demon X: I haven't seen enough data of the AMS kit, especially on SST. Steel is now having SST issues and I'm not sure if it was due to the turbo kit...
Are you sure it's not the tuner? All those turbos are reliable yet you are having problems.

·
[Local Team Member], aka JDAVID-EVO X
16,650 Posts
Yeah that's true, there isn't much data on this turbo kit and plus on a stock blcok?.. I hope you find the perfect turbo for your taste.. GL!!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Kai failed? Wow.
Shoot both hks failed?
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51495

Are you sure it's not the tuner? All those turbos are reliable yet you are having problems.
First one was due to melted turbine wheel due to flaw in the design.

Second one seemed to be the bearings...pending removal to confirm.

The tune was not an issue, I had two different reputable tuners to tune my car. Boost and A/F were well with limit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not going to lie, I've been looking down the road at what I'll end up getting, and for some reason I still picture it being the AMS 750R kit. Granted this means clutch packs and strengthened internals, but I'm being realistic and taking my time seeing how it goes with other SSTs as well. Hopefully by the time I get to that point there will be more examples.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^It's a beautiful kit no doubt about it, how are the Precisions turbo in general in terms of reliability?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Easiest is to just go with a Black. U give up a bit of spool for a ton of power. The top end is where the MR really shines. Smashing gears without power loss is epic.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
AMS was recently looking for a MR owner to do some testing with them for Dodson clutch packs. They were doing a killer package on a 750r kit, dodson clutches, etc etc. I would call and talk to them about it if you're interested. The Dodson clutches should/will hold anything a 750r can put out. And it'd be a good excuse to build the engine. :)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NEWB:I have been thinking about the Black, at the same time not sure if I should stick with stock-framed turbo, as you always need to run high boost to achieve good power.

I'm thinking to run a setup that requires less boost and stress on the motor that makes decent power.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts

No he is not. I spoke with him and tuned his car. His SST issues are he was having SST issues prior to the AMS kit and had a local shop work on the SST and they FUBARED it up. So now SSP is working with the shop and him to get it all squared away.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I've run a Red on stock SST, tracked it a bunch, no problems at all. Since yours is a street car i can't see you running into problems.

The AMS 750R is definitely on my shopping list though (with aftermarket clutches installed and a built motor)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
NEWB:I have been thinking about the Black, at the same time not sure if I should stick with stock-framed turbo, as you always need to run high boost to achieve good power.

I'm thinking to run a setup that requires less boost and stress on the motor that makes decent power.
I hear you but with all the supporting mods u have it may be a very viable option. Put it this way. I put down 430whp on a black with 20psi ....... That's not much boost. I do have an advantage of oversize valves, cams and crank. But im still on stock wastegate, ex manifold, intake manifold, etc.

You have a lot of mods that would make that FP_black scream and to top it off the SST will rock with keeping the power band up.

I know there is a member here selling one. Heck for the price give it a shot, if u don't like the power band just sell it.

I love the power of my FP_black, all I can say about that :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts