Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats goin on everyone....

Ok here's the situation im dealing with. Im 22 and Im scheduled to go on a deployment at the end of the year for 6/7 months. I currently have a 04 srt-4 and i like it but im looking to get a new car with alittle more room when i get back and im thinking of getting an evo. The reason i chose the evo over my other maybe car (g37 coupe/or 370z) was because it had a backseat and it was alittle more roomier. I like the look, and I like the fact of having a sedan that i could also take to a track day. I've also done alittle bit of reading and from what ive seen so far it doesnt take much to make the evo a fast car.

SN:My girl also has a 05 altima. And i was thinking of getting an evo x.

my question is do u think the evo is a car i can have as a daily driver and still take to the track?
And is this a car i can get and 10+ years from now if i still have it i wont feel like a goofball ?
How is the evo as a daily driver?
Is it a reliable car?

BTW im already a member of a g37/370z forum and an evo forum and asked them the same question. Just wanted to talk to ppl who drive these cars. thanks to any and all advice you can provide.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
:yeahthat: You can take it to the track stock sure and it'll be fun and you can have it in 10+ years and not look immature (I think that's what you meant). You can mod it and use it as a daily. You can do anything you want with it because it is a car. You said you want a back seat so out of the 3 choices you gave its the only one that makes any sense. I'm not really seeing where there is a difficult decision here.

SN: I would stop telling ppl you have an SRT4, on any forum. lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:yeahthat: You can take it to the track stock sure and it'll be fun and you can have it in 10+ years and not look immature (I think that's what you meant). You can mod it and use it as a daily. You can do anything you want with it because it is a car. You said you want a back seat so out of the 3 choices you gave its the only one that makes any sense. I'm not really seeing where there is a difficult decision here.

SN: I would stop telling ppl you have an SRT4, on any forum. lol
Yea thats exactly what i mean thx

ha SN: lol i already have ppl posting notes on my car to get rid of it haha

·
Registered
504 Posts
I looked at both cars you mentioned above and settled on the Evo. I wanted a car that performed better in winter weather that I could use as a DD. Both of the others have a nicer interior, but it really depends on what you want it for. If you want to DD it and track it, the Evo is the best choice of the 3 for the track IMO.

Reliability wise, I've had no issues in 2 1/2 years that the warranty hasn't covered. All minor stuff.

I don't mind the Evo as a DD, it's a bit loud in 5th gear on the highway. Also, getting an insurance quote ahead of time isn't a bad decision. Don't want to buy, then not be able to afford it since the high insurance rates aren't planned.

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
my question is do u think the evo is a car i can have as a daily driver and still take to the track?
yes
And is this a car i can get and 10+ years from now if i still have it i wont feel like a goofball ?
idk ill answer you in 10years
How is the evo as a daily driver?
awesome i DD mine and will always
Is it a reliable car?
No problems here for me, alot is how you treat it... as for mechanical problems, all cars just have them whethere user error or installation

·
Registered
277 Posts
My previous car was a G35 coupe, and I have to say the evo is a different driving experience. Unlike the rwd V6, you are going to be replacing clutches often if you are used to driving aggressively from red lights. You can still burn people off of the line but you have to relearn how to drive since you can no longer peel out and spin those rear wheels like in a 350z,g35 coupe.( I destroyed my stock clutch in under 3 months.) It's still a fun car to drive but more so for the experience of acceleration as you take exits at faster than normal speeds, or twisting roads where you can enjoy the cars handling. The g35 coupe had rear seats, unlike the 350z, but having a sedan is much more comfortable for passengers for obvious reasons. If you plan on having kids someday, a stroller fits just fine in the back seat along with a car seat, but forget about the trunk, it's more of a trunk in theory than in practice. I traded in my evolution because I live in the northeast where it snows heavily and an awd sedan just seemed more practical than a 4 seater luxury sports car. The evolution is reliable as long as you aren't tossing in new turbos that the stock block cannot handle. If you expect to track the car you will not only need to be able to afford the car and upgrades, but also have a financial buffer in the event that some catastrophic event happens...you hit a wall, you melt the clutch, your brake pads need changing from constant tracking. Deployment will give you the opportunity to save but there are many other considerations you will have to save for. As they say, you have to pay to play. In closing, unless you have access to around 60k, it may be more cost effective for you to buy an evo as a DD and something like a used 300zx to beat on. Just my two cents. Hoaah?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice ppl.... I wasn't planning on making this car a weekend track car .. just something occasional

Sn : how is this car to work on? I've been looking into alot of boltons and such ams for example and it doenst seem to difficult or expensive for me anyways.

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
easy because the front bumper is just some bolts and pop off clips which makes life alot easier.....

getting to the turbo is a bitch tho

·
Registered
807 Posts
Don't bother with a G37 (unless your looking for only luxury), my friend had one, I helped him install almost every bolt on you can do to it and it was slow as fuck, I could keep up with him at half throttle while he was at WOT, he just recently sold it and bought a STi instead. 370 would be the way to go if your trying to decide between a G37 or a 370. Sounds like your leaning more towards the Evo anyways, looking for a track/DD car and looking to install a few mods then the Evo is your car. 370 would be good if you were looking for purely a DD. The only thing that sucks about the Evo is the interior.

how is this car to work on? I've been looking into alot of boltons and such ams for example and it doenst seem to difficult or expensive for me anyways.
If you've ever worked on cars before its pretty easy, if your looking to do all the bolt ons you won't have any problems EXCEPT for the downpipe, that is a huge bitch to install.

·
[CEEvo Treasurer]
1,705 Posts
I had an SRT-4 and am not ashamed. Most people who tell you not to mention it probably never had any experience behind the wheel of one or their firs encounter was some douche with a side exit and waste gate revving on them. I loved and still miss my SRT-4. At one point I had both cars in the stable. The wife took the SRT as her daily and I used the evo as mine. It was paid off and I ended up selling my 04 for $10k.

Moving to the evo was a no brainer coming from the SRT. The handling is the first thing you'll notice. Second how quiet it is compared to the srt. you'll only miss the difference in payments and at the pump.

From my own 1 autox experience it was a lot of fun and there are a lot of folks racing theirs. In te nyears you probably wont have it. I don't think it's one of those kind of cars. As far as reliability I haven't had any issues(didn't havy any with the SRT except boost leaks) I don't push my car too hard though. I have an 08 with only 16k miles though. We usually dd the wife's car(which is now a 2011 sti).

Just my two cents.

Kris

·
Banned
1,664 Posts
I can say from experience that my past 2 cars have been a 93.5 Toyota Supra TT (which I loved! best car ever) and then moved on to an Infiniti G37 for some of the same reasons you gave.

I was never happy with the G37. It is a very nice car, but it is what I consider a 'tweener car. It wanted to be a sports car but really was just a luxury car with a nice sounding exhaust and a good looking body style. It has a decent amount of horsepower, but it is NA so it is slower than the Evo. Also, being a RWD and widebody it wasn't very good at turns. The backseat is actually very spacious and has great bucket seats... once you are able to get into it, but even with the driver & front passenger seats up almost as far as they can go, backseat passengers will barely have 2" leg room. The rear trunk is non-existent.

I would say that the G37 does have a couple of pro's over the Evo though. First, the fuel gauge is much better and actually gives a fairly accurate reading to the exact mileage left and not in 10 mile increments. Second, the fuel tank on the G37 is much bigger and will actually get about 300-320 miles per fill up. Road trips in the Evo are a pain in the butt because it only gets 200 miles per tank. Also, while I do have the Rockford Fosgate audio package in my 2011 MR touring, the Bose system in the G37 was much clearer and the ipod access worked flawlessly. I am about ready to rip out my Rockford headunit in my MR so that I can put in an aftermarket DVD/Navi unit just so I can get my ipod working again.

The G37 and Evo both come with roadside assistance, but Infiniti dealerships are far superior in customer service than Mitsubishi's. Personally, I have found Mitsubishi dealerships to be the absolute worst in customer service that I have ever dealt with.

Evo vs G37: I absolutely love my Evo in comparison and finally have found a car that I've liked since my Supra. It took about 8 years to say that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ive pretty much already decided snakes, now i just gotta read up and learn all the ins and outs of this car (evox)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts