Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

i have been experiencing some p0304 misfire issues and 3x i have had my plug gap get closed . i was supposed to get a boroscope check done this weekend.

I was cruising at about 60mph no load just commuting home from work and i experienced some hesitation and then a bunch of rattling and then Check engine light. At this point the motor shut down and I exited immediately and put it in neutral and coasted to a stop. Where i had the car towed home/

I looked under the hood and didnt see any oil or spray, also i didnt see any smoke from the engine. I pulled the engine code and it was a p0304. I removed the cyl #4 spark plug and found this. Not sure if the head of the spark plug has made its way to the turbo or not, but so far it seems there isnt a thrown rod. This is my only daily driver, so I am pretty much screwed on getting into work tomorrow. I will have to call in and say i have car trouble.

I used mitsubishi road side to get it towed to my house. My current mods are drop in filter cosworth, grimmspeed 3 port, and a high flow cat, and a tune by evolution dynamics.

If the turbo and block are salvageable i hope i can minimize downtime and get it back up an running as soos as possible. In the meantime i can arrange for a rental car, or look for a cheap beater.

:(

Attachments

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Looks like the piston smashed the plug. Good luck do a comp test and boroscope it.

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
Sorry to hear man. Hope it's easily fixable

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
First and foremost, sorry for your loss. I've been there myself, and know what it feels like to have an engine failure. Secondly, I see that you're located in Houston, Texas. How far are you away from 8967 Gilder Rd in Houston? Our new full service facility is located there, and we'd love to help get your on the road again asap. We have two car trailers, and would be more then happy to pick your car up. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

[email protected]

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
My recommendation is buy a beater. You won't regret having a second cheap car that gets you from point a to b always in addition to the evo. I have had two motors go down in the last year and a half. My $2,000 95 POS honda accord has paid for itself many times over and its my DD now.

Sucks to hear though, especially since your car was mostly stock. Sometimes shit just happens. It sounds like your core should be usable though. If anything you can sleeve the block assuming no holes are in it which is still cheaper than a new core. Keep it 2.0L if you want simple and some basic drop ins and you should be good to go.

Good luck on the fix and feel free to PM if you have questions, I've been through this one before lol.

Also your head should hopefully be able to be cleaned up as the spark plug doesn't look too terrible. Deck it, clean it up at the machinist and pop it back on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just looked at the spark plug, and the grounding strap is still with the plug as i just pulled it off the smashed metal. It seems maybe a few tiny pieces of ceramic may have been lost in the cylinder, but of course the real extent of damage will be seen once its all taken apart.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Have you contacted KevinD at Evolution Dynamics? He answers almost immediately. If not let me know I will get him on the line!

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
You either had a valve break off and get smashed into the plug or the piston separated from the rod and hit it. Either way it's new motor time. Like Murlo said, get a beater for a daily and start taking it all apart to see how much it's going to take.

·
[Local Team Member], aka JDAVID-EVO X
16,650 Posts
You either had a valve break off and get smashed into the plug or the piston separated from the rod and hit it. Either way it's new motor time. Like Murlo said, get a beater for a daily and start taking it all apart to see how much it's going to take.
:+1: good luck with this build bro :(

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
if you were having issues with P0304 codes and the plugs needing regapped, it sounds like the piston was contacting the plug. Usually when that happens, its pretty sudden and drastic. When you cleared the code and reset the gap, how long would it take before you'd have issues again?

1 - 20 of 171 Posts