Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live up in canada...and its gets retard cold up here, just wondering if you guys have a block heater installed on your evos?...I asked the dealer where i got my car, and they said there isnt one for my car, cuz supposely these cars can start in -37c no prob...I kinda question that, cuz like i said its friiggeen cold up here, I look into a aftermarket company that makes block heaters, and sure enough they have our evo x listed there as well, its actually the same one used in a GTS...is my dealer just stupid????...if anyone has one out there, can they show me where it is?..and I will give them a christmas cookie :D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Mine came with one from the dealer.. I didnt even have an option to take it or not. Same with my two other buddies who bought Evos from the same dealer (Calgary). It is pretty hard on the engine to start up in our cold temps with out being plugged in. It will do it, but it wont like it

·
Registered
939 Posts
I live up in canada...and its gets retard cold up here, just wondering if you guys have a block heater installed on your evos?...I asked the dealer where i got my car, and they said there isnt one for my car, cuz supposely these cars can start in -37c no prob...I kinda question that, cuz like i said its friiggeen cold up here, I look into a aftermarket company that makes block heaters, and sure enough they have our evo x listed there as well, its actually the same one used in a GTS...is my dealer just stupid????...if anyone has one out there, can they show me where it is?..and I will give them a christmas cookie :D
Your "dealer" doesn't know what he is talking about.

Did you talk to the parts department? If they won't even look it up in their computer they are being lazy and need to smarten up.

-37 is gonna be hard on ANY engine, no matter how well built it is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow thanks for the input guys, shitty thing is that, we only have 2 dealerships in the city, the place i bought the car is the one that claims "huh" about block heaters...and the other well never really asked, hmmm

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have block heater to install in car, they say its left front of engine...anyone with evo x with one? care to share some pics?

·
Registered
1 Posts
a
I have block heater to install in car, they say its left front of engine...anyone with evo x with one? care to share some pics?
I don't have the pic right now, but I got one in my car. It in located in the front right of the engine. I went to Napa and order it for my car its about $37 in Fairbanks Alaska. It stupid cold up here. Anyway there is a hole in the front left of the engine where the block heater go in. It very simple to install. If you still have question feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
As you look at the engine bay, the cord/plug for the block heater (if installed) will likely be sat behind the right hand (drivers side) headlight, forward and below the main fuse/relay panel.

Just look down into the area shown in this pic ;)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
wow thanks for the input guys, shitty thing is that, we only have 2 dealerships in the city, the place i bought the car is the one that claims "huh" about block heaters...and the other well never really asked, hmmm
What city do you live in?

·
Administrator
24,201 Posts
A block heater isn't a bad idea anywhere in the winter...if nothing else, it should keep the oil warm, minimizing wear on cold starts.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Mine came with block heater with the cable in the exact spot illustrated above. If you have it you will seek the cord tie-wrapped at the side of the air filter housing below the fuse box. In fact mine is plugged in as we speak as we are getting near record cold temperatures (-30C). :(

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Mine came with block heater with the cable in the exact spot illustrated above. If you have it you will seek the cord tie-wrapped at the side of the air filter housing below the fuse box. In fact mine is plugged in as we speak as we are getting near record cold temperatures (-30C). :(
hahah I hear we were the 2nd coldest place in the world tonight in C-town (my friend send me a pic of her in-car temp thing reading -33 which is with out wind)... :p Cant say I miss that right now... its only a brisk +25 right now in West Palm Beach at 1:30am lol the Evo is loving it :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahah I hear we were the 2nd coldest place in the world tonight in C-town (my friend send me a pic of her in-car temp thing reading -33 which is with out wind)... :p Cant say I miss that right now... its only a brisk +25 right now in West Palm Beach at 1:30am lol the Evo is loving it :)
hahahaa nice

·
Registered
56 Posts
My car didn't come with a block heater when I bought it, it was an option to have one, which I find was kinda dumb especially in Calgary winters. I went one winter without one, and going through this winter without one either. I might end up getting one depending on how the rest of the winter goes, but I can tell you all this, the Evo X sounds REAAAALLLLLY rough when you start it up in -30C weather. It has this really terrible sounding whine when it first starts up, then it goes away after about 5-10 seconds depending on how cold it is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My car didn't come with a block heater when I bought it, it was an option to have one, which I find was kinda dumb especially in Calgary winters. I went one winter without one, and going through this winter without one either. I might end up getting one depending on how the rest of the winter goes, but I can tell you all this, the Evo X sounds REAAAALLLLLY rough when you start it up in -30C weather. It has this really terrible sounding whine when it first starts up, then it goes away after about 5-10 seconds depending on how cold it is.

so true about the whinning sound in the cold, i get that too...hahaha here in winnipeg we supposed to hit tonight -36 with the windchill, but i found my solution which was to install one myself, i tell ya its makes a world of a diff when starting and warmin up car :godance:

·
Registered
123 Posts
regarding this block heater.

As you look at the engine bay, the cord/plug for the block heater (if installed) will likely be sat behind the right hand (drivers side) headlight, forward and below the main fuse/relay panel.

Just look down into the area shown in this pic ;)
i have this installed on my evo too it was factory.
but what i want to know is, what kind of block heater do we have? is it installed in the freeze plug or is this the blanket one that warms up the oil pan?

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
mine as a block heater. It defently comes in handy. My 370z had one and while other cars were dead as a door nail during the -59*C a few winters ago, mine fired up with no problem. Sounded like a tank until it warmed up..lol.

Just by the driver headlights theres a wire there, thats the block heater cord.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts